* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:29 am 

For Adults, Allergies Bring a Surprising Twist
By Laurie Tarkan
The New York Times

Published: April 18, 2006

It came as a big surprise when Gittel Willner suffered her first bout of hay fever at the age of 47.

"I never had allergies before," said Mrs. Willner, now 53 and living in Brooklyn. "I remember thinking, How could this happen?"

Two years later, she had a frightening allergic reaction to a nut.

"One morning, I was cleaning up the counters, I found a filbert and popped it into my mouth," she said. "Within a minute, my chest started constricting, I couldn't breathe, and I thought I was dying."

For the full story, go to http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/18/health/18alle.html?ex=1145505600&en=a8dd8626cf2de85e&ei=5087%0A.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:11 pm 

I sent a link to this article to someone in my family, but thinly disguised my motive for doing so :lol: I mentioned that the article suggests that indoor pollution, pesticides, etc. might be among the causes of the increased prevalance of allergies. (and this *is* one of my issues) But the *real* reason I sent it is because the person has been experiencing reactions to some sort of unidentified nut. The last time he ate something at someone's house and reacted---he had to get up in the middle of the night to take Benadryl due to throat itchiness. He figures it is hazelnuts because he has heard an allergy to hazelnuts is common among people with allergies. I believe he is avoiding hazelnuts. But he doesn't know *for sure* that it is hazelnuts. And he doesn't tend to inquire about ingredients. He needs to go to the doctor and get it checked out. Anyhow, I hope the story about the filberts rings a bell. Sneaky, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:02 am 

That sounds so much like my mom - Going to try and get her to come and have a look at this forum, once she's read that article. All good until this year (she's 56) when she suddenly developed an allergic reaction to smoked salmon and is now avoiding all fish and seafood to be safe. She comes out in a rash all over - luckily it hasn't proved as life threatening as what the woman in the article experiences, but it's still worrying.

Thanks for putting up that link since i'm sure she'll be happy to know she isnt the only one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:39 am 

You can tell your mom there are a lot of us that suddenly developed allergies. I was in my late 20's. My sister was in her late 30's (maybe early 40's, I'm not sure).

In my case what started as an inconvenience and an embarrassement developed into anaphylaxis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:49 pm 

I too was surprised to suddenly go ana after IV of ampicillin was inserted. (48) Had taken penicillin my entire life and luckily for me the day surgery was just around the corner from emergency. By the time (just a minute or so) I got there my throat was down to the size of a straw. Almost needed a trach. (sp) Was told allergies can appear at any age. :(

Now my beloved seafood is off limits. :( This ana showed up at (51).

I think that anyone, no matter the age, should be tested for allergies after any noticeable reaction. Just to be on the safe side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:49 pm 

I too was surprised to suddenly go ana after IV of ampicillin was inserted. (48) Had taken penicillin my entire life and luckily for me the day surgery was just around the corner from emergency. By the time (just a minute or so) I got there

Last edited by susieQ on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:50 pm 

I too was surprised to suddenly go ana after IV of ampicillin was inserted. (48) Had taken penicillin my entire life and luckily for me the day surgery was just around the corner from emergency. By the time (just a minute or so) I got there my throat was down to the size of a straw. Almost needed a trach. (sp) Was told allergies can appear at any age. :(

Now my beloved seafood is off limits. :( This ana showed up at (51).

I think that anyone, no matter the age, should be tested for allergies after any noticeable reaction. Just to be on the safe side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:53 pm 

Sorry about the triple messages. For some reason it wouldn't take and I submitted it several times until it took. Also, the age for pencillin allergy was to be 48 but my sad face took out the 8. Ooops. Not one of my better days on the keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:27 pm 

I've lived with pretty severe allergies (food and environmental) all my life but was never ana to anything. Imagine my surprise when in my 20's I eat some sunflower seeds and within 10 minutes my throat was closing up. I was alone...it was scary. I haven't gone near a sunflower seed since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:52 am 

Thank you for reassuring me - was getting really worried that there was something happening to our family. I know that its terrible thing to happen to anyone, but realising that it is happening to people of all ages makes it a little easier to deal with. My big thing is that i keep wondering why there are so many people developing allergies later in life.There seem to be far more people who are developing them later in life than previously. What is changing around us to produce this reaction in our bodies?