You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:49 am 

The other day I was rushed to the hospital cause my tung felt like some one was chocking me with it.It was like my tung was trying to go backwords inside my mouth and I was gasping for air. I never had this feeling. I NEVER got this befor. Is this what it feels like when some ones tung swells up and their loosing air to breath. ??
I am not sure. The doc didnt say my air way way tight. Only my chest was tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:34 am 

Maureen, when my tongue was affected by an allergic reaction it actually felt like it was fat. It did NOT feel like it was trying to go backwards in my mouth. This is just my own experience, and people are different.

Did the ER doctor think it was an allergic reaction? Whenever I go to ER they ask if I want a copy of the report sent to my GP and I always say yes. If you did not get one sent, you can contact your GP and he can request it.

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:37 pm 

Yes the er knows it was a reaction. I think thats how my toung was feeling flat but going back words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:13 am 

Hi Maureen,
As Annemarie said, people react differently to whatever the allergen is. If you felt that your tongue was filling your throat, going backwards or whatever the sensation was, then its a serious enough reaction to carry an Epi-pen. Even the same person can have a different sensation at different times. I know I get an extreme itchiness in the back of my throat or it can be on the roof of my mouth or under my tongue and can be with or without swelling throughout my throat. It can change so don't only go by your first reaction. You may not have felt your airway was tight, as you say it was only your chest but be aware that whatever happens in the nose, throat, mouth area can lead down to the airway and chest - they're all connected and a reaction elsewhere may be delayed. It took me years to realize I had asthma - (my kids all have it) as I only get a tight sensation at the front of my neck where the collar bones form a little indent - don't really feel it in my chest but it tightens at that spot in moments. Is it asthma? Yes, a mild form, 'cause a wheeze can be heard in my lungs even though I don't feel it very tight. So don't just go on how you feel - if you react anywhere, treat it as a reaction that needs attention. Make sure your doctor knows every time you feel funny and write down what made you feel that way - then he/she can sort it out for you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:41 am 

Last nite My middle section felt like some one was sqweezing me HARD and not letting me go.I had a hard time breathing again. Is tis a food reaction ? My chest was VERY tight and my lungs and back was killing so bad . My back felt like someone was stabbing me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:28 pm 

Maureen -

If it were me, I would get in to see my doctor as soon as possible. Describe the various symptoms when making your appointment and make it clear that it's urgent that you see someone as soon as possible and that it may be allergy-related. It could be any number of things and none us here are qualified to tell you what they might be, I'm afraid. We can all make suggestions based on personal experience, but you really should see a medical professional, and soon. And definitely keep track of all this in your journal, as someone else suggested.

I can't remember when you are supposed to see the allergist, but you could also call the allergist's office and tell them you seem to be having difficulty and ask if you could be put on their wait list, if they have one -- so that if someone cancels they could have you come in earlier than your initial appointment.

I hope things ease up for you soon, and that you get in to see your doctor! It often takes a lot of detective work to figure out what is going on with allergies.

K.

Post subject: went to the doc today
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:40 pm 

I told him what happend with my mid section he said stay away from ALL DAIRY stuff now. and he is putting A RUSH ON for the allergist doc to see me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:31 pm 

I'm so glad. If you need a list of words to look for and help you make sure you know all the wonderful and weird names for dairy, check out these sites:

- http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/misc/milkallergy_cutout.html
- http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydietitian/fa/milk.html
- http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/milk.html
- http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labeti/allerg/milklaite.shtml

K.

[Edited - 4th URL added]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:45 am 

thank you for the links.