You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:31 am 

In the past couple of weeks, I've heard from a couple of people who have had what seem to have been allergic reactions. Neither of them are planning on heading to the dr. to get the allergy situation checked out.

Last edited by Helen on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Denial! I guess they feel that as long as they don't have the label, they don't have the problem.
So interesting your friend would carry an EpiPen to avoid vommiting but not death. It's a typical avoidance comment. It's irrational and not at all thought out.
I think that fact that they are telling you this is because they really do think it's allergies and you are as close to an expert as they are willing to turn. They are probably hoping for a magic bullet.
Perhaps this is why the statistics show that anaphylaxis is growing more rapidly in children. They have no choice but are carted off to the Dr's by their parents. (Heck, we're carting these kids off to the Dr regularly for shots etc. anyway)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:43 am 

I have adult on-set allergies. I hate to say it - but I can understand their feelings.

Did you see the movie Hitich? In it, Will Smith's character eats something and has a reaction. His face is all swollen up. Many parents complained about that scene saying NOBODY would ignore that kind of reaction. He just goes to the drug store and buys a bottle of benedryl. Well - that's what my reactions were like, and for over a year I never went to a doctor. I finally went because that was happening DAILY. And, my tongue felt fat. I started carrying an Anakit. It's two shots of epinephrine, but not an autoinjector. It was always leaking and I figured in a reaction I'd never be able to manage to use it anyway, so I stopped buying it. Then, of course, I went into anaphylactic shock. :shock:

Even as adults we still carry a bit of that teen belief that we are invincible. It won't happen to us.

You can offer them your opinion. You can talk to them. But, you cannot force them. And, it's best if you can try to not get upset about it. (Hard when it's people you care about.)

I went through it with a friend whose son was diagnosed with peanut and sesame seed allergies. I wrote her out a list of what companies label, and what foods are suspect until proven innocent. She did appreciate what I did for her. But, she and her husband decided that since their son had not had an anaphylactic reaction they didn't feel it was necessary to avoid trace amounts. I said "he hasn't had anaphylaxis yet". She also said he doesn't react to trace amounts. I pointed out that he complains his nose feels fat when they heat sesame buns in the microwave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:28 am 

AnnaMarie wrote:
But, she and her husband decided that since their son had not had an anaphylactic reaction they didn't feel it was necessary to avoid trace amounts.

This is frustrating...in the sense that this attitude perpetuates misinformation. My inlaws were sharing with me that one of my nephews has a friend in his class who is allergic to peanuts as well but that "he doesn't have to avoid trace amounts...he's able to eat them" -- and kind of looked at me guaging my response (as I don't allow Ethan to eat "may contains"). I then had to explain the concept of the "may contain" and how the food "may" or "may not" contain trace amounts of the allergen, and is that the type of gamble that someone wants to play with their loved one's life.... It left me feeling like I had to justify my position -- I know all types of misinformation is out there and there are people who are at varrying levels of acceptance and willingness to educate themselves about anaphylaxis BUT... it just frustrates me. (sorry...I'm venting) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:55 pm 

Susan, Yes, I think that my friend really doesn't want the label. She even mentioned that she didn't want to think of herself as having allergies.

AnnaMarie-- no, I didn't see that movie. Thanks for this perspective----I can understand how it is natural to resist admitting that something is wrong with our health because it's scary if there is something majorly wrong and we don't know what it is. Denial sometimes is a more comforting state to live in.

Last edited by Helen on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:26 pm 

ethansmom, what I find extremely frustrating is that this woman has what sounds like a really good food allergy doctor. When they got the test results, she asked if they should eliminate pb from the house (everyone else in the family loves it - eats it daily). He told her that it was her choice, but did she really think keeping peanut butter in the home with her son was worth the risk? At first she did. :shock: When she told me, I pointed out that the reason she had taken him for testing was that he was having reactions (coughing, and weepy eyes) when OTHER PEOPLE ate peanut butter around him. He never ate it - detested the smell. I asked her if eating peanut butter was so important that she was willing to make her son uncomfortable in his own home. (I say be calm - but sometimes my comments cut right through don't they.) She did decide to not buy peanut butter anymore. But, unless and until he has a serious reaction - she just is not taking it seriously at all.

Lisa, I don't remember all the feelings I was going through at the time. I do know that part of it was embarrassment. I've seen people with really serious illnesses - and I felt embarrassed to waste the doctor's time just because when I ate I looked like I had been beaten up. Even now, when I have a reaction, I get embarrassed. I sneak into another room to take my medicine. It's a bit different now. I feel like I should know better then to have a reaction. If I have a reaction, it means I did something wrong. Logically, I know this is very warped thinking. But, emotionally - I can't always get past it. And then of course - there is the GUILT. Scaring my husband. Scaring my kids. (bad mommy bad mommy) Again - I know this is warped thinking - but I still feel guilty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Ethansmom-
Quote:
My inlaws were sharing with me that one of my nephews has a friend in his class who is allergic to peanuts as well but that "he doesn't have to avoid trace amounts...he's able to eat them" -- and kind of looked at me guaging my response (as I don't allow Ethan to eat "may contains").

This is the time to use the old "If they jumped off a bridge..." :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:47 pm 

I find reactions embarrassing too if anyone other than immediate family are around.

We hear a lot about the placebo effect. I think there is also a 'denial effect' that needs to be contended with!