Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Asthma and airlines
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:33 am 

Hi,

I am going to be travelling to london from south africa in the next 2 months or so and i'm really concerned because my boyfriend who has asthma will be with me and i'm worried that the air in the plane may trigger an asthma attack. It's an approximately 15 hour flight and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what we could do to reduce the chance of an attack? I've travelled a lot - mainly long flights and even as a non-asthmatic i know that i've had that tight chest feeling so i'm worried for him on the flight.

Is there anything that can be done or taken prior to the flight or during it to help fight any adverse effects?

Thanks
Jules

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:27 pm 

I'm not sure about the asthma but my girlfriend just got back from Sri Lanka it is an extremely long trip (20 hours I think) and she said she was shocked when they distributed peanuts on the flight. She immediately thought of my sons and did not open them for the longest time. :shock:

After about 15 min and no reactions or anything from the other passengers she opened hers up and ate them :wink:

I would however call ahead to the airlines and ask them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:09 pm 

May be he could take a dose of Ventolin (blue inhaler) at the beginning of the flight, just like my daughter does before exercising, to prevent an attack. He should definitely take all his inhalers with him on the plane and not pack them in the suitcase, one, in case he does have an attack, two, in case he loses his luggage.

He should talk to his doctor to see if perhaps he should be on Advair (which combines both the emergency medication and the anti-inflammatory medication) a week or two prior to your trip.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:43 am 

Thanks for the advice - It's really appreciated.

Sil: I'm so glad that neither of us suffer from allergies that badly because it would just stress me out so badly that i probably would have an anxiety attack instead or as well as having the allergy attack.

Nicole: Thanks for the advice - we'll go and chat to the doctor about taking your advice. He definitely would never leave his pump out of his reach, something we're both really careful about.

The help is appreciated
Jules