You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:19 pm 

:?: For those who have dealt with this allergy longer than I have, how comfortable are you buying fish at the grocery store? Do you ever get it at a restaurant? I've vowed never to eat fish at a restaurant again, but I do want to buy it at a store. But I'm terrified of cross contamination. The ana reaction where I used my epi was from cross contamination, and I've had numerous reactions that I think can be attributed to cross contamination.

I did talk with a fish counter guy at Central Market (I live in the US in Texas), and he said they aren't allowed to touch fish after touching shellfish, and they have their fish and shellfish arranged in the cabinet a certain way by law. But I do notice that in the special display cabinets out of the main cabinet that the lobster often touches the salmon, and I fear . . . .

So, how do you all deal with this? I am not allergic to fish, and I don't want to completely avoid it. There are benfits to eating it. But I don't want to have a reaction, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:56 pm 

McCobbre

Go to a Kosher market; make sure they are up to Orthodox standards. This is one of the few places to get "safe" fish, unless you catch it yourself. Fish/shellfish in the States is not inspected or regulated by the USDA. The chances for cross-contamination are great. I mean, it's even placed side-by-side on ice in the grocery store.

My allergist is Orthodox. He suggested this to me a couple of years ago. But my shellfish reactions have gotten so freaky, and I did test SPT positive to fish originally, so I'm just staying away from all of it.

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:41 am 

I'm not sure whether I actually have a shellfish allergy or simply react on skin tests...it isn't something I've been wanting necessarily to find out by trial and error. I do eat salmon, however, and, yes, I am concerned about cross contamination at fish counters even though I'm not certain if I need to be! There are literally only two stores in Toronto (as far as I know) where I can get salmon fillets that are prepackaged (and I'm picky about my salmon---I don't eat farm raised Atlantic salmon unless it is naturally raised on account of the higher concentration of PCBs and heavy metals and lower concentration of Omega-3s)--Whole Foods is one of them (in the frozen seafood section). I eat canned salmon as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:08 pm 

I had the oposite allergies: can't get close to fish, but tested negative to shellfish ;)

My dad went out a couple of times to buy me lobster (can't do it myself as I can't get close to fish :? )... and the ice was common with fish, even the box the guy packed the lobster in was written SALMON on it!!!!! :roll: TOO RISKY! At the end, I was only buying lobster and shrimps frozen or canned and only the brands I knew did only lobster or shrimps! Shellfish and fish are sooo linked that I don't take the chance anymore... and now I retested positive to shellfish, so I don't have to worry anymore.

Post subject: cross contamination
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:02 pm 

I believe my son reacted to salmon from the grocery store. He is ana to eggs, dairy, peanuts, peas, and fish. The allergist felt that he was only allergic to freshwater white fish and told us to continue eating salmon as we have in he past. I bought a de-boned salmon last week and my son threw up and broke out in hives. We are going back to the allergist in a few weeks and I would like hime to challenge him in the office with salmon and see the results. I have learned my lesson about the risks of cross contamination and will not buy fish from a super market again.
Stephanie