You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:03 am 

This article appeared in 2004. It's hard to believe that there are schools out there that would discriminate like this. It's too bad the family had to sue to be heard! Interesting info on the church too.

[MA, USA] School to pay family in peanut allergy case

Monday, August 23, 2004

By Elaine Allegrini, Enterprise staff writer
BROCKTON — St. Edward's School did not do enough last year to accommodate a kindergarten student with a severe peanut allergy, according to a finding of the federal Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.

Linda Neault of Avon filed the complaint on behalf of her daughter, Jillian, 6, who suffers from a severe peanut allergy.

Neault and her husband, James, enrolled Jillian in St. Edward's kindergarten program in July 2003, noting that the child was "highly allergic to peanuts," according to documents from the DOE's Office of Civil Rights. On Aug. 26, they were notified that the school could not accommodate Jillian's allergy.

The complete article is here: http://www.enterprisenews.com/articles/ ... news03.txt

Last edited by Storm on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:33 am 
Site Admin

Storm, Would you please edit that post just showing a para or two and then the link?

Otherwise, you're breaching this news outlet's copyright. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:45 am 

This happened to me, too. It was a very small school with a Vice Principal. Luckily, the supervisor of the VP who siad Aaron could not come to the local PUBLIIC school, came to a meeting and said "So Mrs. Lee, what do you want?" and I said 'I just want the school to follow the guidelines in the Handbook." and she agreed. The man who had refused to have Aaron attend said afterwards that he wasn't aware of the Handbook, or that there was a policy, but he was in charge of the school, and he had three months between the time he said Aaron could not come and the time I met with him and his supervisor so he had lots of time to find out if he had wanted to. I feel he just did not want to trouble himself. :evil: :evil: :evil:

(After a year, I moved Aaron over to the school that the supervisor was in charge of and she has been great.)