You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sesame free Hummus
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:51 pm 

We always have a picnic on Easter, and we never ever pack sandwiches for picnics--it's an unspoken rule.
I've developed a sesame allergy, and I meant to try an edamame-based recipe for a hummus-like spread but forgot to buy edamame.

So we thought we'd try to make hummus without tahini. DH is so brilliant. He did it. Instead of tahini, he used creamy Sunbutter! It worked beautifully. There was only a little hint of Sunbutter. It was virtually identical--and after a few sips of champagne, no difference at all!

:lol:

BTW--I'll post the edamame hummus-like spread sometime under this thread. It sounds good, although I've not tried it yet. And it's obviously not for the soy allergic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:50 pm 

I ADORE hummus, and my husband, 7 yr old daughter and I used to eat it frequently. But we haven't had it in 3 yrs, and I miss it. I would love to see your recipe, but, for our family, I suspect it still will likely be out for us... our son is also supposed to avoid chickpeas and other legumes (with the exception of soy and green beans). But still, please post it - I'm sure others would appreciate it!

Post subject: Recipes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:30 pm 

Well, this is the traditional hummus recipe with Sunbutter subsituted for tahini (but I'm not sure that this is exactly what DH followed--for example, this recipe calls for dried chickpeas, and we used canned--and probably a whole can, not 1/4 c):

¼ cup dried chickpeas
drain & place in pan with water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, redue the heat and simmer until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Remove the chickpeas to a food processor or blender and add:
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tbs creamy Sunbutter
1-2 cloves minced garlic (I'd go light here--the Sunbutter variance doesn't allow for heavy garlic)
salt to taste
parsley

Puree until smooth, adding 2-3 tbs of cooking liquid as needed. Place in serving bowl and garnish with a dash of paprika if desired

--------------------------------------------------

I thought I clipped the article from our paper with an edamame spread that is like hummus, but I can'f find it. I have found one from the our paper, the 2/19/06 edition of The Houston Chronicle, that is similar that is from fava beans. Sounds yummy, and I imagine you can substitute edamame/soybeans for the fava beans.

Fava bean hummus-like spread
2 cups fava (broad) beans (fresh or frozen)—cooked, cooled and shells removed
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic—minced (crushed)
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

PLACE ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, scraping the sides occasionally. Spoon into a small bowl to serve with pita bread.

Post subject: Re: Sesame free Hummus
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:14 am 

McCobbre wrote:
Instead of tahini, he used creamy Sunbutter!

Can I ask where you found your Sunbutter? Do you live in Canada? Because I used to be able to buy it here (Ottawa area) but no longer. And I've tried really hard to find it - calling distributors and everything.

When I tried to order it online (U.S. website), I was told that they would no longer send it up to Canada!! It's the most amazing product and I am so bummed that I can't find it up here anymore.

K.

Post subject: Re: Sesame free Hummus
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:57 pm 

KarenOASG wrote:
McCobbre wrote:
Instead of tahini, he used creamy Sunbutter!

Can I ask where you found your Sunbutter? Do you live in Canada? Because I used to be able to buy it here (Ottawa area) but no longer. And I've tried really hard to find it - calling distributors and everything.

When I tried to order it online (U.S. website), I was told that they would no longer send it up to Canada!! It's the most amazing product and I am so bummed that I can't find it up here anymore.

K.

I live in the States (Texas), and I can only find it by ordering online through their US website. You can't order it through the Canadian website? I usually get to the Canadian website first. In fact, during a recent customer survey, I mentioned that.

If it's not verboten to mention, you can do a search on Sunbutter on the boards at peanutallergy.com (use the search function), and you may find some Canadian stores that sell it. I know lots of Canadians on that board use it, too. I've read that some people buy it at a store called Hannaford's, but I'm not sure if that's in Canada or just somewhere in the northern US. I can't imagine being able to buy it at a store. How wonderful.

I can get peanut free soybutter (IM Healthy) from Whole Foods grocery store, but not Sunbutter--or we've tried Peabutter, too. We love Sunbutter the best (I get crunchy, DS likes creamy). DS has a peanut allergy. He also has a small soy allergy, but we don't have to avoid soy completely. We just minimize. He's vegetarian, so we do use soy sometimes (he loves edamame!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:52 pm 

Wow - I had no idea. I just took at chance and tried http://www.sunbutter.ca and got the Canadian site! Gotta love this forum. :)

Just FYI - the US site is http://www.sunbutter.com. But you probably know that by now.

I had no idea that you could still get SunButter in Canada. Those toads at the US-based head office told me nothing about that when I contacted them. They were no help at all. Grrrrr..... :evil:

We love SunButter - I agree that it's much better than any soynut butter, and my oldest is allergic to all legumes (except soy) so we don't do the pea butter.

Anyway, looks like the Canadian website is based in Manitoba, but maybe they will ship to me... Or else I will become a distributor!! (Not really.)

THANKS!!!

K.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:21 pm 

Mmmm. This is fabulous! DH and DS just made this. I got the recipe from the Houston Chronicle, April 5. Will not be helpful if you're avoiding soy.

Edamame Spread (hummus like spread--very similar in taste)
Coarse salt and ground black pepper
2 cups frozen shelled edamame
3 large garlic cloves, peeled (DH used 1, and it was perfect--3 would be too much)
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
Veggies, rice crackers or chips for serving

In a medium saucepan of boiling slated water, cook the edamame and garlic until edamame are tender about 5 minutes, drain. (I think DH used a little garlic salt instead of adding garlic here)

In a food processor, puree edamame, garlic, lemon zest, juce, oil, and 1/2 cup water until very smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl. If needed, think by adding water one tablesppon at a time. Season w/ 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon peopper.

Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day. Serve.

Makes 4 servings, each 115 calories, 4.1 grams fat, 8.2 grams protein, 10.4 grams carbs and 4.2 grams fiber

Post subject: Sesame free 'hummus'
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:18 pm 

Two other options if you need something quick:

1. use only the chickpeas with oil in a food processor. It's missing the sesame flavour but is a reasonable stand in. Flavour as you like (i.e. cumin, chilis...)

2. use chickpeas and blend with plain soy or dairy yoguart to desired consistency

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:06 pm 

http://www.motherhemp.com/recipes.html

I found a recipe for hummus (and tahini) using hemp seeds.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject: ALL seeds?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 pm 

My 3 year old son was just diagnosed with a sesame allergy. The allergist suggested that he avoid all seeds. I have been reading labels on all kinds of foods and first, was alarmed at how prevalent sesame is in the first place (esp since it's purported to be such a virulent allergen) but then was surprised to find sunflower oil and other sunflower products in so many sesame-free items (giving me the so close but yet so far feeling). Do most sesame allergic people avoid all seeds or are they distinct?