You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Aquariums and the Beach
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:57 pm 

For all the Fish/Shellfish allergics out there...do you avoid the beach and aquariums. We have just had a new Aquarium open in Atlanta and I have hesitated going as I am reacting to inhaling fish/shellfish. I saw a special on TV about their facilities and how many pounds of fish they prepare each day as food. (Got nervous just watching it on TV...thank goodness for Paxil :lol: )

Also, my husband's family is getting together at the beach this summer. We would have a room with a kitchen, so food wouldn't be an issue. But do you or do you know of anyone that has had a reaction on the beach? Sitting, playing in the sand, etc...

Just trying to calm my fears,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:26 pm 

I do sailing, but I am not the one sitting on the edge of the boat with both feet in the water :shock: ... I am actually the one that doesn't want to touch a rope if it is wet (I still have the image of the rope falling in the middle of a group of little fishies playing with it :? ... I had imagined it, but seeing it was too much!!!!) or put my big toe in the water :? I have extremely sensitive skin so just water splash is enough to cause a rash... but I can't really compare, I sometimes have the same reaction from taking a shower :?

If you have shellfish allergy, I would say to stay away from the beach... there is no better place for cross-contamination as many things that are in the sand are shells... last time I went I met a dead fish next to the water :shock: ... if you have ever seen someone run away from a beach like her life depended on it: that was me! :lol:

As far as the aquarium... well if you have inhaled or touch... probably not the best place as fish tends to be everywhere... and people not really carring about what they touch!

Well, that's my paranoid version of life ;)

Mylène

Post subject: Go to the aquarium!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:21 am 

My son is anaphylactic to all seafood & shellfish (he's 12), and he loves the aquarium. We were advised by our allergist that he could possibly react if he touched a fish and had a cut on his finger. But he can certainly go and has no problems (in fact, he just went last week and ended up on TV! ... but I digress) Also the allergist informed us to avoid being close to fish when it is being cooked because of the possibility of fish proteins floating in the air as there have been some reported cases of this. And this isn't likely to occur at an Aquarium!

So, we go to the aquarium and to the beach, we have to be careful he doesn't cut his feet so should wear sandals.

You might want to speak to your allergist who knows the severity of your allergies and get his advice. It would be a shame for you not to go if it was safe, and you take necessary precautions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:23 pm 

just a quick note that fish proteins can be in the air even if the fish is not being cooked. I know at least one person who reacted to a can of tuna being opened... ME :? and also reacted to those grocery stores that have the open air fish... and the fish market and... well you get the picture... Fresh fish can have the same effect as cooked fish... My allergy is extreme I admit, but just wanted to add to the previous comment.

Mylène

Post subject: shellfish on beach
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:33 pm 

Daisy, it was so good to hear someone else with the same fears. Although at the same time I wish this on no one. :( I asked my allergist, 5 wks ago, the same question & she still hasn't gotten back with an answer. Someone in the peanut section mentioned her son reacted to peanut shell on his sneakers after being to a stadium (if remember correctly). Everything else cleaned except sole of sneaker. Would the shells from beach on sandal sole react the same and cause ana?

My problem goes a bit further. My mother's cottage has seafood in it all summer and being a cottage, groups eat in the living room at all available spaces. Plus many yrs of annual lobster parties. Plus, while playing board games in living room up to 10 people will be eating shrimp on crackers or shrimp rings. You know what it is like, you touch everything on the gameboard, chairs, doorknobs etc. No one washes their hands after consuming just one shrimp at a time. So....my 2nd queston to my allergist was - will it ever be safe for me to return to her cottage? And, how long does the allergen protein remain active on nonwashable surfaces. One chemist told me it takes years to break down and that every surface with my allergen is a potential danger zone. My family is so upset I refuse to go there. They say if I am careful surely I can go?

Does anyone else have this problem with seafood homes of relatives? In houses it is mainly in kitchens, but cottages tend to have it everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:54 am 

I have the same problem---but with peanuts and nuts (and, to a lesser extent egg....I'd like to see peanuts and nuts at least locked in cupboards for the duration of my stay..for egg, I'd like to see handwashing after consuming egg-containing products).

It sounds to me like your family does not understand the seriousness of your allergy. They shouldn't be upset at you for refusing to go to the cottage.....why couldn't they just not eat shellfish for the duration of your stay? (I ask this knowing how complicated these issues can get!) would you be okay if they gave the cottage a thorough clean before you arrived and stayed shellfish free for a period?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:58 am 

Lisa, my family is a hard one. They believe yet don't believe. They understand yet don't understand. They just want to include me in all family activies. When you don't have another "episode" since the diagnosis one, they tend to think (in their own mind) it is all better although they really do know it isn't. They also know that with my beta-blockers the epi-pen will not help much (should I go ana) especially having to travel from cottage to hospital. Going fast, 1/2 hr. Pretend, pretend. pretend. :roll:

They know not to have my allergen while I am there and respect that, but they could have it the night before, day before etc. The problem with a lot of seafood (lobster, shimp) is that it squirts. You crack open a lobster, or bite into a shrimp & it is hard to say where that juice will land. Spots amd distance you would never think of. Plus the old rug on the livingroom floor. Another area I did not think of until now. As I said, at the cottage everyone eats where-ever. The cottage is rough, not a house interior easily cleaned. As far as cleaning, the cottage is old with lots of crevices and old upholstry. Walls are panelled in some areas. The curtains are not home washable. Most of the furnishings do not have washable surfaces. Actually, most of the cottage is not washable (some areas are bare wood) in the sense of sterilizing for my use. From what the chemist says, those seafood juices could be active for many years and if my hand etc comes in contact I could transfer that old allergen to my mouth or into my body by cut etc.

I guess I am more paranoid than others because of my needing my beta blockers. For me it has become an extreme battle to find and avoid my allergens. To me my life is worth more than a fews days at my mothers cottage. The risk is high.
Those fews days could cost a lot more than they realize. That is my problem.

I am going by the 3 A's
Awareness
AVOIDANCE
Action

If it were just a friend who had this cottage I would not worry so much about it. But, as it is Mom's and she lives there for summer and all the family heads there it does make it difficult. As someone on this forum once said - we have to accept our allergies and move on. Easier said than done at times.

Well, I have whined enough about my problems. Will go now. Have a great spring day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:40 pm 

oh I see--the cottage doesn't sound safe! about those beta-blockers---I wonder if activated charcoal would be a good thing to have handy. there was a study done on it in the Journal of allergy and clinical immunology....by Dr. Peter Vadas, I believe (but it has been awhile since I've looked at it).

there's some info. on Dr. Weisnagel's site (this is such a *great* site):

http://www.allerg.qc.ca/peanutallergy.htm#charcoal

obviously, activated charcoal (which one can buy in a pharmacy) would *not* be a substitute for epinephrine. but it might be worth asking your doctor (or perhaps this would be a question for the "ask the allergist" column) if it might help when epinephrine won't do the job.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:01 am 

I had a reaction--not bad--at the wonderful aquarium in Baltimore in the area where the open tanks are. :cry: I've been having airborne reactions at the grocery store and at parties where shrimp is served, so this is no great surprise. I don't have to medicate or anything when this happens--I just have to remove myself. But this isn't boding well for going to the beach.

Edited to add that I am shellfish allergic.

Last edited by McCobbre on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:07 pm 

Oh dear--that's one heck of an allergy! Someone in my family has a severe seafood allergy . . . I'll make a mental note of this in case she has any reactions near live fish! Her airborne reactions have only been to *hot* fish or to when fish is cooking . . . so hopefully she will never be that sensitive.