You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:47 am 

I would contact your local person who deals with accessability issues for people with disabilities (I am sure if you phoned City Hall, they would be able to direct you) and see what they say about it. The law is on your side in this case, because it is a public place that accomodates people with other types of disabilites (large type books, taped books, wheelchair accessability, etc.) Plus, it is just common sense.

Here in Vancouver, we have a special section of one library set aside for illegal drug users, so they have access to books, too - I don't quite know why they need a special section - I don't think they are shooting up in the carrals, but I don't know the details. :roll:

We do not have any food in our libraries in Vancouver that I am aware of. It just seems wrong to me to eat in a library. It seems wrong to do drugs in a library too. This is what comes of multi-tasking!!!

Keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:57 am 

Saskmommyof2,

Have you had any progress with the library situation?
I am so angry about how you and your child have been treated. And why should they serve crap-sugar-junk snacks to little kids anyway? Not to mention, food allergy or not, I really don't like the idea of someone handing my child a cookie without asking me first. It's just bad all around...what would they know about our family's views on junk food?
I really hope you have not given up your campaign. We must choose our battles, I know, but at least the library has to be a safe place for people, especially kids, in whom we are trying to instill a lifelong love of books! Gosh, how does a person like that end up in a library... a place so symbolic of education and inclusion!
Anyway, I haven't seen this posted on the Forum yet, but there was a fantastic news release yesterday which you should provide to the library staff/city hall right away!

"New guidelines released today by Canada's leading allergy organizations spell out the gold standard for treating life-threatening anaphylactic reactions, and outline the preventive strategies that should be in place in schools, camps, and similar settings."

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c0307.html

Also, I couldn't find a specific allergy-aware policy at my local library, but here is their Mission Statement:
Halifax Public Libraries is the life-long learning centre of the Community and the place people turn to for the discovery of ideas, the joy of reading and the power of information.

Here is a link to their Library Policies:

http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/po ... index.html

Keep us posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:17 am 

I wrote a second letter to library, and city representative who is incharge of library funding. I debated their "sharing of food is a social experience", and how it goes against the resent teachings of some schools and recreational organizations who teach "don't share food". I also included how it excludes many others from library parties including alergic individuals, kids with diabetes, kids whose parents promote healthy lifestyle, those with religious/moral beliefs who do not consume animal products (vegans, jewish, muslim), those who cannot afford to bring a snack to share. I included how we are all tax payers, and our children are not welcome at the publicly funded library events. I discussed childhood obesity epidemics and asked them to reconside serving up "games and crafts and books" rather than junk-crap-treats. I have not received a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:13 pm 

Hi Saskmommy2,

I don't know how long ago you sent your 2nd letter, but I would encourage you to followup with the new National Guidelines that were released this week. I think I posted the link above - you can also find it in the Resources section.
I wonder how the library would find their policies fit in with the new guidelines. It seems to me it's a no-brainer.
Good luck,
Catherine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:32 pm 

So I finally recieved a reply to my second letter, which asked them to reconsider serving snacks at their story times and parties. Basically, I was told that the snacks will continue and to watch my kids if I come.

I am choosing to stop "beating my head against the wall" with these people who obviously value junk food way too much! At this point, why would I want to be around people who are so selfish and promote junk food anyways? They can just be over there, in their little corner of the world being jerks, and I will be in my little corner NOT having to deal with jerks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:17 pm 

All this just stems from pure ignorance. Our society is so focused on food, it's incredible. My kids used to take kindergym on Saturday mornings years ago. I fed them a good breakfast before going and they were good til lunch. The change room was tiny. We would get there as the previous group was leaving and it would be really cramped. Well, some parents would proceed to spread out snacks for their kids, as if the kids had burned soooo many calories they couldn't go on another minute without eating! The kids would occupy the benches to have their snacks and their juice box as if it were a picnic, and we would be scrambling to get our kids changed for their class. It made me realize how much people are focused on food. Surely they could have fed the kids at home and surely the kids don't need to be fed snacks all the time everywhere! No wonder kids are getting overweight. Also, this mom I knew would spend the afternoon at the local public pool with the children, and she would bring bags full of snacks like cheesies and chips and cookies. The kids spent more time eating than swimming!

Everybody is always eating all over the place. There are no more sacred spaces. I don't remember being allowed to eat at the library as a kid. I spent a lot of time there and there were very strict rules. No foods or drinks allowed. It should be like that in change rooms everywhere too. Those are NOT eating places. We have to revert back to eating at home.

I would definitely go public with this fight. The more waves we create, the more awareness there is, the less ignorance we have to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:11 pm 

I thought I'd share some key phrases from my reply note.

"Outside the program room, parents may need to feed hungry small children at any time before, during or after every program" Personally, I do not consider goldfish crackers and cheezies to be a NEED. I have been there, trust me people WANT to stuff food in their kids mouths to keep them entertained...Hello...read them a book. These people are there for maybe one hour, can you not refrain from feeding your kids and spreading it around the library for one hour. Come on, lets show some respect.

"We would not want the parents of children with food allergens to be lulled into a false sense of security thinking that the Library is safe for their children."
Oh, so it is in my kids best interest to have food in the library!

[b]"Parents of children with allergies are invited to come into the program room and supervise what their children eat. We hope you will try bringing your children's snacks and oversee what they eat?[b] Hello...why are we eating? I thought the library was about BOOKS not junk food. Food-obsessed lunatics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:55 am 
Site Admin

One last chance, I would sugest you contact your ombudsman and allow them to assit you. Libraries are part of the government aren't they?
If they choose to exclude you they can chose to forfiet your tax dollars!!! :twisted:
http://www.legassembly.sk.ca/officers/ombuds.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:51 am 

Another group that may be able to assist you is the Human Rights Commission. I don't know how it works in Saskatchewan, but in BC there is an office of lawyers paid by the government who take on cases where Human Rights are being denied. My friend got fired after her boss found out she was pregnant and she sued. She was able to prove that he had no grounds to fire her, and she won an important victory for women everywhere (plus $15,000, which didn't hurt either!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:09 pm 

You know, the media might be interested in this as well. They are always looking for a story, and at the risk of sounding crass, allergies are kind of a hot topic right now. It is a human interest story involving a little kid - the media like that kind of thing. Might be a way to at least see if others feel the same way you do about food in the library. Give your local paper a call and see if someone there is interested in following up on the story.

Sounds like you've tried the official route, so now might be the time to try something else.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:09 pm 

I wish you wouldn't give up. I understand it can be very upsetting. I would save all correspondance and forward it to the Canadian equavilent of our State's (in the USA) Office of Civil Liberties. We have the ADA (Americans with Disibilities Act.) What you are describing is most-likely illegal. I think that if you contact the right people *you* won't have much more to do. These agencies might pick up your case. And a phone call to your local new will probably help, too.

Thank you for trying. Your efforts *do* mean something. Even if things didn't get through their heads you planted some seeds.

Good luck!