You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:45 pm 

When the story first came out, the coroner thought the media made too much out of it... now he's the one going to them and doing exactly what he was against just a couple of months ago... He says his motivation is to make sure the "allergy association" doesn't use the case for their campaing... He'd better have really great arguments in his final report because I am not convinced, NOT AT ALL that this is a professional way to do things! (Here I go again... sorry...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:36 am 

Isn't the cause of death for everybody lack of oxygen to the brain? Really! If you have a heart attack you die cos there is no oxygen going to your brain, same with stroke, trauma, anaphylactic shock. But 15 year old girls do not just stop getting oxygen to the brain, something has to happen to cause it.

This just seems crazy to me. Why would he say such a thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:50 am 
Site Admin

This is most concerning and very confusing.
I really want to see his full findings.
I understood from the original story that she initially thought it was her asthma because she was not aware of him eating peanut butter. She ran outside saying she couldn't breathe didn't she? Did she take her asthma medication? She didn't take her EpiPen because she didn't think it was allergies (again-didn't know about the peanut butter)
Anoxia has many causes and I am not going to speculate but yes, it could be Anaphylaxic.
...I am going to wait for the full report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Susan, She did use her puffer. My feelling is that the coroner is getting beyond science when he speculates that she didn't use her EpiPen because it wasn't a food allergic reaction.

How would she know?

So now I'll speculate, too. If Christina hadn't eaten any of her allergens, in the heat of the moment, she would just think "I can't breathe" and run (probably in a panic) for her puffer. Poor kid..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:43 pm 

The first thing I ran for when I had a reaction that I did not even come close to relating to fish until the next day, was my puffer because the symptom was that I couldn't breath! Never came close to thinking about my epipen as I hadn't eaten anything in a couple of hours and the symptoms started so fast that "it couldn't be that"! (didn't recognize the smell of fish...) I was lucky in a way because the puffer I had on hand was an epinephrine puffer... wouldn't be here if I would have had the puffers I carry around now... :?

A 15 year old just doesn't stop breathing for no reason! The coroner did put out more info in the paper yesterday... saying everyone dies of "cerebral anoxia" :roll: and that the info was misquoted by Associated Press... :roll:

Looks fishy from where I sit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:15 pm 

Mylène wrote:
Looks fishy from where I sit...

No pun intended? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:57 pm 

It seems so irresponsible for the coroner to leak "some" information, but not the full report. I can't understand why he would try to claim it is for the benefit of not spreading misinformation. Most of us in the food allergy and asthma community know first-hand that lack of information leads people to come to their own conclusions...which are usually wrong...which spreads misinformation. Hellooo!
Does anyone know when this "final report" is scheduled to be available? Is any person or organization in a position to take this coroner to task? I don't want to wait for the AL issue!
I am trying to remain open-minded but I can't help but wonder what his motiviation was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:12 pm 

Catherine wrote:
Is any person or organization in a position to take this coroner to task?

I know in Ontario if you have a complaint about a coroner you can report it to the Chief Coroner. I would think it's the same in Quebec. And I've also been wondering if there is an organization that could appropriately do that (if appropriate) when the final report is released. It might be appropriate to complain just about the way he did this - but I think that would be the family to complain about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:37 am 

Lisa - couldn't find a better expression :lol:

The coroner's report is scheduled to be out in about 3 to 4 months.

I am sure there is a recourse just like in Ontario... but I don't think individuals would have any weight, organisations would probably be able to move things and get answers... hopefully someone out there will organize something.

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:38 am 
Site Admin

3-4 months?! In that case he should be prepared to elaborate on his statements now.
He may not have all of the information to say what it is but he could say what caused him to rule anaphylaxis out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

This AL reporter was told to expect it out by April latest. /g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:49 am 

I think we should contact this Dr's association/professional body/boss/ etc. and let them/him/her know of our concerns.

I think that in most cases it is only family involvement that is appropriate, but because this coroner has created a situation of confusion for a group of individuals who really suffer from a lack of known science about their allergies, he is accountable to us as well.

Too often, people with allergies are seen as hysterical hypochondriacs who are just looking for attention, and the way that he has handled this just reinforces this stereotype.

He really seems biased.

He lost all his credibility by not even getting the names of the organizations right, was this a misquote or did he truly not know AC or AAIA or whatever allergy organization he was supposed to be referring to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:13 am 

Pamela Lee wrote:
Too often, people with allergies are seen as hysterical hypochondriacs who are just looking for attention, and the way that he has handled this just reinforces this stereotype.

He lost all his credibility by not even getting the names of the organizations right, was this a misquote or did he truly not know AC or AAIA or whatever allergy organization he was supposed to be referring to?

I feel an organization or organized group should get in touch - but a mass mailing of e-mails would just prove the point of hysteria. (Just my opinion.)

I'm trying to be understading - regarding the misquote of the organization, is this regarding credibility, or a language barrier. He's in Quebec, chances are english is not is first language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:48 am 

Hey, I'm from Quebec and I'm perfectly bilingual. :D

It could be he made those statements in French and they weren't translated/interpreted properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:19 pm 

English is not his first language and I've gotten the original version of those news directly in French and directly in the local paper he gave his interview and believe me it's not translation that's the problem! You guys got the same message we got. I haven't seen anything directly from him that would be in English, so everything that came out so far has a French original that is no better!

(I think it's starting to show that he really got me @#$% ... )