You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Egg Allergy Question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:58 pm 

I've been thinking a lot about my daughters reaction yesterday to her cupcake. The ONLY thing I can think of that she could have reacted to was the egg. She's allergic to Peanuts, Sesame, Soy & Chickpea as far as we know. We ordered these cupcakes from The Cupcake Shoppe in Toronto that is nut free and I had asked about the sesame too. We had them last weekend without an incident (trial run) and then yesterday for my son's baptism she had a reaction. She complained about her tongue and had 1 hive appear on her chin, 1 under her chin and a bunch on her neck. One dose of Benedryl did the trick and worked very quickly.

I've made her cupcakes before but the icing has never had egg in it. These cupcakes have egg whites in the icing. Also eggs in the cupcakes. But she's had my baked good before with eggs in them.

So here's my question - is it possible to only be allergic to raw eggs and be ok with cooked eggs? She won't go near a normal cooked egg. We've offered it to her before but she has no interest. It's the only thing I can think of. Other ingredients just included flour, sugar & butter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:18 am 

As an adult with egg allergies, I have always been told by allergists that some people do tolerate baked goods with egg. The reason is because it is diluted, and cooked allergen doesn't seem to bring on the reactions like "raw" protein (or breakfast eggs which may not be "well-done"). I have not had an anaphylactic egg reaction. I have tested RAST positive for egg white and on the skin tests several times. No outgrowing this at my age. And because some of my other allergies have gotten worse, I am avoiding all eggs now.

In children, they may still outgrow the allergy. This is the purpose of the "elimination diet." My friends daughter had an anaphylactic reaction to egg at 1 yr in a meringue... RAST and skin were strong positive. They completely avoided egg all through the preschool years. She outgrew this around age 6.

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:24 pm 

I think I missed the beggining of the story on this... but you mentionned they are peanut free and you asked about sesame... I don't see that you asked about soy, did you mention it to them? I don't know how their kitchen is done, but cross-contamination with soy is very possible. Just a thought from quikly looking at your post.

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:31 pm 

Sounds like a pretty bad reaction---you definitely don't want to mess with that food whatever it is. It is scary not to know.

I've heard that children who are allergic to a certain food often have an aversion to eating it. not sure how that works---how do they know they are allergic? but I'd take your daughter's dislike of egg seriously. I have an extreme aversion to the smell of peanuts---part of this might just be psychological, but I strongly suspect that I can smell peanuts when others cannot--peanuts smell very strong to me. I've wondered if that is my body's way of warning me that peanuts are dangerous. Maybe it is the same with your daughter and egg.

Soy crossed my mind too because you mentioned that your daughter is allergic to a lot of legumes and peanut-allergic people are sometimes also allergic to soy. Soy is in so many things---if the cupcake shop doesn't use very many additives, though, it wouldn't be as likely to be in there. there are lots of different words for soy...i.e. "lecithin" is often soy.

Good luck with this. I hope you find out what the allergy is soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:41 am 

Thanks

The cupcake shoppe doesn't use many ingredients thankfully and it's butter based with no shortening. She's never had a severe reaction to Soy (not that I want to test it!). I'm leaning towards the egg allergy and will ask to have her tested. Meanwhile - we'll just add it to our avoidance list!