You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:42 pm 

Can you freeze it? How should I wrap it to ensure max freezer life? Plastic Wrap & foil?

May seem like a silly question but I really have no clue. I know the shelf life of home made bread is only about 3 days max. Any help would be appreciated.

My husband & I are going away for almost a week in August and my parents wll be watching the kids. I'd prefer to make the bread/buns/bagels ahead of time and freeze them for them instead of expecting my Mom to make the bread. She'll have her hands full as it is with a 2.5yr old and a 9mth old at that time.

Thanks
J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:56 pm 

We keep our "homemade" (breadmaker-made) bread in the fridge, and it's okay for more than 3 days.
As for the freezing part of things, I would wrap it in foil (after it's well-cooled) and then put it in plastic freezer bags. If you're wanting to freeze it for more than a month, maybe it would be good to add the layer of plastic wrap over the foil, too. To be honest, I haven't frozen any homemade bread long-term, but I've seen others do this.
Hope that helps! Enjoy your time away. : )
Marla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:43 pm 

Mygirlsyd, We freeze our homemade bread fairly frequently - I've kept it in the freezer as a backup, for maybe up to 1 month (? not quite sure how long), and it freezes really well - you wouldn't even know it's been in the freezer! I just slice up the large 2 lb loaves in half, and put each half loaf into a freezer bag. I don't wrap it in foil, or anything (although, that's a great idea... guess I'm just too lazy!) I freeze our homemade buns ALL the time, and they are great afterwards as well!

Have a great trip away!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:01 pm 

I freeze bread and buns regularly - just in a plastic bag. I try to slice it first because sometimes I don't want to take out the entire loaf, just a few pieces.

I also freeze pizza dough in plastic bags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:33 am 

Thanks! I thought it might be possible but wasn't sure. I like the idea of cutting the 2lb loaves in half too - and preslicing them. I hate throwing out half a loaf just because we didn't eat it in time.

I'm also trying the fridge to have it last a bit longer.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!