You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Do you think it's OK to give junk food as a treat to an allergic child?
Yes 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Occasionally 75%  75%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:25 pm 

there was a brief article in the toronto star the other day---

Reality of fast food dished out to kids
Apr. 10, 2006. 01:00 AM
SCOTT SIMMIE
FEATURE WRITER

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1144619553692

Quote:
Chew on This: Everything You Don't Want to Know About Fast Food is the newest assault from Eric Schlosser. He's the award-winning American journalist whose 2001 book, Fast Food Nation, bruised the reputation of fast-food giants and turned some consumers into activists. This effort, which he co-authors with Charles Wilson, is aimed at informing one of the industry's prime demographics: kids.

[ . . . . ]

Quote:
The book outlines the history of this transformation and the role marketing to young people has played in our changing eating habits. It shows how mascots, cross-promotions, "playlands" and massive ad campaigns start targeting toddlers, in the hope of creating cradle-to-grave brand loyalty. "(McDonald's) sells or gives away more than 1.5 billion toys every year," says the book. "Almost one out of every three new toys given to American kids each year comes from McDonald's or another fast-food chain."

[. . . .]

Quote:
Much of Chew on This is devoted to the food itself. It takes readers to the reeking feedlots of Greeley, Colo., where cattle spend their final days fattening up before being turned into burgers in massive slaughter/packing houses. It reveals how a single patty might contain meat from "hundreds or even thousands" of different cattle — and how this type of processing increases the risk that just one sick animal could potentially contaminate more than 100,000 burgers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:50 am 

saskmommyof2,

Please know that I am trying to understand :?

Quote:
Anyways, I did do something about the preschool junk problem. I pulled her out and chose to homeschool. If the school wants to be part of the problem with kids health issues (both the allergic kids and other kids), then I will not be a part of it.

What has the school learnt by this?
What have your daughters learnt?
How does this solve the problem?

I would like to tell you what I think. (I am not a Doctor, phsychiatrist, child expert etc. so I may be totally off base. Again this is my opinion)

What has the school learnt? That is an easy one! If you ignore her long enough she and all her problems will just go away!!!

By pulling your daughter out and home schooling you have taught her that she can trust no one. That she is to continually live in fear and hide behind her allergies. You have not taught her to stand up to others and be proud of the fact that she has allergies. (Why is it a bad thing?) and if others don't do what you want don't bother with them there is no need to cooperate or compromise. My way or the highway.....

How does pulling your kids out of school solve the problem? It doesn't. When you go back or someone else with allergies attends they must go through the same issues all over again.

Both my sons are PA. Just today my older one (who is 7) came home with a bag of candy. Was I angry? No. I took it as an opporunity. I told him that it was the right choice to bring it home and have it checked. I then went through the bag with him. I pulled out the jelly beans and said "Do you think these are safe?" he said "no." " I asked him why they were not safe?" He said "They are not sealed and they do not have an ingredients list." I then went on and asked him "What do you think we should do?" He said "Throw them out" so we did. I then went on to the next item and repeated it till the bag was empty. However there was one item that was in its original package but it did not have an ingredients list so we went online and looked up the ingredients. We could not find one for this particular item so I then said "Well now what do we do? should you eat it?" My 4 yr old son said "If in doubt throw it out" so we did! I then cheered! clapped! and told them how proud I was and turned it into a celebration.

I guess I could have got angry called the teacher, parents and principal and blamed all of them for exposing my children to junk food. But reality is they are going to have to live with junk food and peanut allergies for the rest of their lives.

So what he threw his easter candy out! Big deal! In return he got self confidence for making the right choices and a great big hug! He was so happy and proud of himself he no longer thought about the candy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:42 pm 

I bent over backwards trying to change things, and educate people. I wrote to my provincial ministers of health and eductaion. I contacted my MP. I contacted the future school, I talked to current parents of allergic kids at our K - eight school. I wrote letters to our preschool, I provided them with information, resources (alexander the elephant) to share with the class. I offered to be in charge of all food centered activities. I offered to help come up with alternatives to food...or bring the food, if the food was that important. No one was convinced that things needed to change or that their was a problem.

I look at the situation like this...

School is a place to educate children. It should be teaching children the valuable information they need to know to be successful and happy in life. This is not what I was seeing. I was seeing a school focused on having "fun" and keeping the majority of parents happy...regardless of the feelings of "minority" children. I saw a school teaching children to value "short term satisfaction" over long term health and well being.

Originally (back in the days of little house on the prarie) school was to teach basic reading, math, writing to kids whose parents did not know how to do such things, and could not teach them themselves.
The history of mass mandatory public education was to turn kids into workers for the industrial revolution. The idea was to get kids young so that their "home values could be replaced with the values of the government" and turn out "skilled workers" when they were old enough to be ready for jobs. Nowhere, were the ideas there that this mandatory "full time" education was best for the children, their emotional needs, their family bonds.

So, even if these ideas are not entirely the focus of todays eductaion, it has evolved from these ideas of the 50's...and the structure of the "school" has not changed much.

I do not feel that my children have a "job" here. They do not need to be made an example out of to train the schools and others about food allergies. They do not need to solve the problem with the eductaion system and neither do I. Their "job" is to learn what they need to know to be happy in life, and to enjoy the process, and to enjoy life. It is not their "job" to pave the way for other kids with allergies.

My oldest daughter is *only* allergic to peanuts/nuts and was in a peanut and nut free school. We had major issues every week! My youngest is allergic to milk, eggs, chicken, cats, dogs, chemical sensitive and yet to be confirmed environmental. There is no way I can put my daughter into a school with kids armed with the ability to kill her, or terrorize her if they want to. I strongly believe kids should not be at school with items which have the ability to kill their classmates...whether it be guns, knives or cheese.

Hopefully the school learned that feeding unnecessary junk food to 19 kids while one kid sat their feeling left out, was perhaps not very considerate.

Hopefully my daughters learned that if you do not like the way someone is treating you, that you have a choice. I did try unsuccessfully to comprimise. I always say "Treat me with respect, or don't treat me anyway at all". It is not worth it to surround yourself with people who have a negative affect on your life. You can not change everyone.

Life is more enjoyable when you can sit back, relax, and focus on happy thoughts...rather than on "how on earth can I create a school environment that will keep my child safe, and nurture her emotional needs rather than destroy her self worth, when everyone is opposed to ideas which benefit everyone".

We "dropped out" of preschool in february. I have NO regrets. My daughter is very happy, we spend more time with friends and family (that we like), we have the time to do things together that we may not have done if she was in school. She is learning lots...and we are having a great time being a family, and the stress in our house is almost non-existant. Her self esteem is much improved.

As far as homeschooled kids go, the vast majority are happy well adjusted kids, who rarely rebel as teens, and truly care about their education and future. The majority are readily accepted into the university of their choice, due to their level of maturity and higher test scores. The vast majority consider themselves to be very happy with their lives. The vast majority become socially resposible, respectful people with excellent bonds with their families.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:28 pm 

I agree that it isn't our responsibility to educate everyone about allergies---it is good to try, and progress can be made on that front, but a happy ending isn't guaranteed for everyone. My view of human nature: people are *generally* well meaning or want to appear so even if they aren't, but I don't think that any of us are primarily motivated by rationality--it is hard to change entrenched ideas. It can be done, but anyone who sets out to change the world wholesale is likely to hit a metaphorical brick wall from time to time. (That doesn't mean that we stop trying altogether--just that we have to recognize when we can't change things and also celebrate the small victories.)

As for homeschooling, it is not for everyone, and every child has a right to a public education, but I think it is the right thing for some families---unless we are living in other peoples' shoes, who is to say what is the "right" decision?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:00 pm 

I am not putting homeschooling down or saying that saskmommyof2 has made the wrong decisions. I am trying to understand How she came to this final decision.

