You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:42 am 

Personally, I prefer that a thread be posted the way it is. If I've already read it, I'll open it to the most recent page and scroll down to the most recent dates. But, if I haven't opened it yet, I like having it in it's proper order.

Also, since this is the way all the other forums I go to are set up, I hate having one that is *different*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:36 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
I wish that when I opened a thread I would enter at the most recent post since my last visit. ...

I asked about this and apparently it's not possible at the time. We shall just all have to continue scrolling, I'm afraid.

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Thu May 04, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_Susan_ wrote:
I wish that when I opened a thrad I would enter at the mst recent post since my last visit. ...

I asked about this and apparently it's not possible at the time. We shall just all have to continue scrolling, I'm afraid.

K.

Lol, how about spell check? It seems that my keys stick and I hate to see my poor spelling quoted. :oops:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:39 am 

Too funny - I'm an editor by trade and almost fixed the spelling, but then chastised myself for being too ****. ;) But I've fixed up your original quote - so you if you fix yours, no one will be any the wiser....

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:01 pm 

I really like the "ask the allergist" idea. Might be difficult...and costly...to implement, though. (too bad there wasn't gov't funding for this sort of thing.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:36 pm 

I have been extremely busy and was unable to visit the forum for a while.
I was able to "view posts since last visit" which was great but I was unable to read all of them (2 pages of posts) can we somehow mark the ones that we were unable to finish reading so that we can continue where we left off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:42 pm 

I shall ask the webmaster. I'd like that too, but I have a feeling the answer will be "can't be done" (unfortunately).

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:07 am 

Sil wrote:
I have been extremely busy and was unable to visit the forum for a while.
I was able to "view posts since last visit" which was great but I was unable to read all of them (2 pages of posts) can we somehow mark the ones that we were unable to finish reading so that we can continue where we left off?

If you go to the main forums page you will notice that some headings have yellow folders and some have white. The yellow ones have threads that you have not viewed since the last post. When you go into that forum, again you will see some titles have yellow folders, and some have white. Again, the yellow are the topics you have not read since the last post.

Also, within each individual forum in the upper right, you can click to mark all threads as read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:34 pm 

You're right, AnnaMarie. The only snag is that if you don't read all the new posts in one sitting, the next time you log in, the system doesn't recognize that fact, and doesn't continue to flag them as new/yellow. So sometimes you can miss new posts if you didn't read them when they were first flagged as new to your system. (Hope that makes sense!)

I asked the webmaster about this, because it was driving me a little nuts, and there's nothing to be done, apparently.

And Sil, for your request (which is perhaps what I was requesting, in a different way), I was told that it can't be done without significant cost. And since this forum is free to all, incurring extra costs isn't something that AL wants to do at the moment.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:49 pm 

Karen,

Well, I hate that it has to come to this... but like most forums, I think this one needs a Code of Conduct to clearly state what behaviour, posts and private messages are unacceptable.

You can do a google search under "code of conduct forums" and find some examples and then tailor them to this site. Here are a few examples (not allergy related but you get the general idea).

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=33.0

http://forums.heavengames.com/support/tos.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:48 pm 

Thanks Storm. I will look into this.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:37 am 
Site Admin

There are some many great websites mentioned as resources or links!
Is there an easy way to search through just the websites posters have linked through their posts?
I'm not very computer savy, I stumble onto something and tend to stick with it. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:52 am 

Susan, I would have thought using the Search tool would work - for example, searching on "www", but I just tried it and got no results, which I find very strange. I have a message in to the webmaster to see what he says. (The Search tool is available by clicking the red Search at the top of the page.)

I will report back when I hear from him. I'm not sure of any other way.

We COULD start a list as a sticky in the Resources section. If you think that would be a good idea, just start it and I will edit it as time goes on so that it remains as one post within a sticky (rather than a bunch of posts).

Is that an okay "option 2"?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, that's great.
That way Allergic Living could have better control and the moderator could clean it up from time to time if 'undesirable' websites were linked there.
:)