You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:54 pm 

By Steve Sternberg, USA TODAY

Here's the conventional wisdom: Pets promote allergy, kids shouldn't eat peanuts until they're at least 3, and intestinal worms are nothing more than an icky reminder of life before flush toilets.

Here's the new wisdom: Early exposure to pets, peanuts and intestinal worms might actually be good for you, because they program the developing immune system to know the difference between real threats, such as germs, and Aunt Millie's cat.

See: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 ... over_x.htm for the full story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting article, talk about covering a lot of ground. Think I'd wait, though, for the study results before pet shopping.

The exposure to some breeds of dogs early on seems to be gaining the most support among experts. Exposure to cats seems more of a questionmark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:52 pm 

I always wondered about this "new wisdom". How it is supposed to work with children who are allergic from birth?

I'd love to be able to spend some time with the scientists doing these studies to truly understand the science behind it all.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:10 pm 

I suspect that there are some people who are just going to develop allergies no matter what one does. (My grandmother for instance---she grew up on a small, impoverished family run farm in the US South. She was exposed to a lot of microbes + got parasites. As a girl she became anaphylactic to bee stings. I just learned a few days ago that she is now allergic to shrimp too (this is undiagnosed---she just avoids it).)

But I do think that it might be a good idea to introduce one's children at a young age to harmless bacteria---like in yogurt. (obviously not a good idea for the milk-allergic, however!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Well all my hard work at keeping our house filthy did not pay off! Neither did the Prevnar shots that the insurance did not cover.
She has asthma, allergies and had several ear infections.
I suspect that they are comparing developed nations to under-developed nations and finding a higher incidence in the developed nations (one study years ago did this). With all the problems affecting people in these countries such as lack of clean drinking water, inadequate medical attention, lack of food, civil unrest etc., I would not be surprised if asthma and allergies went undiagnosed. I would suspect many children succumb to other illnesses before their asthma/allergies truly manifest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:20 pm 

Yes, I totally agree that many childrens problems are probably undiagnosed, untreated and perhaps have been fatal in those countries. I feel that we live in a different kind of "filthy" than the developing countries. We do not have a lot of exposure to dirt and parasites, but we are exposed to a lot of polution, and chemicals...the very things I feel are responsible for the increase of asthma and allergies. The environments may be clean from bacteria and parasites...but certainly not from exposure to chemicals.

"Money rules the world" and it is cheaper to cover our food supply with chemicals than it is to weed the traditional way, like the developing countries still do. Also, the use of hormones, steroids and antibiotics in "for meat" animals is quite appauling, and those animals eat tons of feed which has been soaked in herbicides, pesticides and synthetic fertilizers.

This spring I am planting a garden (organic of course) and plan on letting my girls help in the dirt. Maybe if we are lucky, we will pick up a parasite :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:15 pm 

hehehe :twisted: call me evil.

I just blame my mom!

How do I justify this? easy.
Her house was and is absolutely spotless.
Because I grew up in a spotless house my immune system became accustomed to no dirt. So while I was pregnant I was unable to keep my house as clean so my immune system went into over drive the babies picked up on this overactive system and were unable to shut it off. Therefore they have allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:40 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
Maybe if we are lucky, we will pick up a parasite :wink: .

saskmommy -- you made me laugh out loud! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:56 pm 

LOL guys!

I don't believe in that study too much, as my house has always been less than spotless (it's "lived in" :wink: ). We also had 2 cats when my daughter was born and by 4 developed asthma and cat allergies among others. We had to give our kitties away.

She also had her 1st anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter in February, at 14, after eating peanut butter all her life! So there.

I am starting to think though that maybe all this vaccination we do on our children might seriously compromise the immune system. That's just my theory, but who knows?