You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:04 pm 

Is anyone planning on taking part in the AAIA run/walk in Whitby Ontario on May 7, 2006? Our family is considering attending, and I wondered if others are considering it. For more info, check out the following link: http://www.aaia.ca/ and look under the Events tab for the following info:

2nd Annual AAIA Ontario "Triple A" Run/Walk
Sunday May 7, 2006 in Whitby, Ontario

This year's event will feature a 5KM and 10KM Run and Walk. The event will be chip timed. There will be a family barbecue and prizes after the event. All funds will support allergy, asthma and anaphylaxis research and education.

Please consider participating and/or sponsoring a runner/walker.
Online donations to the event also possible.
Find out more and register/donate online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:17 pm 

My family (well DH and I with DD 2yrs & DS 5mths in strollers) are planning on participating and raising money. Although truth be told I'm a bit worried about the BBQ??? I have a feeling we'll be avoiding it. Has anyone participated before? Is it a friendly walk for strollers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:03 pm 

My husband, 7 yr old daughter and 4 yr old son (he'll be in a wagon) are planning to attend. The cost for a family is $60, and you have the added bonus of a year's free membership with AAIA. If you wish to attend as an individual, the cost is $25 (early bird entry until April 30) and still have the benefits of a free year membership.

We will be bringing food for our son with multiple food allergies - in spite of the fact that this is an AAIA arranged event, and awareness of food allergies is high, we still know it is unlikely food will be present that he can eat. Whenever food is present, we will bring something similar for our son - we try to closely match it. We'll have a hot hamburger patty in a thermos, and bring along his own bun and condiments, etc. etc. We make sure we don't touch other food and then touch his food, and we bring wipes, etc. Our 7 yr old daughter does not have food allergies, but she is equally as careful.

I hope we will meet other people at the event!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:10 am 

If you would like to take advantage of the early bird entrance fee, today is the final day! Make sure you sign up yourself or team today. Hope to see you out there!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:43 am 

If anyone is considering taking part in the walk tomorrow, you can still register on-line or you may register tomorrow, in person, right at the event. Registration is between 8 am - 9:30 am, and the walk begins at 10 am. The cost for an individual is $30 and $75 for a family of 4.

Looks like the weather is going to be great - high of 15 and sunny! From the picture I've seen, it looks like the walk takes place right along Lake Ontario, so it looks beautiful.

What a great way to raise funds for research dollars for Asthma and Anaphylaxis, and a great way to meet others living with this condition.

Hope to see you there!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:38 pm 

I just wanted to say that I thought this event was great. And I met Julie & her family. Hopefully more people will come out next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:53 pm 

I thought it was a great event too! And it made a big impact on our kids too - both of them wanted to wear their AAIA t-shirts to school today! My 7 year old daughter was asked to speak to her class about the event (I was unaware of this until I picked her up from school), and I was so proud of her when she told me about what she had to say. She was able to teach her class something new today, so that's quite something for a 7 year old to know more about something than her own teacher!

From what I heard from another participant, the event was attended by about 300 people - which was nearly double last years attendance. A fairly substantial sum of money was received to put towards allergy and asthma research from some very generous donations.

Mygirlsyd, it was nice to meet you and your family. Hope to see you again next year!