You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:07 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Ontario
I seem to have ants coming into my bathroom through the window, so I went to buy ant traps to put on the window ledge. I am not a fan of pesticides, but I am a squeemish girly-girl who is moreso unwilling to have little critter visitors in the house!

All the ant traps at my local hardware store contained peanut butter or some form of peanuts as the bait! As the mother of a peanut allergic child I found this very disconcerting as presumably the ants carry the bait off, so it would likely be spread around from these traps. I will give the various manufacturers credit for listing the allergy warning, however.

I wanted to post a heads-up here, as this might be a problem for the severely peanut allergic who are in buildings where these sorts of traps are in use.

In the meantime, I need to figure out another way to get rid of my unwanted ants!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:03 pm
Posts: 105
Location: Coquitlam
Hi,

I lived in a home that every year at certain times of the year the ants would come to visit. I got to know them so well that after a while I knew exactly when and where they were coming from and would spray their entrance to the house before they even had a chance to enter. Until then the only thing that I found worked was Ant-B-Gon. It is a liquid containing Borax. You just set out a piece of tinfoil where the ants seem to be entering from for easy clean up and put a whole pile of the liquid on it. You may find that half way through the evening you may need to refill it. The ants take it and take it back to the nest. It is very interesting to watch how they work and communicate with each other.
You should keep it out of reach of children so I would set it out at night and clean it up in the morning before the kids got up. (however I still warned them not to touch if they did see it)
Careful though because ants are very smart creatures and will begin to recognize the smell of the product so you may need to switch to another name brand the following year. (example Raid.)

The website is www.greencrosscanada.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:05 pm
Posts: 528
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Nialla,

Thank you for the heads up, because we have used these ant traps in the past and I would never have thought to check the ingredients or that there would be peanut butter in them!

Good find!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:24 pm
Posts: 94
Location: Toronto area
Wow! You guys are good! I would never, ever, have thought that ant traps had peanut butter in them. Hey, all we need now are ana ants and the problem would be solved :lol: (sorry, bad joke). Another heads-up I found out about that I also would never have expected - my older daughter tends to have wax build up problems in one ear so I went looking for drops to soften or remove wax. I sure am glad that reading labels is now a habit - I found a product with "peanut oil" as one of the ingredients :!: :shock: (sorry, don't have the name of it as I didn't purchase it). With nut allergies being so prevalent, why in the world would a manufacturer use a nut oil in their product :?: I don't know if my daughter would have reacted as its internal but not ingested - BUT - I'm sure not willing to find out the hard way. I took the package to the pharmacist and suggested it be put behind the counter or at least have a warning sign on the shelf for the safety of nut allergic people - he had never seen the warning on the pkg and was totally unaware of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:05 pm
Posts: 528
Location: Burlington, Ontario
That is very irresponsible of the company, especially a pharmaceutical company! And especially for a product that is also used on children!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:38 pm
Posts: 1643
Location: Toronto
Pepper wrote:
Hey, all we need now are ana ants and the problem would be solved :lol: (sorry, bad joke).


That's exactly what my son said. I use the squirt poison - it also has peanut oil in it. I refuse to have my house over-run with ants and it's the only thing that works. I worried a bit when I had to use it in my kitche - but fortunately, a good scrubbing and I've had no reactions.


Pepper wrote:
Another heads-up I found out about that I also would never have expected - my older daughter tends to have wax build up problems in one ear so I went looking for drops to soften or remove wax. I sure am glad that reading labels is now a habit - I found a product with "peanut oil" as one of the ingredients :!: :shock:


First - the product is called Ceruminex - it's been on the market for years and has always had peanut oil.

Second - even without a peanut allergy, you probably shouldn't use it. The warnings on it are pretty severe. Don't use with middle ear infection. Don't use with perferated ear drum. I had it prescribed by a doctor (not our regular) and the pharmacist was very strongly opposed to it ever being used. (It is an over the counter drug, but the doctor wrote a prescription.) The pharmacist gave me all these instructions about *washing* it out. I read the label while he was filling another prescription for us, and decided not to buy it. Then I called my son's ENT who was also strongly against it's use.

Most ear wax is not dangerous, and usually your body expells it itself. When ear wax is a serious problem and doctor can clean it out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:53 pm
Posts: 1454
Location: Canada
another idea to get rid of ants that I've heard about----cut a clove of garlic in two and rub it on their trail. Not sure if this works (and it sounds to me like more of an ant repellant than ant poison)--but it might be worth a shot.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group