You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:23 pm 

The Ontario College of Family Physicians published a 14-month review of 250 studies of the impact that pesticides have on peoples' health. Most of this is not allergy-related, but there is some info. on contact dermatitis. Also environmental illnesses which we might consider to be "chemical sensitivities" are discussed.

see http://www.ocfp.on.ca/English/OCFP/Communications/CurrentIssues/Pesticides/

this is pretty scary stuff! I'm wondering why it isn't common knowledge....(I did, however, see an article in the Toronto Star on this when it first came out.)

They recommend that family physicians warn people about pesticide exposure. In my view, spraying cosmetic pesticides on one's lawn especially if one has children should be regarded as the moral equivalent of exposing children to second hand smoke. I think most people would judge parents who smoke around their kids....but people don't feel the same way yet about pesticide use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:45 pm 

I just noticed that there are other resources on creating healthy home environments on that site.
http://www.ocfp.on.ca/English/OCFP/Communications/publications/default.asp?s=1

also see:
http://www.healthyenvironmentforkids.ca/english/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:25 pm 

In the last few months we have cleaned up our home from chemicals in many ways. Household cleaners, laundry detergent, body products, no more flame retardant PJ's for the girls. All the while, their skin (mostly the youngest I am refering to here) improved drastically.

I started buying mostly organic produce and my youngests permanant eczema spot on her face disappeared. She has literally had that patch on her face her entire life. My husband went for groceries yesterday and bought "non organic" cucumbers. She ate ONE slice and her chin was red, and her spot on her face has flared again.

So, I am getting the impression here that her chemical sensitivity is picking up chemicals in the non organic produce. Not enough to cause a major allergic reaction...but enough to cause the itchiness and eczema problems.

Luckily, I do have a fair bit of access to organic produce through superstore and a local health food store, and many grocery stores have jumped on the organic band wagon with many other products. I also found a local organic farmer who has grain (ancient wheat, oats, rye) who sells to the UK since there is no market here, who is willing to sell to me. I am beginning to feel that eating non organic food is a bad idea for us. When my child is symptom free from eczema and outdoor allergies for weeks and suddenly flares after eating non organic food, I am beginning to seriously doubt the safety of chemical based farming.

I just had to post this, click on the link, and then on play.

http://www.storewars.org/flash/index.html

It is soooo funny!!!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:40 pm 

I also believe in the benefits of going organic and reducing the use of chemicals in my home...your post made me think of my son's skin sensitivity. Due to the acidity of certain fruits and veggies, at times the skin around my son's mouth has also been left red after eating them -- not to discount your thoughts as to the cause -- but just thought I'd suggest this as a possible cause too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:36 am 

Thanks for letting us know. That's great that your daughter's eczema is so much better. I've been buying more organic food as well....it is easier in Toronto. We even have a farmer's market with all organic produce (so we don't have to choose between organic and local).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:51 am 

That Store Wars was so funny! :lol:

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:17 am 

Ethansmom,

Specifically which fruits/veggies aggrivate your sons skin? Are they obviously acidic ones like lemons, tomatos, oranges or is other not as obviously acidic ones as well?

I did suspect strawberries were bothering her for a while. Non organic seem to cause red patches on her face...and some itching after she eats them, but organic strawberries do not do that at all. I have heard since that non organic strawberries (specifically california grown) are very highly treated with chemicals, if fact they are one of the most chemically treated produce on the market.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:57 am 

Love the Store wars video! Ham Solo... Obi Wan canoli!! :lol:

Thanks saskmommyof2!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:12 pm 

saskmommy -- come to think of it, yes, it is the more obvious acidic fruits and veggies that cause his redness. Cucumbers are pretty non-acidic...so probably not the cause of your daughter's redness. I did some browsing on the net and I don't know if your daughter experienced any other symptoms with the redness on her face to suspect OAS but thought this quote was interesting (taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_Aller ... e#Symptoms ):
Quote:
Allergies to a certain pollen are associated with OAS reactions to certain foods. For instance, an allergy to ragweed is associated with OAS reactions to banana, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, zucchini, and cucumber.

You're probably right on the money with your suspicion of non-organic produce -- because our children already show a sensitivity to their environment through allergy, I don't doubt they would feel the impacts of these pesticides/chemicals more readily. I have also read about strawberries and how they are the worst for pesticide absorption because of the fact that they don't really have a skin that we peel, etc. Organic is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:58 pm 

Thanks for the Store Wars site, saskmommy. That's a really clever way to get a serious point across without being preachy. I laughed out loud at the start, when Obi-Wan Canoli referred to "Young Cuke".

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:07 pm 

I worked at a store that was spraying lots of pesticides and it was getting very ill and I figured out what is was and quit. Pesticides are EVIL.. Use neem oil and other natural alternatives, they are even available at Wal-mart now.