You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Frozen summer treats
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:32 am 

With the hot weather here it's freezie and popsicle season. We have used Kisko freezies in the past and I picked some more up last week. The company number is on the package and I called again just to confirm that nothing had changed since last year. The woman I spoke with confirmed that there were no traces of milk, nut or eggs in the freezies and none of those ingredients are in the plant. We have also used Chapmans popsicles in the past. Are there any other seasonal treats that other people use?

I also took some freezies into the school for my daughter to have in case a frozen treat was brought in by teachers or by other parents. This happens often in June. Play days at school often have some frozen treats served. At my husband's school play day they actually still had the game of carrying a real egg on a spoon around a race course. No egg allergies at his school but I was surprised they actually used real eggs! He was not an organizer of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:07 am 

1. Last year I called about No Name freezies and was told that they are made in a dedicated facility that is free of all priority allergens. The one allergen they mentioned that might cause some people concern is tartrazine (a colorant, right?).

2. We also buy Chapmans' Lolly Rockets.

3. My youngest likes Tofutti's Totally Fudge pops. http://www.tofutti.com/sticks.0.asp They're pretty tasty, actually, and dairy-free.

4. We make home-made popsicles with juice. :) (I realize this isn't store-bought - but the juice is!)

5. With our ice cream maker, we make slushies out of Koolaid.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:06 pm 

I've taken frozen strawberries and put them in my blender, added some frozen lemonade concentrate from the can (for sweetness) and then just enough fruit juice (I used orange) to allow for the blender blades to turn and crush the frozen strawberries. Blended it up and then poured (you're left with a thick mixture) into plastic popsicle makers and refroze. You end up with a pretty delicious strawberry fruit freezie that isn't rock hard (like it would be if you froze fruit juice alone). Come to think of it, you could use any frozen fruit and juice/juice concentrate combination. Not great for travelling, but a good treat for home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:11 pm 

I just realized that I was in the "shopping" thread and not the "recipes" thread...sorry Karen, feel free to move my post if you think it best...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

We eat No Name freesies and So Good soy ice cream with No Name ice cream cones.

We make popsicles using a package of jello 2 cups of water and 2 cups of juice. They have a nice texture, not as hard asa straight juice.

We eat a lot of fruit. I find that a melon baller makes fruit seem more interesting. This year I'm going to try fruit kabobs.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:42 am 

ethansmom wrote:
I just realized that I was in the "shopping" thread and not the "recipes" thread...sorry Karen, feel free to move my post if you think it best...

Well, it's my fault, since I started talking about home-made stuff. :)

I'll leave it here, but maybe we could start a similar thread over there. Or maybe I'll just point to this discussion to keep us all from going snakey. ;)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:06 pm 

So good chocolate and PC oranics chocolate soy milk frozen into popsicle makers would be a good substitute for fudgecicles. To me PC organics choc tastes like melted fugdecicles (sp?).

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:08 pm 

My daughter has peanut and nut allergies and we use Mr. Freeze and C-Plus freezies.

Post subject: Re: Frozen summer treats
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Bump

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb