You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:50 am 

More and more, I'm turning to "natural" products for my home -- not only more gentle on us but the environment too!
We use products from Nature Clean http://www.natureclean.ca/nature/default.asp and we love Ecover products http://www.newdream.org/consumer/ecover.html as well. Their dishsoap is really effective - see the CBC Marketplace article comparing dish soaps (Ecover won out over highly detergent, name brands) http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/file ... _cleaners/
Shampoos and conditioners from Avalon Organics http://www.avalonorganics.com/ are really good too. I know a couple of these companies are US based but we're able to get all of these products from our local health food store. If yours doesn't carry them, perhaps they can special order them for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:50 pm 

I can vouch for Ecover. And their products are very easy to find in the UK (not so much in Canada though...) Thanks for the website link.

Last edited by Storm on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:16 pm 

Thanks ethansmom, I phoned ecover to find a retailer in my area, they are going to phone me back. So, I looked up info on ivory snow that we are using and discovered ivory soap contains animal fats (I am assuming the ivory snow does as well)...possibly a really bad idea for my daughter allergic to chicken (and milk,eggs) and cats and dogs.

Hopefully I can find something better, and labeled! The unscented dishwashing detergent contains whey...they lemon does not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:06 pm 

saskmommy -- I took a browse around Ecover's website and their product packaging looks different from what I purchase. I don't know if these are old photos or the product is different for export to Canada :?: The dish soap bottle that I buy looks like the one pictured on the home page (the girl holding the bottle). She is holding one that has chamomile in it. The one I use is labelled "with lemon and aloe vera" and it has a lime green cap. My bottle's ingredients read: Plant based anionic and non-ionic tensio-active surfactants, water, aloe vera, plant based fragrance (lemon), salt, ctric acid and 100% biodegradable preservative. I also use their dish washer powder -- ingredients: sodium bicarbonate, sodium disilcate, sodium carbonate, sodium sulfate, sodium citrate, polypeptides, enzymes (non-genetically engineered), sugar surfactant, sugar based bleach activator, sugar derivates, fragrance. Even though it lists fragrance -- it's really not very fragrant at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:57 pm 

If anyone is interested in an entire line of household/personal care/make-up/disinfectants etc let me know and I will "pm" you my information - its too involved for here. But our stuff has over 300 products - called Melaleuca - ever heard of tea tree oil? its from this tree - all natural, all biodegradable and enviornmentally friendly as well as economical. Allergic Living had one of its products in the first issue, I believe - called Sol-u-mel - kills molds, unlike Javex which just discolors them. This stuff is all available sent to your door. Great stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:51 pm 

thanks for all the info.! I, too, have been switching to natural cleaning products.

I tried the Melaleuca tub and tile cleaner--I purchased it at Allergy Expo. I've been happy with it---it cleans just as well (if not better) than regular commercial products, and it is inexpensive. It doesn't leave me feeling like I have a hangover after using it (like regular products do) and I don't have to worry about getting the product on my hands so cleaning is actually much faster and easier. But unless one buys their stuff at a show like Allergy Expo, one has to subscribe--i.e. pay a fee to be able to buy their products for a year. I think one would save money by using Melaleuca products--it might be worth it for someone who has a household to run--but I find it easier just to go with Nature Clean since it is readily available in stores. Also, Nature Clean does a better job at labelling--I find the ingredients listing vague on the Melaleuca product I purchased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:15 pm 

Hi Lisa, glad you liked the Melaleuca tub cleaner - yes, there is a join up fee but it is a one-time fee much like what you do when you join Costco (only they do charge on a yearly basis, Melaleuca does only once). You don't have to even do that - you can purchase whatever you want, whether it be one product or 10, as a regular customer - but you pay full price. As for the labelling, they will give you whatever you need if you call the 1-800 number 'cause I've done that too so that I would know what was in the products.they really are good - we'll never go back to store bought harsh chemicals again!! Just good that you know its available - as long as you find a natural cleaner that works for you, that's what's important. If you need more info about Melaleuca, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:31 pm 

Hi Pepper, Thanks for setting me straight. I'm set for cleaning products at the moment, but I'll let you know if I decide to switch to Melaleuca.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:31 am 

ethansmom wrote:
I took a browse around Ecover's website and their product packaging looks different from what I purchase.

The products I buy in the UK look like the ones on this website: http://www.ecover.com/english/index.htm Click on Our Products.

If you go to the main page and click on US, you will see that the packaging and product ranges are different. http://www.ecover.com

Last edited by Storm on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:33 am 

Thanks Storm! I was a little confused....yes, your first link shows the product packaging of what I purchase here in Ontario. (Your second link brought me to a totally different company...I think you meant to type www.ecover.com ?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:03 pm 

Yes, that was a typo. I've corrected it. Thanks for catching it.

Interesting though... Ontario is getting the European packaging, not the US one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:17 am 

I just noticed that The Guelph Soap Co. Inc. (which has displays of various kinds of bar soaps in places like Loblaws and such) has a "Pure and Natural Soap" that is fragrance free and "all natural" according to the packaging. It's just plain translucent glycerin soap. Only $1.29, so not too pricey.

Maybe it's common knowledge but I hadn't noticed it before, and thought I'd mention it. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:13 pm 

Thanks, Karen. Hadn't noticed this soap before!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:34 pm 

I make a lot of cleaning products myself. It's really easy to do and saves money. I fill up a squirt bottle with water and add a drop of tea tree oil (which you can get at Walmart in the vitamins aisle) and it makes a great disinfectant. Lemon Juice or vinegar is a great window cleaner. I like lemon because I can't stomach the smell of vinegar...yuck! Peroxide works as a great stain remover for clothes. Before washing them I soak them in water with peroxide, or spray some right on the spot. Baking soda works great for scrubbing the tiolet or the bath tub, or even for the grill and pots and pans. I've read some places that you can use it to wash clothes but I use ALL Free and Clear and don't have a problem with it.
I also buy all natural soap bars,a nd use that for the shower. I grate the soap, add water, and blend it for a really great creamy hand soap. Walmart also has a brand of Cetaphil which is a good moisturize fragrance free for sensitive skin. I haven't found a good shampoo yet that is natural and fragrance free. I wash my hair about once a week with baby shampoo. I'd like to find something better. :/

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:42 am 

shai -- I saw this at the health food store (I've also recently seen it at Walmart in their new "natural health and beauty" section)....haven't yet tried it but was thinking about it: http://www.franktross.com/nature/inside/herbsham.asp