You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Communion
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:19 am 

Any peanut allergic Catholics out there? :-) My daughter is making her First Communion in a couple of months. Does anybody know how and where the hosts are made or how I could find out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:07 am 

Congratulations! My non-allergic daughter had her First Communion last Spring.

The host is usually made at a convent by nuns. Your priest would have this info. I understand that the nuns are extremely careful to keep the host "pure"!

I would be more worried about contamination from the hands of the Eucharistic Ministers, and whomever might have drank from the Chalice before your daughter.
I saw on the peanutallergy.com board this same concern. The parents talked with the priest and would try to get the PA allergic daughter in first, so as to avoid cross-contamination from others. He also said he washes his hands before Mass.

A short meeting with your Priest should set your mind at ease, and provide you the info for the Host.

Someone even suggested that one of the parents of the PA child could become a Eucharistic Minister to avoid any worries!

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:11 am 

My peanut-allergic son had his First Communion many years ago. We found that the Host was very carefully handled and everyone involved were aware they were offering something to be consumed. Our priest gave us all the information we needed. My son has never had a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:57 pm 

I had my communion 5 years ago and have been having the hosts for many, many years and have never had a problem. But, to be extra safe have a teacher who has washed her hands and deals with these allergies all day to serve her the host. This way you know that it will be given to her safely! Lauren