You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:00 pm 

The RAST said I was allergic to so many things they decided to do a skin test, which did not turn out so well. They couldn't finish because I started having a bad reaction tot he first test. It was very very diluted dust. Not only did I get a big fat wheel where the needle went in, but I broke out in hives all over, and my throat started swelling up and I had an asthma attack. I felt like I got really hot and my blood pressure went all wacky. They decided to just go by the blood test.
When I went in I was excited to get the food test done because the RAST said I was allergic to so many foods. But it turns out I scored second class and up on all the foods, so not only do I have to avoid them all the time, but they will not risk testing any since I have had anaphelectic reactions in the past.
So now the foods I am allergic to are milk, eggs, corn, wheat, soy, oats, and yeast. The yeast one is a real pain in the butt! But I guess that is why I have asthma attacks and break out in hives every time I eat. So I'm limited to rice, fruit, veggies and some meats. They are testing for the meats and fish and coffee next. I get the results next week. Keep your fingers crossed that I am not allergic to anything more. I hate this. It sucks. I want to be able to eat something.
My environmental allergies are worse yet. Anaphelectic to dust and mold. I'm trying to convince my land lord to pull the carpet and put laminate flooring in the new apartment we are moving into. I hope they let us. I vaccuum every day but with dust I don't think that is enough. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:31 pm 

Shai
You poor thing! What a horrible day. Hope you had a good cry! :cry: Can't offer much advice, but I will be praying your "meat" results turn out better.

Do rotate your foods. I've seen much anecdotal info that rotating can help food allergies from increasing. (I'm having this problem, too.) Know just how you feel. My allergist won't go near me with a skin prick; he's afraid I'd react. Started reacting a few years ago to environmental allergy shots. They were effective while I could take them. Just RAST for me from now on.

But if your Doc ever does skin testing again, have them just put the diluted test liquid on your skin first, with no prick. This is done sometimes with severely reactive patients. And they usually do a weaker dilution, also.

Pout, cry, whine...so sorry. :(

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:47 pm 

Sorry to hear about the test results. Wow, I've never heard of anyone having such a severe reaction to the dust test before. That's one killer dust allergy. I really hope you can get rid of that carpet--carpets are just bad news where dust is concerned.

I'm avoiding some of the same foods as you are---eggs, corn, wheat, soy + others. It would be very difficult to not be able to have soy or milk--one of my sisters now has to avoid both as well. Rice milk must be a real life saver.

There are other grains that you could try once you get past the shock---I like millet. There's buckwheat too, and sorghum flour. I've never tried teff, but I've been wanting to. You might want to ask for a referral to a nutritionist if your diet is limited in the grains department. (I'm about to take my own advice soon.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:57 am 

It might be worth investing in a good vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:11 pm 

Hi, thanks for joining in on my pity party. I knew my dust allergy was bad, just not THAT bad. I have my mattress encased in an aollergen cover, and my pillows, and my futon. I have a great vaccum with a filter, and I dust every day. I'm trying wearing a surgical mask when I clean, and it seems to be helping me not have to stop and puff the inhaler.
The food allergies are a pain, but I went to the health food store today and found lots of stuff: pastas, bread, pancake and crust mixes. I already make my own almond milk, so that is no big deal. Luckily I have lots of vegan cookbooks that have recipes I can use. Eating lots of rice and fruit salad. mmmm. At least I can still eat meat. I will really have a good cry next week if those tests do not come back negative.
The doctor thinks I have EE, does anyone know what this is? It's called eosinphelic esophagitits. I don't know if I spelled that right. :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:48 pm 

I'm actually being sent to a gastroenterologist to discuss the possibility of EE....I don't know if I have it or not. I do have some reflux.

Karen posted on "eos" conditions somewhere recently......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:50 pm 

My tests for EE are inconclusive. I have the cless on my esophagus, but they are not significantly increased. So, I guess I am not going to get the steroid treatments yet...bummer. :(
I got the results from the rest of the foods. I only have mild allergies (class 1) to fish, tree nuts, and turkey, so I will have to go by how I "feel" when I eat them. They gave me a food diary to keep for two weeks. how lovely. I can put it up right next to my weight watcher points. :/
All the foods that I am class 2 and more I have to avoid completely for now. Can food allergies just go away?

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:52 am 

Good luck with the food diary.

Let me know if you'd be interested in my rice recipes. My diet is rice-based as well.