Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:05 pm 

Julie wrote:
I don't want it to sound like we EXPECT others to just accommodate us - how selfish does that sound!

Julie, I don't think that asking others to be considerate of your child's very particular needs is selfish at all. You are not imposing on people, you are just keeping your child safe.

The problem however is that a very large percentage of the population is still ignorant and doesn't get it and it's a tiring and frustrating process to try to educate them. My SIL for example, practices reiki, an ancient form of healing touch, something I more or less believe in and she thinks she can help my daughter's allergies with this.... :roll: (I keep reminding myself not to leave my daughter with her, in case she does reiki instead of using the Epipen.....). She thinks we should switch to organic foods and that will solve all her problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:10 am 

In an earlier post I wrote:

Quote:
I would ask the organizers to please let the others know about the allergens and to please avoid bringing them. Most people are very understanding and willing to comply

I just wanted it to be known that I don't "expect" others to comply but if I ask there is a better chance that others would "not" bring their allergens than If I don't ask.

As for spur of the moment picnics we do it often. In my trunk I keep a rubbermaid box full of paper plates, napkins, plastic ustensils and cups along with a table cloth and blanket. So if we are enjoying ourselves at the park my husband will go to the nearest supermarket or concession (If it is a safe one) pick up some precut vegetables and baby carrots along with some fruit or whatever else is safe and looks good. And there we have a picnic.
In the years to come The kids really won't remember the food but they will remember the fun they had and the time we shared as a family.

Susan,

Perhaps you could take a train. I'm not sure of cost etc. but if you called maybe they could arrange a room (sorry can't remember the correct term" for you that is cleaned and clear of your son's allergens. That way he can run around and you won't need to bother with the other travelers. (I once traveled with my 3 yr old nephew on a plane. He fell asleep and as he turned over he hit the tray of one of the passengers by accident with his foot. Man that guy hit the roof. It was not fun sitting next to him for the remainder of the flight. :oops: ) You would also be able to see the country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:59 pm 

I ended up going to my family picnic this year after all. I don't get to see the extended family all that often, and I do enjoy catching up with everyone. But there's always a price to be paid for going to these things...and a lot of preparation involved. The next morning I seriously felt like I had a hangover. My seasonal allergies were really acting up--it was an all day event out in the country (so there is a lot of pollen! + there was a bonfire.)

I didn't send out a reminder email requesting that the event be nut and peanut free. People forgot evidently. This summer the nut-containing desserts resurfaced. And the person in charge of buying ice cream bought drumsticks coated in peanuts. We do have a large extended family--everyone was eating them at once. Drumsticks are quite messy and the peanuts get everywhere. No one washes their hands afterwards. Thankfully the sister who is the most sensitive to being around peanuts and who has had contact reactions involving a local skin reaction + breathing difficulty and general itchiness did not attend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:02 am 

bumping up...

Post subject: picnics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:04 pm 

I host a largish family BBQ every year ranging with 50 - 100 attendees. It is a pot-luck buffet type affair and I note on the invitation no nuts or shellfish items please. I provide the Burgers & dogs as well as the cake and any additions I feel the buffet table needs. I am quite open about food allergies and purchase special burgers (whole meat-no additives) for my celiac friend, I put aside a salad (without croutons, dressing or cheese) for my crohns friend, and I reassure the kids (3 I knew are nut allergic) that the cake is completely nut free (I order it specifically). Before dinner, I take my wee man to the buffet table (I try to get him there first) and point out the items he cannot eat, but what is "fair game".

I don't mention his egg allergy on the invite as that would severely limit what others would bring, so I need to point out the potatoe salad is not safe for him. But I do buy lots of extra serving spoons at the $1 store to lessen risk of cross-contamination.

I have been hosting this large party for 6 years now and those that do have specific dietary needs have been surprised that I remember who and which food item from year to year. This year I had a great response from the kids as I had one youngster who was very excited he could have cake as he is also allergic to nuts but never seems to get cake at parties outside his own home, and their parents were able to relax as it makes a less worrysome day for them knowing they are at a safe house.

But I also got quite angry at one of my good friends who came late with a dessert tray with nut items - I thanked her, then I gently reminded her that there were 3 children in attendence that couldn't eat these items, as they are life-threatening, and could she please take them back to her car. She apologized, took the offending tray away and we all continued our merry way.

I am much more comfortable hosting with my allergic child than attending, but I do constantly remind him to ask before he eats anything and am amazed that he remembers to ask - even when it is something he "knows" is safe like a freezie.

Be diligent, speak up, defend your child (and others). Try not to be offended others "forget" - people (especially friends and families) aren't deliberate in trying to put each other in harms way. What is "big" or first and formost to us as parents and advocators of allergic conditions may not be "big" to those that are not allergic to anything.

Cheers,
Buzimom - mom of 4 boys ages 14, 12, 11 no allergies, 5 yrs allergic to peanuts, shellfish, eggs & environmental
[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:08 pm 

Great post, so many wonderful ideas. My son is only 2 so we're just getting to this stage. Before this it was very easy to bring his own food everywhere but now we're trying to "relax" and branch out a little.

One thing to add, these events are where I put Griffin's allergy alert t-shirt on. It really helps people to be aware, or even just to remind them to ask me first before giving him anything!

DD Torrin (4) Nothing so far!