You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:58 pm 

I just received my June 5th issue of Maclean's magazine. The featured cover page story is titled " The Allergy Epidemic" . I can't read my copy because two issues ago, they started sending me copies that had fragance-scented advertising inserts. Both instances were ads from the WESTIN RESORTS. I suggest readers boycott WESTIN until they get the point that fragrance-scented ads are just not wise in today's allergy aware consumer population.

I contacted Maclean's to cancel my subscription or put my name on a non-fragrance scented adverting distribution list. It should have already been on that list.
I demanded and got a one month extension to my subscription.

I have also written to WESTIN and voiced my displeasure with their fragrance-scented ads.

I suggest other readers join a writing campaign and let advertisers know that fragrance-scented advertising is a problem in today's ever-growing allergy population.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:49 pm 

Hi jbdpm,

Welcome to the forum. It's kind of ironic that this ad would appear in a magazine with a cover story on allergies, isn't it? I always request scent-free issues for my magazines subscriptions (I can't tell you how much I HATE opening a magazine and smelling that nauseating perfume. I get an instant migraine and am dizzy and nauseous for an hour).

I'm intrigued by these Westin ads... I couldn't find anything about them online. Can you describe what they are? What is the scent they use? I've only heard of scented ads from cologne and perfume companies that insert the strip that you're supposed to pull apart and sniff (but I can smell those ads even before the strip is opened).

As for being on a non-scented distribution list... when you initially called Maclean's to request this, did they tell you how long it would take? From what I remember, it takes 6-8 weeks to make the change because magazines print out their labels in advance.

Good on you for calling Maclean's and making them aware of the issue. The letter to Westin was also a good idea. Keep us posted on their reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:12 pm 

Has anybody read the article? Is it worth buying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:12 am 

I think it's worth picking up. A very kind person mailed me her copy of the magazine and I think it's a great article.

Good overview of the various concerns, discussion of why allergies are on the rise, and info about what's coming down the pipe.

What I really like is that the "hook" story is about a little girl who is severely allergic to milk, rather than peanuts or nuts. I know they're all equally scary allergies to those of us dealing with them, but some people still just don't believe that a milk allergy can be life-threatening. It helps to have a national magazine point this out. They even quote a leading allergist who says that although it's not the typical "presentation", it would be misleading to say that severe milk allergy is rare.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

If you don't want to buy the magazine, check out your local library they might have it. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:42 pm 

I'll just go sit at my dentist's office to read it... :lol: Just kidding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Of course, I'm always for buying magazines. :wink: But now that it's off the newsstand....

The Maclean's article can be found online at:
http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/healt ... 132_128132