You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Scent Free Workplaces
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:15 am 

This is a huge issue for my best friend and I we are both VERY sensative to scents. We've found it very hard to get the point across in our workplaces that "scent free makes sense!"

anyone else find this a HUGE hurtle in the workplace?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:42 pm 

There is something in place at my workplace for that, we have signs all over... but as I have learned over the years: some poeple simply don't get it!!!!! Most people comply with the "policy", but some people have told me "you can't be allergic, it's just a little to smell good" :? ... how do I politely say that I follow her trace to wherever she's gone over the past hour just by following my nose! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:50 pm 

yeah, i work with people like that, i work at an arena and there are people that i know i can't go into the change room after, which sucks cause then i'll go change in the public bathrooms, and ihave to keep my stuff with me while on shift.. they just don't get it!!

it's tough tho cause to me they are REALLY strong scents that linger for like hours but for them they're ike but its a light fregrance or whatever and i'm like it's not i've often had to tell people to at the very least wait until i'm out of the change room, to jsut spray the stuff so i don't end up having a sneezing fit, or worse an astma attack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:24 pm 

Hi guys -

I just posted a new Resource about a document from The Lung Association called "Developing a Scent-free Policy for the Workplace" that might be of interest. Details at:

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1135

I realize that it takes a lot more than a document to make an environment safe - it really takes an attitude shift - but I thought I'd point it out just in case it contains some helpful info.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:21 pm 

that was VERY helpful, thank you for that, i might have to take that up with my boss, because i'm getting very frustrated with asking people to be more careful with what they spray at work