You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The Grocery Challenge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:06 pm 

I have a question regarding the The Grocery Challenge. Maybe others spotted the same thing.

When Madeleine did her shopping (allergies:peanut, soy, shellfish) I noticed something in her cart that surprised me. Along with finding items without our allergens we must also be aware of possible cross-contamination.

The item in question - Campbells soup. They also make seafood chowder and clam chowder. After reading the article I made a point of checking the establishment number on the cans of campbells soups and it appears that all of their soups are made in the same facility. Would that not put the shopper at risk from cross-contamination by purchasing that item?

Anyone else have a comment on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Wow suzieQ, you know a lot about the numbers. I only know the UPC code. What part is the facility number and what part is the batch. How does it work?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm – I didn't worry about this in editing that piece as she was referring to a soup in Campbell's Gardennay line of vegetable soups, which I happen to know and buy myself. No shellfish in the line. And the soup comes in vacuum-sealed boxes, not cans.

I've spoken to Campbell's in past on other products, and they say they label major allergens and show "may contains" if there's a risk. But I guess you could check specifically about this soup.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:49 am 

susieQ wrote:
The item in question - Campbells soup. They also make seafood chowder and clam chowder. After reading the article I made a point of checking the establishment number on the cans of campbells soups and it appears that all of their soups are made in the same facility. Would that not put the shopper at risk from cross-contamination by purchasing that item?

Anyone else have a comment on this?

I haven't specifically contacted Campbells, but there are some companies that I trust that do have my allergens in the same facility. They do a thorough wash down between runs, and the common allergens are NOT in at the same time.

So, it is possible the Campbells soup could still be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:49 pm 

I know I'm really slow with this one but...I just got around to trying out the Steamed Chicken Dim Sum recipe in the Spring 2006 issue...(thanks for these "inspired asian" recipes by the way). I sooo miss eating asian since my son's FA diagnosis and my mouth was watering looking at the pictures...anyway, I made them and they were fabulous!! My whole family raved about them (except Ethan, he said he'll try them next time :wink: ). Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:01 am 

My whole family loves the chicken dim sum and I wanted to make some in advance for Christmas -- does anyone know if I could make them ahead and then freeze them? Would I make them, steam them and then freeze or freeze before steaming? Would I just unthaw in the fridge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Just sent an e-mail off to AL's Food Editor, Simon Clarke.

Only problem: he's catering during this season, so I may not hear back pronto.

If I don't answer this quickly, somebody else please weigh in for Ethansmom.