Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello im a new member.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:33 pm 

im 37 and married and have a family. Im living in Canada,
My reactions started on new years nite. I reacted to a shooter drink and got red and blotchy and itchy .A few days later the same thing happend with frozen pizza. Then it happend with Parkay butter on my pop corn my lips burned like fire and i was itchy and blotchy AGAIN.then frozen hambergers.
I had a pecon tart a about 4 weeks later and I had a realy bad reaction with that. I had to go to the clinic and then to the hospital. a few other foods have givin me reactions as well. but 4 weeks ago I put hand lotion on and both hands got bad red and blotchy and my chest was red. Now I cant wear any perfum caue i react to it and no hand cream.
last nite I had a glass of milk I reacted to that .and today the same thing happend with milk.
Can anyone explain why this is happening to me so fast and why im reacting to EVERYTHING in site. Even walking into the bus stop I react and into the bank I react.
Has anyone ever heard of a story like mine befor ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:46 am 

Hi maureenreen -

I'm sure you will find people with similar stories here, but in the meantime... have you seen an allergist? If not, I would strongly suggest that you get professional help to get you on the road to understanding what is going on. You'll need a referral from your family physician, I believe.

And just a thought: it might be possible that it's only 1-2 things that are responsible for all these reactions, once you start doing some detective work on what the ingredients are in all these foods. Obviously milk seems to be a prime suspect. Perhaps pecans or other nuts as well -- but perhaps there was cream/butter in the tart and that was the allergen that you were reacting to. (But this is just speculation - you need an allergist to help you with all this.)

While you are waiting for your appointment to see the allergist, it would be a really good idea to start writing down everything that has happened and try to piece together what might have been in the foods/drinks that you consumed, in order to give the allergist a really clear idea of what has been going on. That will really help at your first appointment. A diagnosis is made based on many things, including a history of what you've reacted to in the past. The more info you can provide, the better.

As I said, I'm sure you'll hear from others here, but I thought I'd throw out these suggestions. Good luck!! It must be very upsetting to suddenly be reacting to all these things. But allergies can happen at any age, unfortunately....

K.

Post subject: morning
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:49 pm 

I havent seen a allergist yet im waiting for my doc to send a letter to them.For now i put everything in my diary to take to my docter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:55 pm 

maureenreen,

that's really scary--the first thing that popped into my head when reading your post was--sulphite allergy!--although the reaction to milk doesn't quite fit the profile.

sulphites are in so many packaged foods--it takes a lot of research to know how to avoid them. If you are allergic to sulphites, it may very well seem like you are allergic to everything.

I'm not exactly an expert on sulphite allergy as it isn't something that I have to worry about, but I'd try just preparing food from scratch for awhile to see if your symptoms clear up (but avoid grapes and raisins too--they have sulphites. even avoid things like preprepared lemon juice which contains sulphites. definitely avoid wine and dried fruit.) When you go to the allergist, you might want to mention sulphites as a concern because it isn't something that they routinely test for.

I would also avoid dairy for awhile in case that is the problem.

Post subject: hi lisa
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:34 pm 

I didnt know about the sulphite allergy My docter told me about the MSG thats in foods. YES I Can be reacting from both msg and the sulphite.I will ask to be tested for this for sure thank you for the reply. Reen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Maureen, I started to get all sorts of reactions as an adult. It does feel confusing/overwhelming. I second what Karen is saying about writing down what you eat. What I came to realize is that what we eat is often "complicated".

I now know that I'm allergic to soy (which is in many things from frozen hamburgers to pepperoni on pizza), but I'm by no means trying to suggest what you might be allergic to. Rather than start avoiding all sorts of foods, my doctor advised me to start eating more simply while getting tested at the allergist (in my case, it took a few rounds of skin-prick tests and an oral challenge).

You may want to eat more foods that you cook from fresh (avoiding packaged stuff. with a ton of ingredients). Make a kind of meat and veg, add a spice or two - if no reaction - maybe add a couple more things the next time. This way you'll get enough nutrients while doing the testing. With a simpler diet, my reactions abated, perhaps yours would, too.

