You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:13 am 

If you look under shopping under the title New Allergy Free Products, Enjoy life products already have this question posted there with a couple of possibilities

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:26 am 

TMcG wrote:
I could only hope that this is the start of a wonderful trend in the food industry. Quaker- YOU ROCK!!!

Let's not forget companies like Chapman's and Dare. They were first off the mark. My daughter could live on those Bear Paws! She said that when she looks around the cafeteria, at least one kid per table is eating them! And the school sells the peanut/nut free Chapman cones! If kids start bringing the Quaker bars, the school becomes a little safer... Not enough for my daughter to let her guards down, but just a little... :D

By the way, the Rocky Road bars are amazing! Haven't tried the S'mores yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:53 pm 

You should be able to get them from the Hospital for Sick Children's Specialty Shop at
http://www.sickkids.on.ca/specialtyfoodshop.

If not... you can contact their Canadian Distributor- Sunopta at http://www.sunopta.com. They've been pretty helpful in directing me to several local stores where I have been able to buy/order Enjoy Life products.

Not to take away from Quaker, but Enjoy Life make some safe and tasty snack bars too (soy /nut free so I can eat'em).

Post subject: Quaker Oats Bars
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:53 pm 

Hard to believe. I will actually purchase these. Quaker has always been a fore runner In producing products that are safe for peanut allergic individuals as well as tree nut allergic people. This is very encouraging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:14 am 

WARNING

I was out buying some of these bars. Quaker also has a new line of chewy granola bars that have peanuts and nuts in them. Some are the same flavours as the peanut free ones. It was VERY easy to tell them apart.

But, when they say *read the label every time* they mean it.

I am not complaining about this. I think it's great that they decided to set aside a place to make a variety of peanut free bars, and I'm not complaining that they are still making some not safe for me. I just wanted to make sure people let their kids know that NOT all Quaker chewy bars are safe - even if it's the same flavour.
[/b]

Post subject: Quaker Oats Bars
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:40 pm 

I have not seen the box/product yet in my grocery store. Though I assume that the ones safe for peanut/nut allergic individuals are made in a different factory so that there is absolutely no possibility of cross contamination. Does any one know this to be certain? I know that Quaker has a great reputation for producing products on dedicated lines that are safe for some of us.

Post subject: Re: Quaker Granola Bars
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:01 pm 

Pepper wrote:
Well, this is getting good! Does anyone know where I can find the "Enjoy Life" products? My A&P doesn't have them. I've seen them advertised in Allergic Living so have been on the lookout but have yet to find them. Help? :)

Pepper, in the Toronto area you can also buy these products at The Big Carrot (on the Danforth, just west of the Chester station) and at Whole Foods (Avenue Rd., north of Bloor, on the east side). The Big Carrot sometimes has really good prices for Enjoy Life cookies.

I'm a fan of the Specialty Food Shop too. The dieticians there are very helpful if one has questions about nutrition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:51 pm 

In my small town, lucky to find any thing that is new and out there for allergic persons, so to speak. Sorry, but cant help you out. I hope that you do find the food products that you are currently looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:38 am 

Pepper - check out a health food store if you have one in your area. I've never seen the Enjoy Life products in the "regular" grocery stores but there is a health food store I shop at that has a few of their products and is more then willing to order anything in that we might request. If you can't find it at a local health food store, ask them if they'd order them for you. I believe the min order for Enjoy Life for retailers is 6, so it's not like they have to do a HUGE order.

Post subject: Re: Quaker Oats Bars
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:50 pm 

monty wrote:
I have not seen the box/product yet in my grocery store. Though I assume that the ones safe for peanut/nut allergic individuals are made in a different factory so that there is absolutely no possibility of cross contamination. Does any one know this to be certain? I know that Quaker has a great reputation for producing products on dedicated lines that are safe for some of us.

There are no peanuts in the facility. There are almonds in the facility for another product but they are pretty much treated like toxic waste (just kidding - but they appear to be taking very thorough measures to be keeping the almonds far away from the peanut-free Chewy bars).

I feed them to my peanut- and nut-allergic son and I'm very careful about what I give him.

K.