You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:33 am 

Don't read this if you don't like to know about a movie ahead of time....I saw the movie "Firewall" with Harrison Ford last night. There is a scary scene where a criminal uses a child's peanut allergy as a weapon against the family. It was a little upsetting to me, so I would advise you to avoid this movie if you think it might be upsetting for you or perhaps a young teen. The criminal gives a child a peanut cookie and has hidden the epipens. Eventually he hands them to the parents who administer them, and then the child is ok. More scary than guns to most of us!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:49 am 

That is disturbing... but at least it's relatively accurate and shows the severity of allergies. Not like those silly movies like Monster in Law and Hitch where allergies are used as humour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:03 am 

I do want to see Firewall. If my husband finds out there's an allergy scene I'm not sure he'll be willing. They don't upset him in the parental way - they just make him angry because movies are his escape from reality and he doesn't like the worst part of his reality pushing it's way in.

As for the other two movies, Monster-in-Law was about a crazy lady. And personally, I really liked the allergy scene in Hitch. I found it rather realisitic - in a funny sort of way. His reaction was similar to what mine used to be - and they usually happened in restaurants. And benedryl became my little self-support bottle. I still laugh whenever I give my grandson a drinking box, thinking of Will Smith with a straw in his benedryl. (I admit I never tried it that way - but I would have if i thought of it. :lol: ) Not ALL allergies are fatal - and it's unrealistic to expect them to be shown that way in movies. And, being an adult that suddenly started reacting I can honestly tell you that I did not run to the ER when I was all swollen like Hitch.

I run in fear from something smaller then an ant. If I couldn't have a sense of humour about it, I think I would go crazy -- or I would just become a very bitter person.

Let the flogging begin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:24 am 

Well, I already did my rant about Monster In Law in the Irresponsible Media thread so I'm not going to repeat it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:21 pm 

Good point Storm. Perhaps some of the allergy unaware people may be educated by this movie. It does seem realistic.