Welcome to you - and good luck with this. /Gwen

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:34 pm 

I have a diary I got from the store and I put in all my reactions in their. I react from so much now in foods. But I react to perfum and lotion now as well. I got some goats milk soap and I also use Eveeno hand lotion now it heps when I have a reaction if im home or if im out side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:54 pm 

You poor dear!

Sorry so say, I know just how you feel. Good idea on the diary! It will definitely help you narrow this down. Could be anything, from your description. It's even harder to figure out when it's two or more foods/allergens.

My pharmacist thought I might be reacting to excipients in meds. I started reading labels and was reacting to Yellow #5. (How strange is that?) Hand soap, medicines, makeup, dish soap...I can remember telling my Allergist, "All I had that day was a turkey sandwich and a couple of my daughter's sweet-tarts candy." Turns out it was the Yellow dye. No test for it really, just narrowing down the possibilites.

Ask your family Doc to prescribe an antihistamine for you. The hives and itchy can be very uncomfortable.

But yours could be anything>>>you're taking all the right steps. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:46 pm 

If you are suspecting a dairy allergy...I would recommend not using the goats milk soap. Many people with dairy allergy (cows milk) are allergic to goats milk too! My friends son had terrible eczema as a baby, they were using goats milk soap, and when the milk allergy was diagnosed they switched soaps and the eczema cleared up. He had unfortunately suffered for months! We use Aveeno bodywash products as well as the lotion. We just switched to the lotion and really like it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:13 am 

Daisy my family doc told me to take 50 mg of Benadryl just intill I see the alergist. I SHOULD be seeing him soon.
saskmommyof2,,
I never new that about the goats milk. Im not even sure if I was reacting to the drinking milk 2 days ago but I think i was but still not sure. I will watch out for the goats milk soap as well.
Reen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:02 am 

For the Benadryl, just make sure you don't take it a few days before the appointment, or it could skew the results of any testing they will do. Ask the allergist's office how many days you have to be free of antihistamines (and any other meds) before the appointment. Usually they say 2 days but it's good to check what your allergist requires.

K.

Post subject: morning
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:38 pm 

Yes I will ask about the meds and the benadryl. Thank you for telling me about that I didnt know.
Reen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:26 pm 

Your first post kind of reminds me of my allergy beginnings.

I was reacting to everything. And to nothing. Every time I thought I had figured out what was causing the reactions I would have another reaction and discover I was wrong. I believe this was caused by a combination of things. I was reacting to even trace amounts of my allergens (which were not listed on packages at that time). I also think my system was just so over-loaded because I kept eating my allergens, that it started to react to other things - as an example, I was having reactions to dogs and cats and I'm not actually allergic to them. But, if my immune system gets a real jolt, I start reacting to them again. (That's just weird, and maybe it's just me. :oops: )

Anyway, regarding the diary you are keeping I have a few suggestions.

Right down everything you eat - with the list of ingredients. Saying you ate bacon isn't good enough - because many packages of bacon have several ingredients in them and it could be one of those *lesser* ingredients you are actually reacting to.

If you cook potatos, you need to also list the margarine or butter you use - if you fry it in oil, what kind of oil. All those things you never thought twice about in the past -- you have to think about them now.

I'd also like to second Gwen's suggestion - eat simpler foods that you prepare yourself.

Good luck.

Post subject: lol
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:53 pm 

I already know what to put in the diary. Nmaes of the butter i cant have and everything.Im not reacting to JUST nothing its foods 100 % and hand lotions and perfum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:47 pm 

annamarie, your post reminded me a bit of my one sister. during her period, she has mild reactions when eating....I'm not sure if she is clear on whether there are specific triggers. And if she does run into an allergen, her reactions are worse. I'm thinking this might be somewhat similar to your situation when you react to things when your immune system is under stress. (I also find that my environmental allergies really start to act up just before my period starts and during the first part of my periods.)