You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Do you think it's OK to give junk food as a treat to an allergic child?
Yes 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Occasionally 75%  75%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:03 am 

My own view is that parenting is a very personal thing, and that living with allergies is a very personal thing, and that we're all doing the best we can to deal with what's been dealt to us. The only thing we all have in common here is that we are dealing with allergies - and we're not all dealing with the same allergies! So even understanding where another person is coming from with regards to the allergies they are dealing with can be challenging at times.

If I haven't walked in someone else's shoes, I do not know what he or she has gone through, so I don't personally feel I have to right to question his or her decisions.

This forum is for supporting each other and for learning from each other and for informing each other about what's going on in the world of allergies. It's not for critiquing each other's choices. So let's try not to do that, okay?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:04 am 

Quote:
Sil, can you explain why you criticize saskmommyof2 for teaching her children in a plastic bubble and then you tell her that she shouldn't take her children to the zoo or the museum? It seems as though you are contradicting yourself...

I was being sarcastic.

Quote:
In another topic you said your sons school was peanut free and "may contains" were not going to be allowed.

This is true but it is not something I recommended the school to do. In fact if you read it again you will see I have concerns regarding the pressure this puts on parents of non allergic children. If the school does implement this I would regard it as a bonus but it is not something that I would demand.

Quote:
I have a hard time believeing you are okay with homeschooling, as you say you are because of comments like "live in a bubble". After your previous post, the one where I was not attacked, I chose to re-read this thread. I realized I had not responded to the accusation that I live in a bubble. That is why I added it.

Children will only give what you expect from them. I was helping out a friend last year that has a 4yr old PA daugher. My son is 1 month apart in age. My son could dress himself and put on his own shoes. This little girl did not know how to do any of this in fact whenever I told her to put on her shoes she would give me a temper tantrum. I would refuse to help her unless she at least tried to help herself by the end of the second day she was putting her shoes on by herself. To this day whenever she sees me she runs and gives me a huge hug. Her self esteem literally doubled that afternoon.

I'm sorry if you view my discusssion with you as disrespect and as a attack That is not my intention. I think homeschooling can be a very positive and wonderful experience for many children. If you are able to take every opportunity wether it be positive or negative and turn it into a lesson however I am finding that with these opportunities you are becoming angry and are removing the children. That is why I question your decision? Even though I do not know you or your children I wish you all no harm and the very best that life has to give. However I have found the more careful or protective you are the more children seem to rebel.