You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:45 pm 

well I haven't posted in awhile. we found out that katarah has celiac disease. so now i have to avoid milk, wheat, gluten in everything. things have been crazy. we also found out she has an iron defciency, asthma, sleep apnea. which hopefully can heal with removing her tonsils. my world has been crazy.....ugh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:18 am 

That is a lot to deal with. It means a big adjustment in your diets, it's hard enough avoiding milk and now having to substitute the wheat and gluten products...

I know somebody with celiac disease and I know how hard it is to find substitutes that taste as good, but give yourself time to adjust. Things won't seem so bad after a while. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:57 pm 

Thanks for letting us know! Celiac disease would be tough to deal with--sorry to hear about that. That explains why your daughter was having trouble gaining weight....that would also probably be why she is anemic. I hope she is feeling better now....I know that with celiac an improvement is not always instantaneous. But once her gut heals, I would bet she will be doing *so* much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:18 am 

I Just found out a month or so ago that I have celiac. It's no big adjustment for me however, because I've already know that I am allergic to wheat and oats. Rice pastas are good. I like them. Namasta has some good pancake mixes. Haven't tried their cake mixes yet but I will next month for my sons birthday. Wish me luck! ;)
I hope you have a health food store around to help you find the right stuff for her to eat. Here's a link for a informative Celiac site: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showforum=49

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish