You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:23 am 

With the popularity of Tim Hortons, my husband had this brainstorm to try and make donuts for our daughter so she is not missing out;I'm freaking out about having to deep fry them let alone a recipe. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:26 pm 

My mom and I made milk and egg free donuts a little while ago. We used her regular recipe and just substituted soy milk for milk and added egg replacer (Kingsmill) for the eggs and they turned out great. We even fried the donut holes to make "tim bits" but we called them donut holes because we didn't want her to get confused about tim bits.
Do you have a recipe to modify? If not I will send mine tomorrow.
Kate

Post subject: donut
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:27 pm 

Welcome Daughtersadvocate,
For donut I make home made bread dough then deep fry small balls of it and then while still warm roll in sugar or icing sugar. We make all of our own bread as my son (dairy, egg, fish, nuts, legume) allergic.
Good Luck
Stephanie
Let me know if you need a good bread dough recipe.

Post subject: donut recipe
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:56 pm 

I'd really appreciate a recipe anyone had on how to make donuts. I'd like to try to make them for my sons who have egg, dairy and nut allergies. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:09 pm 

I would also like a recipe that's free of milk & egg. I have some for "baked" doughnuts, but it's just not the same thing....

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:39 pm 

Here is my mom's donut recipe. I have made it once with her and the donuts were great. I hope I remember all of the steps and have all of the instructions - my mom often gives recipes and then if there is a problem will say, "didn't you do this..." and of course the special instructions were left out of the recipe.

This recipe makes 2 dozen donuts.

1/4 cup crisco 1/4 cup sugar
1tsp salt 1 yeast cake (we used traditional kind not fast rise)
1 cup milk (we used soy milk)
1 egg (we used 1 egg substitute - Kingsmill egg replacer)
3 1/2 cup flour

Set yeast cake - my mom sets it with 1tsp of sugar in the bottom of a cup and then add 1/2 cup of lukeward water and then yeast cake and then 1/2 tsp sugar on top. Do not mix. Let yeast cake sit for 30 minutes or so. Heat milk slightly and add to yeast cake when ready. Add 1 1/2 cup flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let rise until double its bulk.

Cream crisco, salt, sugar and egg and then mix with yeast mixture. Add remaining flour. Kneed the flour into the mixture until smooth and dough is not sticking to your hands. You may need a little more flour. Let rise until double again.

Roll out dough 1/2 inch thick and cut out the doughnuts. Let the doughnuts rise for 45 minutes. Then deep fry in vegetable oil. (They are not exactly healthy - but good). We also fried the doughnut holes. They turned out well too.

Dip in dairy free icing when warm ( or cold).

They freeze well.
Good luck!
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:37 pm 

Thanks Kate!

Right now it's hotter than hades here so heating up the deep fryer doesn't totally appeal, but next time I can stand to do so, and have some spare time (hahahahahaha), I will give this a try.

The recipe reminds me a bit of one I tried with my youngest last year - we attempted to make crumpets (all the store-bought ones that I've seen have milk in them), and with the yeast rising and then the dough rising, it took about 4 hours start to finish. Man, the things we do for love.... :shock:

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:58 pm 

For the first time in my life, I made homemade doughnuts, and honestly, they turned out SO WELL, I just had to share this recipe. My husband and kids LOVED them! (My husband and daughter (w/out food allergies) claimed they were BETTER than Tim Hortons! ha! ha!) My son has multiple food allergies, but milk is not one of them, so I would suggest substituting soy milk (or alternate) in place of the powdered milk.

This recipe uses a bread maker for 2 lb loaves.

1-1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons powdered milk (or milk substitute)
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter or dairy-free margarine
3-3/4 cups white flour
1 teaspoon yeast

Prepare dough using the dough cycle on the bread maker. When dough cycle is complete, with buttered (or substitute) fingers, roll into ~ 32 -36 balls. Let rise ~ 30 mins (if you have time, if not, don't worry about it). At the completion of rising time, poke holes into each of the rolled dough to form a doughnut shape. Heat oil (I used canola oil) at med-high heat, in a shallow fry pan at ~1/2 inch deep. When oil is hot, drop ~ 8 doughnuts in at a time and allow to brown one side for approx 3 mins (or so) on the first side, flip over, and brown for ~2 mins. Immediately take them out of the pan and sprinkle with white sugar or cinnamon sugar, or melt milk chocolate chips (or substitute) directly onto the doughnut. Enjoy them while they are still warm!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:33 am 

Julie - I tried this yesterday (it's cooler here now) and they were really good. I didn't use any milk powder - figured water would be fine. I might try rice mik next time to try to make them a tiny bit healthy. LOL.

The one change I will have to make to my own recipe is to put the burner at med/med-low. When I put in my first batch with the burner at med-high, they pretty much burned in the first 10 seconds. :shock: I guess my stove burners are hotter than average. My husband actually thought they were chocolate doughnuts, they were so brown!! :lol:

But I adjusted for the next batch, and things turned out great. Next time I'll probably use my deep fryer too. Didn't have the time to change the oil yesterday.

I decided that next time I will also (a) roll out the dough into balls then flatten a bit; (b) immediately poke a hole into them (I used my apple corer); (c) let them rise for 30 minutes after that. I did that for some of them and it made more sense, because otherwise poking the hole into them after they've risen makes them flatten out again.

Katec - next time up I'll be trying your recipe. Didn't have Crisco in the house yesterday!

Funny story: when I showed the doughnuts to my kids, the first thing that my oldest (who doesn't like change) said was: "I liked the baked ones better." I have a recipe for baked doughnuts, but frankly they taste like cake. Of course, 5 minutes later he had eaten FOUR doughnuts, and grudgingly piped up, "But these are pretty good too, Mom." Too funny.

Thanks again for the recipes, ladies!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:57 pm 

Thanks for the donut recipes! I made donuts for the first time today too :D

Karen - thanks for you advice about using the apple corer! That worked like a charm. I also found my donuts a bit too crispy and would reduce the heat a bit more next time.

DH was in heaven tonight eating them and even DD ate part of one ... after she licked off all the icing sugar I put on it :P

J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:14 am 

I have a cheater donut recipe that is egg free (and nut free) and really yummy.

Buy Pilsbury Country Biscuits in the tube (we trust their labelling). Using a pop bottle top, cut the centre out to make the "bits". Drop the bits into hot fat (375) and cook until golden.

Take out. Let fat drip off. While still warm , toss in cinnamon sugar and enjoy. Do the same with the rings.

They are the only "donuts my son has ever had".
Margaret

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:15 am 

Mmmmm.... tasty AND fast. I like it! :)

K.