You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: epi-pen help please.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:19 pm 

Has the docter ever gave you anything becides an epi pen to use when your tounge swells up ? Does anyone know of anything els as far as medications can be used for this ?My docter cant give me an epi-pen yet cause im on heart medication right now.
The only thing so far I can use is a pill called (LORAZEPAM) 1 MG
I have to put it under my tounge when I have a reaction and take 50 mg of Benadryl.
If you know of anything els I can use please tell me.I am going to see my docter later today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:02 pm 

Sorry, I have no idea. I'm glad you're seeing the doctor today.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:18 pm 

I AM NOT OFFERING ADVICE -- JUST SOMETHING TO ASK DOCTOR ABOUT.

When I used to react to cats my doctor prescribed a puffer (not sure what kind, but usually used for asthma). I also, occasionally used it when I had a reaction to a food that caused a lot of coughing, and a squeaky voice.

I don't know if that would help with your particular reactions, or if it would be safe for you. I also do not know if this is usual treatment for allergies - only that in my unique situation it helped.

Post subject: morning
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:29 pm 

Yep IA have a puffer that use when i have a bad reaction but it dont help my tounge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Maureenreen, I hope it went well at the Dr's and he/she was able to offer you something to help with the swelling. It's pretty scary when you can't use the regular medications as that tends to be what people discuss most.
:)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: Susan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:32 am 

The docter called me on the phone last nite and he told me to take 100 MG of benadryl if my tounge swells up.

Post subject: Not advice, but . . .
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:46 am 

I have had an ana reaction to chamomile, and this is what I did to help me. This is not advice--just what helped me. DS is PA, so we always carry a small vial of liquid benadryl in addition to his Epis.

After putting on some lotion on my hands in a store, my hands swelled up, my nose ran like a faucet, and my tongue swelled up. My lips swelled, too. I took his vial of liquid benadryl and bathed my tongue in it before swallowing each swallow. It helped right away.

That's the only reaction I've had exactly like that (I had another somehwat similar one shortly after--but not so much swelling). I'm ana to shellfish, and those reactions are GI only really, and I use liquid benadryl for those, too--and it just feels good when it hits my stomach. Basically, for me, the liquid starts working on the affected area on contact.

You might want to ask your doctor if tablet or liquid is preferred--or if the Triaminic (purple) cough & cold strips that are 12.5 mg of diphenhydrmine are okay. they melt in your mough, and I use them sublingually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:07 pm 

that's one severe chamomile allergy!

Post subject: WOW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:57 am 

I am going to do that now at least try it and see if it helps my tongue with the liquid benadryl .I never heard of that at all.Its sounds great.