You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Herbs and Spices
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:10 am 

Where do you buy your dried herbs and spices? The Spice House of I think Milwaukee (sp?) USA is supposed to have X contam-free stuff that "couldn't possibly have sesame X contam." Penzeys told me to call and that some of their stuff is packaged on shared equip with sesame and some isn't.

I grow some and buy some and dry it out in the summer but other stuff I buy. I plan to order from The Spice House and just got their catalogue. I worry about sesame X contam and would like to know what has been fine for the rest of you. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:06 am 

lakeswimr -- I use McCormick Spices -- I can't be sure about sesame cross-contam. but when I called about peanut/treenut here in Canada, they assured me that there was no problem with their individual spices (spice blends were not necessarily safe). The woman I spoke to was very informed. Perhaps you could start with a phone call or email to them?
Quote:
McCormick follows the FDA's Compliance Policy Guide "Statement of Policy for Labeling and Preventing Cross Contact of Common Food Allergens" to ensure consumer safety concerning food allergies. If you would like information on any specific product, please key that product name into the McCormick.com search box above or contact our Consumer Affairs Department:
* Call 1-800-632-5847, Monday-Friday, 9:30AM-5:00PM Eastern Time (also gives you a link for emailed questions)

I took the above quote from their US website: http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=10595

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:19 pm 

I use McCormick too. But for some spices which I go through more quickly I buy no name brand. Not sure if that is a good idea. probably not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:25 pm 

I've noticed more companies are starting to label their spices for "may contain" which includes soy & sesame. I'm really starting to think about growing my own herbs to use in recipes.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:55 pm 

Mygirlsyd, Are you able to tell us which companies and which spices you have seen this "may contain soy or sesame" information? This is really scary!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:30 am 

Sorry I don't remember the brand name. I'm a compulsive label reader now :) So even when I don't need something I'll still glance at labels to see if they list allergens. I was at A&P though. And I know my Mom bought some from someplace that listed cross contamination with peanuts/nuts.

I'm not surprised - it's always been a fear of mine. I'm sure most dried spices are at risk of cross contamination but companies are just starting to label for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:36 pm 

I have a chilie powder by "Smart Choice" (I belive it is the IGA store brand) and its warnings include: may contain traces of wheat, soybean, milk, eggs, sulphites and sesame seeds!
Wow -- talk about cross contam. -- 6 of the 10 top allergens!
The problem could be that the chilie powder is a "spice blend" and not a "true" spice -- I've noticed that "spice blends" tend to be more likely to be contaminated with trace amounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:09 am 

Whenever I see labels like that, I figure that the spices or spice mixtures are all run on the same production line and so they just can't guarantee that there isn't traces of the various allergens in each product.

Don't you sometimes wish you could visit the manufacturing facility so that you could see what is going on, and understand why they are putting the various warnings on? I do.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:45 pm 

I called Club House about a month ago, and they left a message on my voice mail telling me that their products are made on shared lines, and that they couldn't guarantee that there wasn't sesame cross-contamination.

Is Club House the same company as McCormick? If so, I wonder which of the messages we've heard is correct.

In any event, I also grow my own herbs. It took a while to get the hang of it, but I grew a lovely garden consisting of a number of annuals and perennial herbs, and clipped off a few leaves at a time when I cooked. I also harvested the leaves several times, freezing them in freezer bags for the winter.

The herbs I grow are: Sage, sweet basil, dill, oregano, thyme, peppermint, spearmint, rosemary, parsley, and chives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:52 pm 

Andrea - I found this info on the Club House web site ( http://www.clubhouse-canada.com/content.cfm?id=10254 ) :

Quote:
1989 - 1990
A merger with another McCormick & Co. acquisition (Stange Canada) subsequently changed the name for McCormick & Co.'s full Canadian branch to McCormick Canada Inc.. The Club House Brand remains the largest and most significant product line for McCormick Canada Inc.

So it looks like they are the same company, but perhaps the issue of cross-contamination depends on which product line is involved ... ? I guess you should ask a customer service rep your question.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:35 pm 

I contacted McCormick / Club House Canada via their website a while ago and just received this response. While my query was specifically for peanut/nuts I thought others would also benefit from the info. I made a follow-up call to ask about cross-contamination issues and the rep. I spoke to said that you won't find any "may contain" statments on their products because they have very strict guidelines for manufacturing. Some of which include: yearly allergen training for employees, all raw materials are labelled for allergens, each allergen is given it's own specific symbol and employees are trained on identifying them, their lines always run spices/spice blends that do not contain any top 10 allergens first (start of the day) and then those that contain allergens run thereafter. Once the line has been used with any of the top 10 allergens, the line is completely disassembled and washed thoroughly - she said that they don't control for airborne particals beyond their mixers having large curtains around them. I feel that they "get" the whole allergy thing and have a strict schedule for processing so I suggest that it's worth giving them a call to discuss your allergens specifically.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us regarding our McCormick Spices and Club House
products. Our facility is a peanut and tree nut free facility. The common
top ten allergens that are used in the manufacture of some of our products
are always specifically identified in the list of ingredients. These
include:

* Peanut and/or Peanut Oil - not present or used at all
* Tree Nuts - not present or used at all
* Soy
* Soya Oil
* Dairy Products
* Gluten (Wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, triticale, kamut) or any protein
containing part thereof and hybridized strains of these grains.
* Egg Products
* Fish Products
* Shellfish
* Sulphite
* Sesame
As well as sensitive ingredients
* Corn and/or Corn Gluten
* Tartrazine (Yellow #5)
* MSG
* BHA
* BHT
* Celery Stalk / Leaf
* Poppy Seed

We are aware of special allergies and intolerance to ingredients such as
peanut and nut. At McCormick Canada, we follow the Food and Drug Act and
the Packaging Labelling Act. Therefore ingredients are declared on the
ingredient statement of each product label. On products such as pure spices
and herbs, which do not contain allergenic ingredients, you will not find
an ingredient statement. The only ingredient present is the original spice
or herb to which nothing else has been added.

If you have questions regarding any of our products, please do not hesitate
to contact me via email or call our toll free number, 1-800-265-2600.

Sincerely,

Consumer Response Representative
McCormick Canada
www.clubhouse-canada.com

Last edited by ethansmom on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:33 pm 

That's useful to know--they do seem to get allergies. I will trust them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:34 pm 

Thank you for posting that ethansmom. Very useful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:29 pm 

Thank you Ethans mom! That really helps a lot. So far, we've never had a reaction due to cross-contamination of spices, but we will be buying McCormick/Club House from now on.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:22 am 

Thanks ethansmom. As you said, they do seem to "get" the allergy thing.

:) K.