You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:05 pm 

So this weekend was beautiful here in Cobourg but could my children go outside to enjoy it? NO!!!!!!! Our neighbours behind us choose to spray their yard with some heavy duty chemical. The smell in our backyard on Saturday afternoon was so strong - it was almost like the smell of Scotchguard (that's what it seemed to me). The smell was still there on Sunday and I can still smell it today. We played in our front yard and inside. I am so ticked that someone's right to a green weed free yard trumps the health and safety of my children. My daughter has asthma and multiple food allergies and my 2 year old son loves to put dirt in his mouth still. Oh and our brand new sandbox is right near their property line.

Not that it will make a difference but there is no rain forecast in the near future. People are so stupid. Sorry if I am going to insult anyone here - but how can people think that putting toxic materials on their lawns will not impact their own health and the health of others. All of our neighbours around us use some form of spray on their lawn. One neighbour believes that it just disappears in the rain and then it won't hurt us. Hello .... If it just disappeared then how does it continue to work on their lawn?

Sorry for the rant. This issue really upsets me. Our town is working on a ban on the cosmetic use of pesticides. My husband is on the town environmental committee lobbying for the ban. Hopefully some improvements will come soon to our town. Has anyone else had the same experience? How do you approach your neighbours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:44 am 

I totally agree that pesticides should be banned and that they pose a danger to the allergic. (I asked a doctor at Allergy Expo, a conference held in Toronto a year ago, whether he would recommend that his patients should avoid pesticide exposure people and the answer was a resounding yes. I wish that allergists would take a more public environmentalist stance. The research is out there.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:38 am 

I agree 100 %!!!!! People are so obsessed with their lawn! I don't get it. It's just not a priority for me.

We weed by hand. Once a week, it takes us maybe 15 minutes at the most. It's free and healthy. I refuse to add more pollutants than necessary. I had that discussion with my husband for a long time and I think I finally got through to him.

I feel the same way about huge SUVs and other gas guzzlers. We have to do more for the environment. I strongly believe that pollution plays a huge part in allergies and asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:50 am 

Many communities across Canada are banning cosmetic pesticides, including the entire province of Quebec. You should write a letter to your town council asking them to consider a ban in your community - they can't consider one if they don't know residents want one, right?

Since you're in Cobourg, I've included a link to the nearby Peterborough's pesticide bylaw: http://pestinfo.ca/documents/Peterborou ... 5-077_.pdf Perhaps you can include that link in any letter you write. Good luck!

Here's a link to the woman who started it all: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/en ... t62si.html Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring is the foundation of the modern environmental movement and I don't think we can be reminded too much about this book. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:48 pm 

Thanks for the link---I'm putting _Silent Spring_ on my reading list.