You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Reactions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:21 pm 

Is it possible for a skin reaction to be localized? I've been reading that a peanut reaction can result in itching all over but is it possible for it to be in one spot only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:36 pm 

The only thing about reactions that is *for certain* is that nothing is for certain. :shock:

I've had food reactions that caused hives and itching only on my back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:38 pm 

That's exactly what happened to my daughter the other day. It was only her back. I found out later that she had eaten a Timbit and put two and two together. But then I got thinking that it was strange that it was only her back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:54 pm 

These days - that's a *may contain* reaction for me. If I actually eat the allergen I would expect much more to happen. And the two most common places for me are either my back, or on my face around the hair line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:54 pm 

The day my daughters preschool fed her a "may conatin" jelly bean, my daughter said her back felt funny. I did not check it for hives...I was expecting the reaction to be on her face if anywhere. Apparently, I should have checked it. I just gave her benadryll and went to the hospital just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:46 am 

When dd has her first allergic reaction to peanut last month, it was localized. Only hives and swelling of her mouth and right eye. My doctor said it was probably because she didn't ingest it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:48 pm 

wow i didn`t know timbits could be so deadly..I have a life threatining Peanut allergy too and i have been eating Timbits since i was 3!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:55 pm 

My SIL used to work at Tim Hortons and says that it is a truly scary place for anyone with nut allergies! Nuts all over the counter, donuts and timbits that share displays with nut filled donuts, and EVEN sharing baking pans, mixing bowls etc. without washing them in between!

So not worth it to eat there...even if you have not had a reaction yet, I mean YET, those timbits might be enough exposure to cause your allergy to become more severe.

Post subject: Tim Hortens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:40 pm 

I have to agree with Saskmommyof2 . Tim Hortens is certainly not worth the risk. I have not had a donut for over 13 years now and I am o.k. with that. The risk is not worth the end result. An Ana. reaction and I have had my fair share of them. Look at what they offer, cookies with peanuts and nuts, donuts with same, no end to it. I will not even take a coffee at the drive thru. Not worth the risk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:52 pm 

If you read their signs, Tim Hortons actually says that if you have allergies, it's best not to eat there as they cannot guarantee anything. (At least they are upfront about it...)

See http://www.timhortons.com/en/menu/menu_info.html#aa:

Quote:
If I have an allergy, can I eat any Tim Hortons products?

If you have a food allergy, please be aware that Tim Hortons products may contain, or have come into contact with, peanuts, nuts or other possible allergens. Tim Hortons is a bakery environment, serving baked goods that are not in sealed packages. Therefore, we unfortunately cannot guarantee a 100% allergy-free environment.

If you would like more information about ingredients or allergies, please call our customer assistance line at 1-888-601-1616 (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time).

We have always avoided Tim Hortons and pretty much any place that makes baked good because of the high risk of cross-contamination with peanuts and nuts (and for us, dairy and eggs). It's just not worth the risk.

K.

Post subject: Kris[y Kreme
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:43 pm 

We have found that Krispy Kreme donuts do not have peanuts and nuts. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer places that sell them. My PA son buys them at gas stations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:19 am 

Yes, Krispy Kreme have been closing a lot of their shops in Canada. Actually, it's getting easier and easier to find them in the UK now. My local Tesco store carries them now.

There is a discussion thread about donuts in the link below with useful info on Krispy Kreme: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319

Post subject: Tim Hortons
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:26 pm 

Think about it. Why are you eating that stuff, anyway.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:02 am