What is the reasoning behind it. After I read that saskmommyof2 is also the parent that won't allow her children in the library I decided to read the entire discussion.

It seems to me (again I may be wrong) That saskmommyof2 likes to be in control of every situation. If things are not changed instantly to the way she wants she gets angry and pulls the kids out. example: School, library, soccer. I beleive that doing this does not accomplish anything for her, her children or society.

Quote:
I do not feel that my children have a "job" here. They do not need to be made an example out of to train the schools and others about food allergies. They do not need to solve the problem with the eductaion system and neither do I. Their "job" is to learn what they need to know to be happy in life, and to enjoy the process, and to enjoy life. It is not their "job" to pave the way for other kids with allergies.

If everyone felt this way "Blacks" would still be sitting at the back of the bus, Women would still not be able to vote, and our buildings would not be wheel chair accessible.
Is it your childrens "job" to just ride on the shirt tails of everyone else.

Quote:
There is no way I can put my daughter into a school with kids armed with the ability to kill her, or terrorize her if they want to. I strongly believe kids should not be at school with items which have the ability to kill their classmates...whether it be guns, knives or cheese.

I'm sorry but does this mean that you do not have any knives in your home. Children can drown in an inch of water. Does this mean you do not have water in your home.

Quote:
Hopefully the school learned that feeding unnecessary junk food to 19 kids while one kid sat their feeling left out, was perhaps not very considerate.

Have you sat back and considered the other 19 kids and their feelings. Maybe they were extremely happy giving and sharing then along comes in this mom and says you need to put a stop to this and snatches away a part of their happiness.
Quote:

and the stress in our house is almost non-existant.

I think this was done mainly for yourself most 4 yr olds don't have stress.

I am not saying that I am perfect in fact I know that I am far from it. I have had a life full of turmoil. I used to be very angry about this and have now learned to look at it in a positive
light.

Everything happens for a reason. My job is to look at it. Find a negative and turn it into a positive. For example negative~I have two sons with PA. positive~I have two wonderful sons. negative~their school did not have a policy. Positive~The school is now working on one. There are 19 children with allergies in the school why has nothing been done till now? I have asked the principal he has stated that some of these parents are out of control and can never be made happy. Many of these parents just like to sit back and complain but do nothing to fix the problem. If the problem is fixed they will find something else that is wrong. Without him giving any names I have discovered who these parents are. I too prefer not to work with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:23 pm 

Sil,
Quote:
It seems to me (again I may be wrong) That saskmommyof2 likes to be in control of every situation. If things are not changed instantly to the way she wants she gets angry and pulls the kids out. example: School, library, soccer. I beleive that doing this does not accomplish anything for her, her children or society.

I have 2 kids with severe multiple allergies. Milk allergy (especially an allergy as contact sensitive as my daughters ) is so inbelieveably difficlult. At the library kids run around everywhere with goldfish crackers, cheezies and other stuff too and get it on everything! Kids who even try to stick their snack in your kids mouth. The activities we have been involved in in the past and not continued with were ones where I tried very hard to comprimise...but bottom line...my youngest CANNOT be in a room full of kids eating milk. Little kids touch everything and give the occassional kiss to other kids. If I do not have some control over the situations I put my kids into...we could have real...serious consequences.

If an activity is dangerous and not fun, why contuinue with it just to prove a point? My oldest has been in dance for 2 years, and both daughters in gymnastics for 1 year. We are continuing with these.

Quote:
If everyone felt this way "Blacks" would still be sitting at the back of the bus, Women would still not be able to vote, and our buildings would not be wheel chair accessible.
Is it your childrens "job" to just ride on the shirt tails of everyone else.

Actually, we don't. I have found that in situations like the preschool and library I at least brought up the issues, and that it was not safe the way they were and perhaps helped others in the future. I do my part too. In august I have to write to the school board on why I have chosen to homeschool. The safety of our home vs the school with kids eating treats continually in class will be included. My children will just not be in the middle of the debate over their safety and inclusion everyday at school.

