You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:46 pm 

Cybele Pascal, author of the Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook, will be on the Martha Stewart Living Show on Thursday, April 20. I'm assuming that those with cable would be able to see it. (We don't have cable!)

A preview of the show is at http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=learn-cat&id=cat20027&rsc=SC287206.

Apparently they will be making cookies free of wheat, dairy, and egg.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:11 pm 

We don't have cable either. Here is a link to the featured recipe, Rolled Maple Sugar Cookies:

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml ... out=martha

Mildly allergic to chocolate, celery, yeast and egg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

It was really good. Here's a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmDtk6VjKnI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:46 am 

Hi,

Is it just me or did Martha say she was sort of allergic to Lobsters? How can someone be sort of allergic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Martha made that one remark that showed she should get herself to an allergist for shellfish testing.

But Cybele was great, as was the profile for food allergies. And Martha was sympathetic to the cause, the toll on families.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:35 pm 

I'm sorry Gwen. I disagree with you I thought Martha looked very ignorant towards allergies. Other than the introduction to the allergy cook book which I'm sure was researched and written for Martha to say. I believe she knew nothing. Why would she ask if people are allergic to salt? Why did she not mention more important information such as cross contamination for parents of non-allergic children so that they can bring the cookies in for class days at school etc.

I agree any form of exposure in regards to allergies is great but I also believe that education is key and Martha did not seem to be educated in the least. I don't think eating lobster for a week will lead you to allergies.

Yes. Cybele was great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:36 am 

I thought it was a good show. Martha Stewart wasn't posing as an allergy expert....she was just drawing attention to food allergies. it was just a cooking show, not a health info. show. and I would rather have someone ask lots of questions which show that they assume nothing than to make assumptions that are false. asking questions when one isn't sure isn't "ignorant"--but making wrong assumptions without having knowledge is. (I much prefer eating at peoples' homes if they ask me what they need to do to keep me safe rather than to assume (wrongly often) that they understand all about allergies.) The questions Martha asked might also be rhetorical in part....i.e. she might be thinking that the audience has the same questions.

i do hope that she gets herself to a doctor for testing. it sounds to me like she has a lobster allergy. her experience with lobster rings true at least to me. there have been things that i'm a "little" allergic to.....some oral allergy syndrome things were like that...some types of beans...corn. i find that with these things if i eat them too often or eat too much of them that my reactions get worse. it wasn't until i got yelled at by an allergist for eating a bit of a banana (and having a "mild" OAS type reaction) that i realized that mouth and throat tingling/ itching was considered to be serious.

On the salt allergy issue---that is a good question. people can in fact be allergic to salt. well, not to the sodium chloride per se, but to the additives. all salt with added iodine that i've seen also has dextrose....which is corn sugar and does have corn proteins. so someone who is severely allergic to corn might have to stick to pure sea salt.

also, people *can* be allergic to sugar. yes, most people who are "allergic" to sugar actually just mean that sugar makes them hyper. but some people are allergic to the proteins in the sugar cane plant (i have a reference for this if anyone is interested)

the show did raise a few questions in my mind. like: do the wheat allergic need to avoid oats which is cross-contaminated with wheat? the answer to that question *seems* obvious: I would guess yes. *but* I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy and no one mentioned anything about avoiding oats so I don't know. maybe if one is "moderately" allergic to wheat (in my case, "class II") one doesn't have to avoid oats?

2) I avoid spectrum products because of the nut warnings on all of their oils. perhaps this spectrum shortening mentioned on the show is made in a different plant or on different lines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:10 am 

The Martha Stewart show is light and airy... it's not Oprah! :D I guess they didn't want to focus on anaphylaxis and death... that would be too morbid for that type of show. I think that having Cybele Pascal on the show raised a lot of awareness on the issue. I agree that Martha is ignorant about what allergies really are. She doesn't know the difference between allergies, intolerances and sensitivities. She said she's only allergic to lobster "sometimes" when she eats too much of it (like the 21 lobsters she ate while she was in Maine). :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Ah yes, issues with allergen "load" one time, big reaction to less the next?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
On the salt allergy issue---that is a good question. people can in fact be allergic to salt. well, not to the sodium chloride per se, but to the additives. all salt with added iodine that i've seen also has dextrose....which is corn sugar and does have corn proteins. so someone who is severely allergic to corn might have to stick to pure sea salt.

Sometimes salt is mixed with cornstarch to prevent sticking "even when it rains, it pours". Definately a problem for those with corn allergies.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb