Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: cooking tips
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:08 pm 

A few things I've figured out recently:

1) I *rarely* used orange or lemon zest. But I tried that apple/plum crisp recipe in AL magazine (but I used pears instead of plums) which calls for it--it was so good! Now I use orange zest all the time (although I would use organic or California oranges as Florida oranges have a red dye in them that is banned in other foods) . I've found that it is much easier to peel the zest off (I use a small serrated knife) if I put the orange rind in the freezer first. That way I don't get citrus juice in my eye!

2) I've been cooking with fresh gingerroot. I add a piece to cooked fruit for flavour and sometimes make homemade ginger/lemon tea. I find ginger is easier to work with frozen as well--I wash and peel it and then wrap it in saranwrap and put it in a ziploc bag in the freezer.

Anyone have any other tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:15 am 

I never used orange or lemon zest either, so I am in no help in that. However I use a lot of ginger when cooking. One tip for you: when slicing ginger, make sure you cut across the grain. Sometime you might have to move the ginger around in order to achieve that, like slicing beef. Afterwards, if you smash the ginger slice a bit with the side of the blade, the flavor comes out much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:13 pm 

Thanks for the tips! I've never payed too much attention to the "grain" before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:23 pm 

Here are few related tips:

1. I am a lazy cook and so we have been buying those frozen cubes of garlic, ginger, coriander, etc. They are awesome! My husband, who is more of a purist (and a much better cook than me) prefers to always use the fresh stuff, but for those of you who are less fussy and want something quick, try that. At our Loblaws grocery store, they are available in special little fridges in the produce section. I will try to find a link to post.

2. When I do want fresh lemon zest or grated ginger or whatever (I'm not 100% lazy), I use a grater from Lee Valley Tools that I believe was originally made as a wood-working tool! Go to http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=32458&cat=2,40733,44734&ap=1 for the details. It's awesome.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:13 am 

Thanks, Karen. That grater does look preferable to my serrated knife! (I have a cheese grater, but I don't think it is that good....at least not for orange zest or ginger.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:44 pm 

I'm not much of a cook but you can freeze fresh ginger root and just grate it as needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:02 pm 

For those that can have dairy...some of my recipes call for buttermilk and it's usually just a small amount -- so instead of buying a litre or more of butter milk that, in my house, will likely go to waste, I will substitute sourcream that has been thinned out with milk or you can use 1 cup of regular milk to 1 tbsp. of vinegar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:31 pm 

I had never tried eggplant. Due to the numerous allergies I try to incorporate more vegetables in our meals. I searched the internet for how to cook an eggplant..and got adventurous. Much to my surprise it was excellent!

I washed it, placed it on a baking pan, popped a few holes in it (like a potato, not sure if this was necessary but did not want an eggplant expolsion) and baked for 45 min at 400 degress F.

Meanwhile, heated a can of stewed tomatos, added olive oil, garlic, onion, mushrooms in sauce pan. When the eggplant was done, cut it in half, removed seeds and scraped the rest off of the peel. Added the eggplant to the tomato mixture, served over whole wheat pasta and it was AMAZING! It would be good on rice too.

If you search online for eggplant recipes they almost all involve tomato, garlic, onion some red pepper (I just did not have any...will add it next time). A very nice addition to my list of meals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:28 pm 

A tip I got from the woman who sells mushrooms at the St. Lawrence farmer's market:

save shitake mushroom stems (they are too tough to add to dishes) and string them together with needle and thread. hang to dry. save and put in soups for extra flavour. (I find that it takes 24-48 hours for the mushrooms to dry.) (I use them in stir fries too. But I tend to add a bit of water to stir fries because my veggies have to be really cooked (oral allergy syndrome).

I found out that shitake mushrooms have vitamin D--which white mushrooms don't have.