You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:54 pm 

We are trying to find somewhere to go for a family hoilday. There are three kids and one adult who carry epi-pens, the most troublesome one is my nephew with mulitlple allergies, milk, egg , legumes, fish, and nuts. Does anyone know of allergy cruises or resorts that specualize in this area. I am not just looking for a cruise with a specialized menu but something that is all encompassing? Anyone ever hear of anything?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:13 pm 

I've heard that disney cruise ans disney resorts are fairly allergy friendly. Someone else posted about disney cruise somewhere else on this forum.

I heard of some hawaii resort that was very knowledgable and accomidating, but I don't know the name of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:07 pm 

My sister's been to Disney World in Orlando and she says that all the restaurants there are allergy-friendly and the staff is very knowledgeable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:43 pm 

Hi there

Check out the forum under Cruise ships

As I have been looking into a family vacation as well, I thought I would pass along the places that I have come across that have different menu's to accommodate those with allergies.

Guest Access Services Desk at 1-800-438-6744 ext 70025 -Carnival Cruise Lines
info@clubmed.com - Club Med
info@sandals.com - Sandals ** these were the most knowledgeable and willing to find a suitable meals for my son.

Good luck and if you find any others, I would love to hear about them so please pass them along.

Julie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:09 pm 

was an awesome family resort that was kids heaven. They were very accomodating with my Ds's peanut, soy and sesame seed allergy. We spoke to the resort before we went and when we arrived I asked to speak to the head chef. I spoke with him the next day as we had arrived very late the day before. We are pretty good at knowing what he can't and can eat but the head chef told me that if there were any concerns about a given menu to just as for the head chef that meal and they would come out and tell me what he should or should not eat. If there was nothing that he could eat they would prepare him his own meal.

Our biggest concern was breakfast because there was peanut butter served but we were really careful with his toast and we had absolutely no problems.

HTH
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:43 pm 

How about Paradise Island in Nassau, this is the reply I received from one of their Customer Service Rep's about peanut / nut allergies.

quote]Atlantis offers dining options that cater to special dietary needs. Guests who require special attention to their diets should provide the Chef's Office with full details for special requests at least two weeks prior to arrival. On arrival, a culinary executive will arrange the times and locations for requested meals. Meals will be carefully prepared concerning food allergies or dietary restrictions.
Quote:
[/code]

Post subject: I looked at it
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:03 am 

but dh felt that it was way too large of a resort. Beaches was really small. There is only about 300 rooms. It was very pricey but alot of fun for the dks. The food was awesome and it is an all-inclusive kind of resort.

I should add that MedicAlert now has a contest to spend a five night stay at Sandals or Beaches Resort in Jamaica. Owned by the same company but Sandals is adult and Beaches is a family resort.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:31 pm 

My recommendation is skip the resort and rent a villa with your own kitchen and if you really want to go luxury, your own cook! You can even rent a villa at a resort depending on your budget. Having your own kitchen really removes the need to stress over finding the ingredients of every dish. If you have your own cook, then you can have a true vacation and relax and only have to explain the allergies to one person.

Jamaica is my favorite island because most villas include cooks and they come in all price ranges. For top end luxury villas with a cook part of a resort and golf course check out Tryall: http://www.tryallclub.com/. Note it was only affordable for our family in the off-season (April 15 to Dec 15).

See my post under the topic "I'm scared" for more web links to rent villas in the Caribbbean.

Scott