You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:09 pm 

How awesome is the ad for Quaker Granola Bars now that they are peanut free!!!???

I think we should all write in to voice our support for promoting their peanut free products in mass media. With more attention given to our cause, I'm hoping that other food manufacturers will hop on the bandwagon.

Yay Quaker!

(I am in no way affiliated with Quaker Foods or their advertising agency!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:21 pm 

I just saw the Ad, thank goodness!!! I am going to write them. I think it is fantastic and about time!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:18 pm 

Be careful however, because not all their granola bars are peanut free. Be sure to read the label and that it has the peanut free logo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:06 am 

My kids just saw the advertisement yesterday. They were very excited.

When I came home with some granola bars later in the day they were ecstatic!! Especially my girls because they used to eat granola bars before I had my son. I bet if they had a choice of either $100 or the granola bars they would have picked the granola bars. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:25 am 

My son's (no known food allergies) all love these. So does my hubby.

So far, my favourite is Rocky Road. But, I really want to try the Bumbleberry, which someone else told me is also peanut-free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:07 pm 

You can read about the various flavours here:

http://www.breakfastcentral.ca/product.asp

So far we've found the Apple, Rocky Road, and Chocolate Chip ones around here. I haven't seen the Bumbleberry ones.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:30 am 

I found the Bumbleberry last night. It is good - but Rocky Road remains my favourite.

Also, for anyone in my area, they are on sale at Dominion this week.

Also, met a friendly man at the store. He pointed out that it was cheaper to buy big boxes rather then 2 small boxes. I said I had to buy the little ones because of allergies. He says "Oh, the peanut thing, eh?" He looks around and points out a BIG BOX of the peanut free. 40 bars for $5.99 . If they had the Rocky Road I would have bought it. :lol: Anyway, just wanted to let you all know to look for the big boxes if you enjoy these - it is definitely a better deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:29 am 

Thanks AnnaMarie - I didn't even know there were big boxes. I will have to ask my store manager for those - Max really likes them. The Rocky Road ones are like chocolate bars.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:55 pm 

I have a feeling that stock in Quaker Oats is going to go through the roof!!! :D

Post subject: Quaker Oats Bars
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:24 pm 

Can you tell me if they are also safe for Tree Nut allergic people.? Thanks

Post subject: Peanut Allergies
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:29 pm 

Isn't it great that companies are finally realizing that there's a whole other market out there when they include the Nut Allergic Population?!!! My kids brought the bars to my attention and we've bought several boxes already. I'm also going to contact Quaker and thank them for this huge step they've taken but I have a suggestion for anyone else who wants to contact them. Perhaps we can take this one step further and suggest to them that when they need to do another printing of their boxes, they could change their logo to say "Peanut/Nut Free" not just "Peanut Free". Many of us who are peanut allergic are also allergic to other nuts - these don't contain other nuts but I have seen products that state peanut free yet have other nuts in them. That can be misleading and dangerous to many people. So, if a company is trying to get the Peanut/Nut allergic market, they need to clearly state that on their label. Often it is under the ingredient listing but not in the stand out label on the front of the box.
So how about it? If you contact them, perhaps add that suggestion? They're truly trying, just need to tweak their labels a bit. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:07 pm 

So true. I had a beautiful dream that they would use 'Enjoy Life' soy/dairy free chocolate chips in their choc chip granola bars !!!! Had to pinch myself!

Could you imagine if some of the larger companies caught on to the fact that by producing products catering to those with food allergies and sensitivites, they'd be able to see more???

I could only hope that this is the start of a wonderful trend in the food industry. Quaker- YOU ROCK!!!

Post subject: Quaker Oats Bars
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:28 pm 

Well. then I will go to purchase them in the morning. I will read the box to be sure and safe..this seems hard to believe. What a wonderful corporation to think of those of us.

Post subject: Re: Quaker Oats Bars
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:07 am 

monty wrote:
Can you tell me if they are also safe for Tree Nut allergic people.? Thanks

I had the same question. There is more info in this thread:

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=868

Post subject: Quaker Granola Bars
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:34 am 

Well, this is getting good! Does anyone know where I can find the "Enjoy Life" products? My A&P doesn't have them. I've seen them advertised in Allergic Living so have been on the lookout but have yet to find them. Help? :)