Quote:
I'm sorry but does this mean that you do not have any knives in your home. Children can drown in an inch of water. Does this mean you do not have water in your home.

Okay, honestly, children at school with weapons is hardly the same thing as water in the bathtub or knives in the kitchen. There are numerous stories of kids bullied with their allergens. One boy in highschool had peanut butter held to his face and went into anaphylactic shock, the school said "kids will be kids". I believe the family is sueing the school.

Quote:
I think this was done mainly for yourself most 4 yr olds don't have stress.

Four year olds don't have stress :shock: . Going to a school everyday that excludes you, gives you treats and you have to remember not to eat them or you could die! Kids who tease you about having peanuts in their pockets! No that does not sound stressful :roll: .

I do not judge anyone who has chosen traditional schooling. I believe schools should be safe and accessable for everyone and treat everyone with respect. I felt that I needed to explore all options...and do some real research on all of them, before making a decision. Homeschooling is not for everyone...I do not believe that it is. I need to do what is best for my kids, my family which may not be what everyone else is doing. I choose to still be a part of discussions about the food in the schools...I like to stay informed...and I will inform my school district about why I have made the choice I did. I talked to my local homeschool organization, and I am not alone. I am absolutely not the only parent homeschooling kids with severe food allergies...there are a lot of us. One homeschool conference encouraged kids to come ( I did not attend ) but I heard that the conference accomidated numerous allergies for meals. There was just a demand for allergy friendly meals among homeschoolers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:38 pm 

saskmommyof2,

I am not trying to attack you. I am simply saying that every child has rights wether they have allergies or not.

Quote:
If I do not have some control over the situations I put my kids into...we could have real...serious consequences
Unfortunately we can not "control" life. What we can control is how you allow it to affect you and your children.
Quote:
in situations like the preschool and library I at least brought up the issues, and that it was not safe the way they were and perhaps helped others in the future. I do my part too.

How is this "Doing your part"? What is it that you have done? What have you, your children or anyone else learnt from this.
Quote:
children at school with weapons is hardly the same thing as water in the bathtub or knives in the kitchen. There are numerous stories of kids bullied with their allergens. One boy in highschool had peanut butter held to his face and went into anaphylactic shock, the school said "kids will be kids". I believe the family is sueing the school.

I have a cousin that lost his life because he drowned!! Does the fact that he did not have allergies make him less dead? I think not!!! Does this make the consequences less serious? No! Are my Aunt and Uncle or anyone else to blame because they did not have "control" of the situation. No!
I have four children two girls and two boys. My girls do not have any allergies however two years ago my eldest daughter was starting to behave oddly. She was suffering headaches, breathing problems and was becoming very quiet. My husband and I kept trying to talk to her and taking her to the doctor to see what the problem was. One night she literally collapsed in my arms. To make a long story short. She was being bullied at school. Why was she being bullied? She did not have allergies? Believe it or not it was because she was walking to school with a classmate that no one else liked. The fact is this was taking affect on her health. Did this affect her less because she did not have allergies? No! Simply the fact that she cried and vomited every morning before going to school showed that it affected her. Did I tell her to stop walking with this classmate? No. Did I pull her out of school? No. We both faced the situation together. She stood up to her classmates and continued walking to school with her friend. I called a meeting with the Principle,Vice Principle and Parish Priest we found solutions together. I could have sued the school as well but I think this experience has made her much more special. She now has become very independant, strong and very caring of others feelings.
Quote:
Four year olds don't have stress . Going to a school everyday that excludes you, gives you treats and you have to remember not to eat them or you could die! Kids who tease you about having peanuts in their pockets! No that does not sound stressful .

I have had "3" 4yr olds go through school one with allergies. In September my "4th" 4yr old who also has allergies will be attending school. None of my children were stressed. They have all had their struggles but I think that these struggles make them who they are today. My older son has never felt excluded. He was and still is given treats and yes he does have to remember not to eat them or he could die! That is something I have no control of! If I did I would gladly take it away from him. The only control of the situation I do have is that I can tell him every day that I love him and that I will do all that I can to teach him, support him and understand him. I will also try my absolute best to keep him out of harms way but he needs to work with me as a team. I refuse to wrap them in a plastic bubble that eventually pops and exposes them to world that they will not be equiped to handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:56 pm 

Sil, not trying to attack you either...debates are healthy every now and then.

Yes, every child has the right to an education. Parents also have the right to homeschool.

I must add that the situation with my oldest PA daughter at a peanut free school is NOT the same situation I face with my younger daughter and her allergies. MIlk being the biggest challenge.

Regardless of allergies, yes many children are bullied and made to feel worthless by other children. Too many "junk experiences" are not good for a child either. You can stand up for yourself by choosing a life away from those who choose to bully and disrespect others.

Children learn from those around them. One teacher in a class of 25 kids does not have the one on one time to spend with each kid. Kids learn a lot at school that is not on the cirriculum, including disrespect and how to treat others poorly. Kids leading kids. As a homeschooler, children learn more from the adults around them, and people who are a part of their life because they are good people, not because they are the same age and happen to live in the same neighbourhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:14 am 

saskmommyof2,

Quote:
debates are healthy every how and then.

I must agree 100%. How else are we to learn about other peoples views or perceptions of the world.

I absolutely love kids. My home has always been the one on the block that kids hang out at. My neices, nephews and childrens friends are always here. They ask me for advice, opinions and help. I have up to 17 kids here on a regular basis. I have had neighbours asking if I run a daycare. (which I don't) However I could never homeschool. I guess that is why I wonder why and how you chose to homeschool.

Quote:
Kids learn a lot at school that is not on the cirriculum, including disrespect and how to treat others poorly.

This is true. However I do not allow any disrespect or poor treatment to others in my home. I am very easy going however my children and their friends know exactly where I draw the line. As soon as this is exhibited it is dealt with immediately. Most of the time my children will put a stop to it before I get a chance to.

I am by no means my childrens friend nor do I want to be. I am their mother and I take this seriously. I pray every day that I am doing a good job. But I also know that God will only give me what I can handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:16 pm 

Quote:
I refuse to wrap them in a plastic bubble that eventually pops and exposes them to world that they will not be equiped to handle.

Quite a common myth about homeschooling. In no way are they in a bubble. They do experience the outside world. They attend dance, gymnastics and will be in music class next year (provided it is fun and safe). We also purchased a fifth wheel last year so that we can travel. I do not consider our school year to end in june, lots of great learning opportinities occur in the summer months. We are taking a trip to calgary to see the zoo and drumheller for the dinosaur museum this summer. We also plan on spending time at various lakes and parks. Also, since we are not held to our city by mandatory activities (it is okay to miss a week or dance/gym now and then ) we will be able to travel during the school year and visit interesting places. A lot of interesting places are pretty slow to visitors during the week and I have heard that homeschooling kids get lots of attention from those who work at these places since they are the only ones there. The kids often get to participate in activities with (for example) the staff at the zoo who are able to do an extra activity with 2 kids with their mother that they are unable to do with a school group tour.

I am not homeschooling because I am choosing NOT to do traditional school. I am homeschooling because I want to. The situation in the schools was mearly a catalist for my looking into alternatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:13 am 

saskmommyof2,

As I have stated three or four times earlier I have nothing against homeschooling. However you choose to see and read only what you choose to see and read and that is what bothers me about why you are choosing to homeschool.

Quote:
I do not consider our school year to end in june

Life in general does not end in June. The children that do attend school from Sept. to June do not stop learning during July and August.

Quote:
lots of great learning opportinities occur in the summer months. We are taking a trip to calgary to see the zoo and drumheller for the dinosaur museum this summer. We also plan on spending time at various lakes and parks. Also, since we are not held to our city by mandatory activities (it is okay to miss a week or dance/gym now and then ) we will be able to travel during the school year and visit interesting places. A lot of interesting places are pretty slow to visitors during the week and I have heard that homeschooling kids get lots of attention from those who work at these places since they are the only ones there. The kids often get to participate in activities with (for example) the staff at the zoo who are able to do an extra activity with 2 kids with their mother that they are unable to do with a school group tour.

You may want to think twice about attending these places they are public therefore you will be unable to control their environment and may expose your children to something that they are allergic to.
My younger daughter is not homeschooled and believe it or not she will be spending the night along with a few friends and staff in Science world. My allergic son who also attends school has watched and practiced with the Canucks hockey team and the list goes on and on. So don't tell me that only homeschooled children get special attention.

Quote:
I am not homeschooling because I am choosing NOT to do traditional school. I am homeschooling because I want to. The situation in the schools was mearly a catalist for my looking into alternatives.

Exactly you are homeschooling because you want to.

Quote:
Quite a common myth about homeschooling. In no way are they in a bubble. They do experience the outside world.

I am not stating that all homeschooled children live in a bubble. I am afraid that you will teach your children in a bubble. I truly hope that you can prove me wrong in 12 years. In the mean time. I suggest you step back and take a real look at the big picture. If you do you may understand why people in the real world do no like to deal with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:19 am 

Sil, can you explain why you criticize saskmommyof2 for teaching her children in a plastic bubble and then you tell her that she shouldn't take her children to the zoo or the museum? It seems as though you are contradicting yourself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:39 am 

I'm uncomfortable with the direction in which the discussion is heading---open debate is good, but this discussion is getting too personal.

Last edited by Helen on Tue May 30, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:00 am 

I think Sil and saskmommyof2 both make valid points. We are all very passionate about our children and all want to do what we feel is best for them. We all have to face difficult situations and difficult decisions. We only do the best we can.

It's hard enough to raise children. Add to this life-threatening allergies and all of a sudden we are having to navigate in very difficult waters and dodge all kinds of obstacles. As our children and us learn to navigate, hopefully we will get stronger and more skilled, whatever path we choose. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:52 am 

Sil, I cannot understand why you seem so bothered by the decisions I have made for my family. I do not need to justify my decisions...but have offered information here on why we (my husband included) have made the decisions we have.

Quote:
As I have stated three or four times earlier I have nothing against homeschooling. However you choose to see and read only what you choose to see and read and that is what bothers me about why you are choosing to homeschool.

You do not know what I choose to see, read and understand. I thought we were being civil and tolerant of the fact that we are diiferent people, and have very diiferent situations. In another topic you said your sons school was peanut free and "may contains" were not going to be allowed. Our would-be-future-school has a pizza day every day, a milk program, monthly milk filled bake sales and sells numerous milk containing foods in the vending machines. Practically every kid is eating milk everyday, and not even washing after. The school "suggests" kids wash after eating, but it is not mandatory, so hardly anyone does it. This amount of milk in the schools is in every school ( and needs to be to some extent...lots of kids drink milk)! However, the pizza is very messy and gets cheezy grease on everything. Hardly the same situation as a school that bans even "may contains".

I have a hard time believeing you are okay with homeschooling, as you say you are because of comments like "live in a bubble". After your previous post, the one where I was not attacked, I chose to re-read this thread. I realized I had not responded to the accusation that I live in a bubble. That is why I added it.

You say you do not allow disrespect in your home...but what...over the internet is okay? You inquired about what has lead me to this decision...I summed it up for you...I have lots more I could say on the topic, but I do not wish to continue discussing anything with someone who seems to want to take everything out of context and attack it. However, you seem to choose to see everything I say about "the positive aspects of homeschooling" and take it as a personal attack against you, and your parenting...which it is not.