You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "May contain"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:13 pm 

Is it a requirement that companies label "may contain" allergens on the labels? I hoped it was, or will soon be, a requirement. Last September, I arranged for a volunteer from Anaphylaxis Canada to speak at my daughter's school and my son's daycare, and she indicated that her understanding was that this was still optional for reporting. I've been purchasing a bread that I thought was safe for my son to eat as the label did not indicate presence of his allergens, however, I discovered today that the bakery does use these ingredients on the premises. Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking this when reading labels. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:14 am 

They should indicate it but are they obligasted by law, I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:30 pm 

Canadian specific:

The law requires french/english labelling.

And if peanut or sesame seeds (or their oils) are an actual ADDED ingredient it is required to state it. (i.e. if the label says vegetable oil - it CANNOT include peanut oil. to include peanut oil it has to say peanut oil).

But there are no laws regarding listing *may contain* on any labels.

I'm strapped for time right now (again) but I will try to find the page on the CFIA site and link to it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:32 pm 

Quote:
f the label says vegetable oil - it CANNOT include peanut oil. to include peanut oil it has to say peanut oil

That's very good to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:32 pm 

Here's the page from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency regarding labelling.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... lergen.pdf

Here are a few points from these pages:

Quote:
In 1994, the HPB of Health Canada established a policy allowing a "may contain" statement regarding the possible presence of allergens in foods......the policy indicated that such statements were voluntary

Quote:
The following foods and their derivatives, when added as ingredients or components of ingredients to prepackaged foods, should always be declared on food labels by their specific common names: peanuts, tree nuts, sesame seeds, milk, eggs, fish, crustacea, shellfish, soy, wheat, sulphites

There is a lot more information on the pages, including what can be included as components or *flavourings/spices* and not be listed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:20 pm 

This is such great information - thank you so much, Anne Marie, for taking the time to locate and send this link! I hope the day will come when food manufacturers will be required to disclose the presence of the most common food allergens present in their facility. I suppose, if we don't see "may contain" on the label, and we strongly suspect the allergen may be present in the facility, a quick phone call to the manufacturer is best.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:42 am 

I was just wondering -- if a company makes the effort to list possible allergens in its product, for example, I often see on bread labels -- may contain soy, or dairy -- but they do not list others like peanut -- is it safe to say that there is not any concern for trace amounts of peanut in their product? (have I totally confused you?? :? )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:16 pm 

If it could contain, I'm pretty sure they would put it. Why put others but not peanuts. It does not make any sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:49 pm 

ethansmom - for safety, I would suggest you call the company and ask what allergens they post warnings for.

I have only once come across a company that posted may contains for other allergens, but not peanuts. (I was actually calling to ask about sesame seeds, but then at the last minute also asked about peanuts.) They got quite an earful from me. In my opinion, if a company lists *may contain* for anything then they should do it for at least the top eight allergens. Otherwise they are putting people at risk.

The company that I had called was very hard to get through to. They don't actually exist as a manufacturing company. They have different companies that make different products for them, and the labeling is done by each of those different companies. So, there was absolutely no consistency. I told them it would be better to have NO warning on anything then to imply a product is safe when one has a warning and one doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:57 pm 

Names, AnnaMaria, names. We need names!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:33 pm 

Thanks AnnaMarie, I guess it never pays to assume (there's that word again) that companies have consistency in their product labelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:33 pm 

youngvader wrote:
Names, AnnaMaria, names. We need names!

:lol: Consider it any store brand or no-name product unless you have verified with them that they are consistent in their labeling. :lol:

When a large chain grocery store starts selling cookies, cereal, soup, and everything else under their own name - they hire other companies to make the stuff for them. Verify with the store what the labelling procedure is.

Post subject: Campbell Soups
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:33 pm 

I recently had a reaction to their "Soup at Hand". Being an avid label reader I couldn't find anything that I thought I would be allergic too. Wrong! I contacted the Company & was told that since it is a fairly new product the people answering thier phones did not have an up to date list of ingrediants also since it is a U.S. owned company they do not have to list "sulphites" ect. if it less than a certain %. All I wanted to know was what was the preservative that was used so I could avoid a reaction to this product. They were of no help at all....so I now will avoid all Campbell soups. I know they list MSG, and some products say the ever popular "may contain" words but even some of their frozen soups have brought on anaphylaxis. M & M meats use "sulphites" but it is not listed as this on a lot of their products but if you ask the emplyees they are more than willing to go through their list of ingrediants to find the sulphite equilivant, if it has one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:46 pm 

That's really pathetic. I'm surprised that customer representatives of a major company like Campbells wouldn't be more knowledgable about their product and failing that more helpful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

The Canadian Food Inpection Agency ists sulphites amongst the top 9 fod allergens.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... ense.shtml
I woud think that it woud be required to be listed on the label. I would contact them if you find a product sold in Canada that contains sulphites that are not listed. :evil: