Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:55 am 

In the December 19, 2005 issue of People magazine
(the one with "Why Brad is Adopting" on the cover):

"Kiss of Death - A teen dies of an allergic reaction to peanut butter eaten by her boyfriend", pages 116 to 120.

I found it to be a very good article with lots of info and good perspective, showing how challenging it can be to live with severe FAs. It also highlights some recent teen deaths, including Christina Desforges and Sabrina Shannon.

Be warned: parts of this article might make you cry. I burst into tears when I read Robert F. Kennedy's account of rushing his son (4 years old at the time) to the ER. I don't usually react like that.... (I guess I like to think I've toughened up over the years. :? )

Karen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:05 am 

Dont subscribe or buy it. Info sound good. At the very least it may help to bring more awareness to people who suffer from life threatening allergies.

Post subject: people magazine
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:50 pm 

I too found the article very informative. Was disappointed in the brief article in the Chataleine but pleasantly surprised with the care obviously taken in writing this article in People. And it was not just a footnote either. Four pages of information. My husband read it too and agreed it was well done.

By actually printing the names of well known people, who along with their children are anaphylactic more people are likely to take note. If you are not familiar with the people involved in a story you are less apt to take it all in. We are a society who is drawn to actors, singers etc. and are interested in anything to do with them.

People I know, who probably at times doubt the seriousness of my ana, buy this magazine. I would love to call them and say - do you NOW understand? do you NOW believe me? do you understand fully NOW that I could die? But of course I won't. I have enough confrontation because of my ana normally without causing a stir.

Whomever decided to write this article for People has my everlasting thanks. :D I would love to see that article put into every newspaper across Canada.

Another magazine that is well read across the country is the Reader's Digest. If only that article could appear in it.

SusieQ

Post subject: SusieQ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:10 pm 

I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:27 am 
Site Admin

I thought the article was very good for raising awareness, and Robert F. Kennedy's personal story was beautifully told and powerful.

I was less than impressed, however, that People photographed an old model EpiPen, on which you can clearly see the expiry date of September 2002.

Post subject: Article is online
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:56 am 

If you didn't get a chance to read the People Magazine article, it's been put online by the National School Boards Association (NSBA) in the States:

- http://tinyurl.com/cspwz

or

- http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=2175&topicId=100006432&docId=l:335011469&start=1

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:01 pm 

Thanks for the links! I didn't see the People magazine. Robert F. Kennedy's family sure sounds like they have a handle on dealing with allergies. I bet people sit up and listen when Robert F. Kennedy asks about food in restaurants, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:11 pm 

I wanted to send this link to our families, but was disappointed to find that the link says it has expired and is no longer retrievable. I've done an internet search but cannot find the article. Does anyone have a current link? Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:59 am 

Mel wrote:
I wanted to send this link to our families, but was disappointed to find that the link says it has expired and is no longer retrievable. I've done an internet search but cannot find the article. Does anyone have a current link? Thank you for your help.

I found a cached version on Google. The formatting is funny because of the search terms (and because it's cached) but the text of the article is all there. I don't know how much longer Google will keep it, so copy and paste it if you want to keep it.

Kiss of Death

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:55 am 

Mel got an email address for People magazine:

people_letters@ timeinc.com

If you email them, apparently they will send you the article in text format.

K.