You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:11 am 

Along with Epi-Man and Epi-Man Jr., I'll be interviewed on CBC Radio One’s Freestyle show tomorrow afternoon (Friday May 5/06).

The show mentioned an allergy study being done in Australia where they will be getting kids to eat dirt (well, not quite, but something along those lines), and I thought it was a good time to write in about my two little superheroes (whom you can see at http://www.epi-man.com). And they were interested!

Details about how/when to listen are below.

I figure it's a good opportunity to get the word out about living with anaphylaxis. The producer I spoke with had actually administered an EpiPen when he was a camp counsellor (camper had a bee sting reaction) and has young kids himself, so he was quite sympathetic to our cause.

K.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 3 ways you can hear Freestyle (http://www.cbc.ca/freestyle).

Live: Freestyle is heard weekdays on Radio One. You can check this link to find out which radio frequency: http://www.cbc.ca/frequency/

The show is heard between 2:06 and 4:00 pm except for:

Toronto: 1:06 pm and 3:00 pm
Winnipeg: 1:06 and 3:00 pm
Vancouver: 2:06 pm and 3:00 pm (first hour only)
Alberta: 2:06 pm and 3:00 pm (first hour only)
Newflnd: 2:30 pm and 4:00 pm (first hour and a half only)

Live streaming on the Internet: Freestyle is broadcast live on the Internet according to the broadcast schedule above. Go to the map at http://www.cbc.ca/listen/index.html and select a location that’s currently broadcasting the program.

Sirius Satellite: Radio One is heard on Sirius Channel 137. Check the schedule below for when Freestyle is heard:

http://www.cbc.ca/sirius/r1_sirius_schedule.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:45 pm 

Good stuff Karen! :D

I will definitely attempt to listen to your little guys and you getting the word out about allergies!!

I think your Epi-Men are adorable! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:19 pm 

Thanks Nicole. :)

K.

Post subject: epi man
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:33 pm 

Karen I had to laugh out loud when I saw the link with your son's photo. I thought that epi man was merely a cute nick name for your kids. I too have had the real epi man in my house for some time, he is 4. A child's imagination is a wonderful thing.
stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:23 pm 

Karen, I just finished listening to the broadcast. You sounded very good on the air, very articulate and your little guy was really cute.

It's great that you had a chance to talk about Sabrina and Sabrina's law. Her family is remarkable and I thank them every day for the work they did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:19 pm 

Thanks Nicole and Stephanie!

I thought it went quite well. It was actually fun to talk to them - I listen to the show a lot when I'm not working and really like their format.

It's funny - I was making lunch and trying to keep the kids quiet and then basically did the interview and went back to eating lunch. They taped us just after 12 noon, and then put the show on at 2 pm.

Epi-Man and Epi-Man Jr. are definitely "real" people. We are working at taking on a new challenge. Epi-Man wants to "dare" some food companies to make more dairy-free food that is safe for Epi-Man Jr. We might call it the Dairy Dare.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:40 pm 

Epi-man was very articulate too :) I can tell that he loves his costume. I thought it was great that you managed to spread awareness about Sabrina's story as well.