You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bread Crumbs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:35 pm 

Does anyone know of any "safe" bread crumbs? Can you used rolled oats as a substitute for bread crumbs?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:48 pm 

For chicken pieces I use Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs.

I also sometimes make my own bread crumbs - for turkey stuffing we use a combination of bread pieces and bread crumbs. We dry a few pieces of bread and throw it in a blender.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:28 am 

I've used rolled oats in place of bread crumbs in my meat loaf....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:19 am 

Thanks!

AnneMarie - Thanks I'll have to look for the Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs. Do they resemble actual bread crumbs or the cereal?

Ethansmom - I had wondered about using rolled oats instead so I'm happy to know it works. My inquiry was for meatloaf & meatballs.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:11 am 

The Corn Flake Crumbs are actually made from corn flakes. (If I run low I stick some Corn Flakes in a plastic baggy and go over it with a rolling pin.)

I soak the chicken (boneless, skinless) in Italian Salad Dressing, then coat with the crumbs and bake. It's delicious cold for picnics too. :D

I've used the rolled oats in meatloaf and meatballs and it works good for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:53 pm 

I've also used crunched up Premium Plus saltine crackers as a substitute for bread crumbs...but I don't know for certain if they are free of sesame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:24 pm 

Cooked millet is an excellent substitute for breadcrumbs in meatloaf. Bob's redmill products are manufactured in a plant with nuts and other allergens. I use OakManor millet--it's available in Loblaw stores in Ontario. (plus WholeFoods orders it for me.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:40 pm 

Ethansmom - I haven't really ventured into the cracker zone yet! Every time I look at one they're manufactured in the same plant/line, etc as sesame. But it'll be something to keep in mind when I may want to try bringing crackers into our house

Thanks for the alternative Lisa. I read your post in another thread about trying to promote them since they provide a staple for your kitchen...which section would I find millet in? I've actually never even heard of it but would be willing to check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:24 am 

Yay! A potential millet convert :lol: Millet actually has more iron and B-vitamins than rice. check it out at www.nutritiondata.com:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21Ty.html
When cooked, it looks like couscous. I love millet, and when one of my friends stayed with me for a few days, she liked it so much that we had millet porridge for breakfast, and millet for lunch and dinner. My parents and one of my sisters aren't all that enthusiastic about plain millet, but they like it when eaten with stir-fried vegetables or with meat. And my mom is enthusiastic about using it in meatloaf---she can't use egg in meatloaf and the millet holds the meatloaf together better than breadcrumbs. I really like millet porridge which I make by grinding the millet in a coffee grinder and cooking it like one would cook cream of wheat. (I add cinnamon and sometimes allspice and some honey or succanat and some fruit.)

My local Loblaws doesn't actually sell it regularly. They did, however, order it for me the one time I asked them---all Loblaw stores in Ontario can order Oak Manor products. I believe it was in the cereal section.

My mom can get it in the Niagara region from a local health food store---they order it for her if it is not in stock. It is easy to find millet---just tricky to find the prepackaged kind that is safe for the nut allergic.

Theoretically, millet should be on the shelves at Whole Foods in Toronto. They sell all other Oak Manor products, and they keep on telling me that they don't know why they don't have millet. I did find it on the shelves once---but they hadn't entered the price in the computer so it wouldn't scan. At least they order it for me. If I keep on bugging them enough maybe millet will appear---at Whole Foods Oak Manor products are in two sections--the baking section and the cereal section (if it is there the millet is with the cereals.)

I did call Oak Manor (they don't have a number on their products, but I looked them up) and asked them about nut cross-contamination---their plant does not contain nuts. I was also impressed that they label for wheat contamination--at least on their rice cereal. (millet has no warning) instead of the usual, vague "may contain wheat," they write (on the bottom of the bag): "we proces our rice products with the same equipment as our gluten products. We take great care to clean our equipment, however, we ask celiacs to use their own judgement when using our rice products. We will not guarantee 100% gluten free."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:33 am 

ethansmom wrote:
I've also used crunched up Premium Plus saltine crackers as a substitute for bread crumbs...but I don't know for certain if they are free of sesame.

Christie (in Canada) does label *may contain* if there's a risk of cross-contamination with sesame seeds. There is quite a variety of safe crackers they have available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:57 pm 

We use a few of the Christie cracker products that are free of sesame seed: Premium Plus (I will sometimes crumble these when I need bread crumbs), Sociables and Triscuits. Our son loves all these crackers. We also enjoy Kraft Stoned Wheat Thins. We've been safely eating these for a couple of years now, and they are absolute "must-haves" in our home. We must also avoid sunflower seeds (and oil - which is in SO MANY cracker and chip products these days!), peanuts, nuts, egg, fish, mustard, green peas and pineapple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:04 pm 

Thanks for the info on the crackers. I've been afraid to venture into new ones because I've run into situations of more then 1 occasion where I buy a product that looks safe, get home, call the company and it's not safe. My neighgour gets a lot of food from me that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:27 pm 

I try to shop for *new* products during the work day. I stand in the grocery isle and call the companies to find out if it's safe or not. I do get some weird looks, especially when I get excited about buying something others take for granted. :)

Post subject: Re: Bread Crumbs
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:11 pm 

Sha-Sha organic bread crumbs have no sesame in them and no warning for sesame. I've also asked in their retail store (Etobicoke) and they said no sesame. I've also browsed over many of their other loaves and no sesame existed. Note the bread crumbs are multi-grain - so there are other types of seeds.

Also check out Paneriso bread crumbs
http://well.ca/products/paneriso-foods- ... ngl2u98pa5

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies