You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hearts of Palm?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:40 am 

Is this safe for tree nut allergies? I can safely eat coconut, bananas, and I assume this would be in that family? From what I have read it sounds like it would be in the same family as coconut?

Post subject: Hearts of Palm?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:11 pm 

I have no clue. Other than to say that I in the last 13 years I have not eaten 'raw coconut' , only because i could not get a definitive answer from a pharmacist or a scientist,. So I avoid all.. I may find out in thiis coming week, when i have to go for skin testing . All I know is that I have to bring a 'fresh coconut' and my allergist will crack it open and test me. I do know from all my years of inquries and looking it up. The coconut is a 'decidious fruit', with a nut like shell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:12 am 

Well, after searching the internet and finding no mention of a problem with hearts of palm for nut allergic people, I tried them. I was fine. They really don't look anything like a nut. I guess if you're allergic to coconut, this may be a different issue.

Post subject: Palm
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:30 pm 

I tend to agree. Its fear that I have not eaten 'coconut'. I was not able to go for my RAST tests. Very bad cold and just getting over it.. I cant wait to eat some raw coconut and a coconut cream pie for my Dad. He has not had a home made one since my my passed away some 5 years ago. I would love nothing more than to do that for my Dad. He has to buy from the bakery because of me and my allergys. I should mention that I have, had 7 ana. reactions in the past, up to Feb. of this year.. Therefore, I do need to be careful. I am just grateful to be here, and have made it through each trip to emerg. and each reaction. Thats Life.

Post subject: treenut allergies
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:18 am 

What are "Hearts of Palm"? - this is new to me - never heard of them before - are they a nut? where do they originate from? If its a nut, I want to be able to clue in my adult kids so they know to watch for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:27 am 

Pepper,

Here is a definition I cut and pasted for you:

hearts of palm = palmitos = palm hearts = swamp cabbage Equivalents: 1 cup = 146 grams Notes: These are peeled cabbage palm buds, and they're terrific in salads or as a vegetable side dish. You can buy them fresh only in Florida, but the canned version is quite good.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:44 pm 

This is a site that I quite like when I'm not sure what is related to what:

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/E ... anical.htm

It says that the following are in the palm family:

Palm: Coconut, Date, Palm Cabbage, Sago.

I always thought that hearts of palm were just that -- the middle of the palm. Am I wrong?

Monty, if you are worried that coconut is a nut, worry no more. It's not a nut. (Of course, if you've reacted to coconut, then you may have a coconut allergy, which is totally possible! But people who are allergic to nuts should be okay with coconut. And nutmeg.)

K.