You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:58 pm 

Do parents of kids with food allergies other than peanuts get ask: "Oh, you ate milk/ egg/ tree nut/ fish/ shellfish/ soy/ wheat while you were pregnant/breastfeeding?"

I was asked of this during a walk with my neighbour today. I like her a lot, don't get me wrong. But when we talked about dd's peanut allergy, she asked me whether I ate peanut while I was pregnant? Added to this was that she didn't because of her allergy history. I'm sure she didn't mean no harm, but I felt like I was being blamed for dd's allergy!!! What can you say to that? The only thing I was able to come up with was: "Well yes, and that doesn't mean it's the cause of her allergy."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:32 pm 

Oh man...do I hate when people ask those questions because it is so ignorant and untrue. My husband has allergies...yes I avoided certain foods (like nuts) and yes my children still have allergies. Honestly, don't most women eat chicken...and their child is not allergic... just mine. I'm sure everyone else on this site, whose kids have allergies, ate chicken and their kids are not allergic to chicken. Comments like that really piss me off! :evil: It seems like a self-righteous, I'm a good mother you're not, cheap shot, that I do not tolerate, and soon you won't either.

I personally like to blame genetic modification, chemicals, pesticides and fertilizers,( and hormones and antibiotic injections for animal based allergens ). I typically say "society has screwed with our food supply, and altered it in a way that it no longer resembles what mother nature intended. Young kids are the most sensitive to it, and adult onset allergies are on the rise too. There isn't something wrong with the people affected, they are typically healthy people with really healthy immune systems that recognize that the food has been screwed with and its genetic structure is not natural. They are like the "canary in a mine" telling us that there is something wrong here!" That usually gets them off my back, and maybe realize that there is someone at fault here other than the mother.

That steers the conversation to one about how yes, society has screwed with our food and of course DUH someone will have a reaction to this strange "super peanut" that resists pests and grows wonderfully under less than ideal growing conditions, that is sprayed with numerous chemicals. I mean...isn't being a food producer in north america all about profit...I mean who cares that the food is dangerous, unnatural and can kill some of the people who consume it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

I usually counter similar type statements with an exsaperated, "Oh, they don't know what causes allergies! More people than ever are developing allergies, some in their adult stage of life. Oh yeah, my spotless kitchen :roll: caused her asthma too, not!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:28 am 

I'm usually very vague when I get that question. I say "No one knows exactly what causes a person to become allergic. There is no magic formula to avoid this. If it was as simple as all women eliminating peanut butter from their diet while pregnant and breastfeeding, word would have gotten out by now."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:14 am 

If you cruise around the peanut allergy site - a lot of people there are telling people don't eat peanuts when pregnant/nursing. Also, don't feed peanut until after 2 years (or five years depending on who is saying it).

I avoided penicillin during my pregnancies because my father-in-law is anaphylactic and I was afraid my baby might have a reaction in utero. The first two are allergic to it anyway.

As for my come-back - it's pretty simple. "I really shouldn't have eaten all those insects while I was pregant" (since that's my youngest son's allergy).

When people question you about your diet - feel free to point out at least you weren't dumb enough to eat bugs. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:59 pm 

LOL AnnaMarie, good comeback!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:11 am 

I think some of your "comebacks" are priceless!!! I'll have to remember the one about the bugs! :lol: honestly, don't people think before they say things sometimes??!!! I liked the answer regarding chicken too. Just goes to show, unless you have allergies or live with an allergic family member, you really don't have a clue about how serious they can be!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure this counts as a "comeback" as such, but I really liked the defence of mothers that Dr. Scott Sicherer (a leading allergy researcher at N.Y.'s Mt. Sinai) provided to Allergic Living last year.

On the issue of why so much peanut allergy now/breastfeeding debate, he said: "We've also seen rise in cat allergies and, as far as I know, mothers aren't eating more cats than they used to."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:53 pm 

That is priceless!!! :lol: You gave me my chuckle for the day!!!! :lol: