You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:30 am 

The doctor let us go home yesterday, he felt she was doing good, I love my doctor, he wasn't making any decisions until he spoke with me first, you usually don't get that. He didn't want her to start eating there because he wasn't sure what was in the food. He wrote orders for a BRAT diet and they couldn't even get that straight. She gained 1.5 a pound back!!!! It has been a long week, I had to miss my other daughters dance recitial, her program does one every month so it wasn't that bad. You are right about people not understanding the milk allergy. It so draining. well I have to go thanks for you support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:17 am 

Sarahjo -

I've just posted some info in the Resources section on Eos disorders at

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5641#5641.

If you read it you might see something that makes you think of your daughter. It may be part of what is going on with her (although it may not).

I realize that you are going through an incredibly rough time right now, and that you likely don't have much physical or mental energy for this kind of research, but if it looks at all like what your daughter is going through, perhaps print out some of the info and ask your doctor if he thinks her issues could be related.

Keep us posted, and hang in there.

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:12 pm 

So glad your daughter is home. What a relief that she has gained a little weight back! Please keep us posted on her progress.

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

Sarahjo and Saskmommyof2 have both commented n the lack of allergy awareness at their local hospitals. I am shocked by this! :x
Our daughter has asthma and when she has an attack we are often at the hospital for 10-12 hours. On our last visit I looked into hospita meals for special diets and CHEO offers allergy safe meals. I spoke with a kitchen employee (I had a lot of time on my hands) and discovered that they are well informed regarding the most common allergens and safe practices to avoid cross contamination.
They use a plastic knife to remove 'safe' margarine from the tub and spread it on the food. They do not 'double dip'. They are quite proud of this service and if I can find the correct pdf file I'll post their pamphlet here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:45 pm 

Just in case you didn't know, you mentioned Claritin. Claritin D does contain dairy so if your daughter has a dairy allergy she should NOT take it! I have a 12 month old with the same allergies and will be taking her in due to her failure to thrive also. She is still wearing the same clothes she wore at 3 and 6 months. You should definitely look into the EE diagnosis. I'm on a local list of allergy families and many have been diagnosed with EE. Their children finally start to heal. Find a pediatric gastroenterologist who is familiar with EE and get your daughter scoped. Don't let them poo-poo it either!

:o