You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:54 am 

My son (22 months) also has reflux and he is doing great, in the 50th percentile for growth and everything, yet I feed him low fat foods. He keeps them down and enjoys them. Fatty foods, like chips, or sugary stuff, like poptarts, make it much much worse! He is also on prilosec 10 mg int he morning (half hour before breakfast--timing is everything when it comes to PPI meds). He eats oatmeal with a crushed up 1/2 toddlers chewable every day for breakfast. Nothing fancy, just plain old quick oats,a nd he loves it. His favorite foods he east every day are ground venison, peas, green beans, pasta, and rice. He drinks rice milk four times a day, and sometimes has rice dream ice cream that I buy at the health food store. Basically like others said, I home make all his food. I don't buy too much prepackaged stuff. Gerber's veggie puffs (sweet potato flavor) are dairy/soy/egg free. He loves them for snacks. He also loves homemade pancakes. Lean protein, lots of frozen veggies (cooked in water in the microwave) and brown rice. I would definitly stay away from stuff like chips with reflux. That will make it much worse because they are greasy.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:41 am 

I volunteer 50 hours a week at a daycare, (I couldn't hold a job with her sick when she was little) The benefits of the social enviroment have been paying off, she is about ready to graduate from speech therapyl,

I found a hutterite store where the sterialized their deli slicer after every product, I plan on cooking meat and freezing it, I should do that this weekend.

I emailed for a free sample of bars, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:52 am 

sarahjo

Ok, I was wondering where she was seeing the other kids eating things she couldn't have. Could you work with the cook at the daycare to have more menus suitable for your daughter several days a week so everyone will be eating the same thing? The cook at our daycare had to work with a couple of parents with food intolerance issues, and even some religious preferences.
Yes, my daughter is very social, and loved going to daycare. When I stopped working fulll-time to stay home with her (at 18 months), we found a church preschool in our area so she could have playtime a few days a week. Even at 9, she still enjoys seeing her old daycare friends during a few weeks in the summer. They have a great summer camp program, and my company is next door.

Have a good day,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:19 pm 

a lot of lunchmeats have milk in them as a filler--that is why the go murky and sour so fast--pop tarts/cereals have milk in some so maybe cross contamination

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:38 pm 

sarahjo, I cook meat and freeze it for my son too. I also make sure to cut up frozen veggies and keep them in the freezer so the are quick and easy to microwave. Green beans and stuff are actually easier to cut up when they are frozen then when they are cooked. :)

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:04 pm 

Katarah has been on claritin for over a week and it doesn't seem to do anything, she keeps saying her nose hurts, i have tried decongest, cold medicine, nothing works. I read somewhere that sinutis can be a sign of asthma? is this common? she also complains of her legs hurting. The doctor wants to talk to us on friday about other options, I am a little scared we have been avoiding food, tried zyrtec, claritin, nose inhalers, what else is there? she also maintains a temp of 99.00-100.00 for 2.5 months now, i am so confused, scared to death that it is something else, i go to bed at night crying that something else is going to happen, I am sorry i am not having a good day, sometimes being a mother is so hard, but I would NEVER change it for anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:53 pm 

So sorry for your child, and you. You are a great Mom. Get some sleep tonight.

Try to make some notes before you talk to the Doctor. It will help you remember your questions, and you can write down his answers as well.

Did you consider that dryness could be hurting her nose? Especially since it is winter. The antihistamines can really aggravate this, too.

Good night,
Daisy

Feel free to vent your fears and frustrations>>>we're here to help and offer support.