You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:54 pm 

I'm so sorry to hear about the kind of "allergic" week several others are having. Is there a full moon or something?? Thankfully, we are all recovering!

Justonemom, a couple of years ago, we also went through a 2 week period where our son was reacting to something almost everyday, and then it seemed to pass. I actually think it was too very low level exposure to a peanut sauce we had in our fridge (we did not yet know that he had a peanut allergy). Ultimately, he did test positive to peanut, even though we have never fed him peanut products, so he must have had accidental exposure along the way.

ALSO, regarding your story about eczema... when our son was about a year old, I was taking him to our family doctor for another reason, and I commented that his eczema was really bad that day, and he has these flare ups every now and then. The doctor said "That's not his eczema, I think he's having an allergic reaction". I just wanted to pass along this story as some hives have the appearance of eczema. Don't know if this might be the case for your child.

It has been over a year since our son had any kind of an allergic reaction... it seems we can now go for long stretches with nothing, and then WHAMO! ... it happens again. These constant reminders certainly keep us on our toes. I never go anywhere without Benadryl and at least one Epipen... such is life...

Post subject: shopping cart covers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:55 pm 

I recently purchase one in the baby isle at walmart. Last summer my milk-egg (maybe more) allergic child broke out in hives from sitting in a shopping cart. I hadn't put her in a shopping cart for over a year.

I bought it within the last month...still haven't used it since it only fits in regular sized shopping carts, not the enormous superstore ones.

With enough milk residue on a shopping cart to cause an allergic reaction... you've gotta wonder how germy they are too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

When dd is wearing shorts and we are going to place her in a shopping cart, we take a flyer and tear small slits in it to accomodate the bar that goes between her legs and place the flyer on the seat so that it hang out the leg hes a bit.
She has never had a reaction from the handle (i'm cringing now just thinking about that) but has had a couple of hives from the seat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:04 pm 

I witnessed another child having an allergic reaction in the grocery store the other day! ... the same grocery store where my son had his allergic reaction after contact with the grocery cart! I was just about the leave the store after finishing my shopping, and I saw a panic-stricken woman, opening up a bottle of not-yet-purchased Benadryl and preparing to give her 3 year old daugher a dose. She was looking to a store clerk for a syringe, and I quickly let her use my son's (I was with my 4 yr old son, and of course had all his medication with me). The woman told me her daugher had not even eaten anything, and I told her that's exactly what happened to my son about 6 months ago - and it was the one and only time he's received the Epipen. This woman's daughter is allergic to tree nuts. I just can't believe I witnessed this - I mean, how often does this kind of thing happen??? Really, I thought it would be extremely rare, and not 6 months later I see someone else reacting to contact with the grocery cart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:57 pm 

Julie
She was so lucky you were there to help! How frightening. Are you going to be speaking to the manager. Obviously, they have a lot of nut allergen floating around their store.

I always wonder if anyone ever wipes down the carts, anyway? Glad to see a stand with wipes outside the cart rack at our local Kroger the other day. I'm way more worried about colds and flu (because I am an adult). But if I had an allergic child, I would definitely carry a few wipes.

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:37 pm 

I'm surprised that this would happen again as well..I thought it would be rare. But then again, I'm sure that only a very small proportion of allergic reactions ever get reported. I know when I go to the allergist, I never mention non-anaphylactic reactions unless asked (and I don't get asked) just because there is always so much other allergy-related stuff to go over (we're still working on the allergic rhinitis problem.....which doesn't seem to be going away!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:27 pm 

Lisa

I mention most reactions to my allergist. I may focus on the bad ones, but I do want to let him know when I'm having a lot of little reactions also. He can sometimes run additional bloodwork if he knows I'm reacting to more, or he might try a different med. I'm one of those patients that keeps a diary of my reactions (sometimes in detail). By marking them on a calendar, I have noticed in the past year or two that they are worse in the 2 weeks before my menstrual cycle. I noticed this when I started circling these episodes on a calendar.

I also take a small notepad so I can ask questions. It's so hard to remember everything when you're trying to talk and listen at the same time. (My husband isn't usually able to go with me for an extra set of ears.)

Good luck during the upcoming pollen season,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:01 am 

Thanks for the suggestion --I do often take note of whether I have symptoms which may be related to allergies...but I don't always. I have more trouble with environmental allergies and chesttightness around my period too---the worst is just before and on the first day or two of my period. I've read that a lot of women are allergic to their hormones....and also that progestrogen (or was that estrogen) has an immunsuppressive effect which means that during the times when that hormone is low we are likely to react more. My youngest sister finds that she even seems to react to foods to which she does not usually react during her period. oops. I guess I'm getting off topic here.