You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Betty Crocker
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:54 am 

I received a reply from Betty Crocker. They seem to be a lot more allergy-aware than Duncan Hines. They even included some reference info (although I am surprised they didn't also mention Anaphylaxis Canada).

Here is my question:
I am writing to inquire about the possibility of cross-contamination with nuts and peanuts. I am referring to your cake mixes and frostings, specifically SuperMoist cake mixes (White and French Vanilla ) and Rich & Creamy frostings (Butter Cream and Creamy White) and Whipped frostings (Butter Cream, Fluffy White and French Vanilla). However, I would also like to know if there are any other of your cake mixes and frostings with the possibility of cross-contamination with these allergens. I look forward to your reply.

Betty Crocker's reply:
Thank you for contacting us regarding your questions about certain ingredients in our products. As manufacturers and consumers, we understand your concerns about potential allergens in the foods that we eat.

If our product contains one of the most serious food allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, sesame seeds, milk, egg, fish and shellfish, soy and wheat), that ingredient is always listed in the ingredient panel.

Our primary goal is to provide accurate information and we believe this is best accomplished by always referring to the ingredient panel on each product package. We recommend this information be reviewed at each purchase, as ingredient information will change to reflect such things as reformulations and product improvements.

We hope this information helps you. You may wish to contact the following organization regarding food allergies:

Allergy-Asthma Information Association
32 Mare Cres.
Box 100
Etobicoke, ON M9W 7E8
Telephone: 416-679-9521
Toll-Free: 1-800-611-7011
Web Site: www.aaia.ca

Although they cannot provide specific ingredient information regarding a particular product, they are a good resource to help in the management of your allergies and sensitivities.

We appreciate your interest. Please contact us again with any further questions or comments.

Last edited by Storm on Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:24 am 

Betty Crocker is owned by General Mills. I have trusted GM labelling for years - and that includes Betty Crocker products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:01 pm 

Took a bit of searching, but I found a site that I often find helpful regarding company policies.

http://www.nuconnexions.com/Allergy/

At the little arrow, click on "Food labelling and food companies"

Betty Crocker is listed under General Mills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:52 am 

I contacted numerous companies about allergy labelling to--So Good-with the trace of milk in their product line to see if it was removed-same kind of mumbo jumbo and my response back to them is that I would like the word NO instead of the song and dance so I would take the song and dance as there was still traces-I have rec'd no response
Kraft and Fleishmans with milk traces and numerous others for sulphites--no one wants to say no traces--even though the label does say it is dairy free, I've been told it needs to say milk free to have no milk